Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fits of coughing causing vomiting

Options
  • 02-01-2012 10:39am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 1 year old has the tail end of a bad dose.. We ended up having to put him on a course of antibiotics which seem to be doing the trick, however the cough seems to be staying with him.

The Doctor told us that he will probably have the cough for a week or 2 even though he's feeling generally well in himself.

The only thing is, he often goes into bouts of coughing while we're feeding him and 3 times now he has ended up vomiting while he's coughing and we have to re-feed him and some times have had to re-dose him with his antibiotics because he will have emptied his stomach :( not nice for any of us.

Anyone have any tips on how to prevent the vomiting when the coughing starts? Or is this something we just have to put up with until it goes?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think it might just be something you have to put up with... he's obviously very chesty... are you doing all the tricks with steam/humidifier... anything to loosen any phelgm that might be on his chest and causing him to cough so much.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah we've been sitting him over bowls of hot water for a little while here and there, on our laps of course.. don't have a humidifier but I think we may invest in one..

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Sorry to hear your little man is having a rough time of it xzanti! My lady is only just got over a cough before Christmas -that took about 4-5 weeks to shift! Not quite as severe yours by the sounds of it but it was similar in that she didn't seem to be bothered by it at all until she had a coughing fit. Other than that she was happy out, eating, sleeping and playing as normal. We never got her antibiotics, doc and nurse in the practise both said it would shift itself after a few weeks and just to keep up the hot steam and karvol, tilt the matress etc. I think it might be coming on again with her teething so think I might invest in a humidifier too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My one year old has a cough as well, I normally give her jars/pouches for dinner and I found the lumps were making her gag and bringing on the coughing during a feed. So I've gone back to giving her the pouches for 4 months+ which are smooth until the cough is gone. She hasn't been sick from coughing since. (Probably just jinxed myself now!)
    We normally give her toast and things like that too but theyre also making her gag at the moment so avoiding them.

Anyway might be worth giving your baby smoother food til the cough is gone to see if that helps.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks for the replies..

Yeah we've started just giving him little bits and pieces to nibble on as opposed to feeding him big bowls of stuff.. it's the only way we can make sure he stays full :o

Tayto Snacks have been a life saver for us the last few days, even though we normally don't encourage junk food... also he ate some mash off our plates earlier, and some toast soldiers for his tea..

He caught the dose off me.. next time I have a snuffle I'll be wearing disease masks around him.. I kid you not!!! the stress of having a sick baby.. specially at Christmas.. ruined his whole week :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement