Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to pay the Household Charge?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 12:26pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to pay the household charge but i cant seem to find anywhere online.

i was given this site householdcharge.ie but it doesnt seem to be working!

any leads would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

irishbird wrote: »
    I am trying to pay the household charge but i cant seem to find anywhere online.

Make the cheque payable and addressed to;

Angela Merkel,
    Chancellor of Germany,
    Bundestag,
    Reichstag Building,
    Berlin,
    Germany.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's http://www.householdcharge.ie - whoever developed the website didn't add the non www. alias.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

gerryo777 wrote: »

Angela Merkel,
    Chancellor of Germany,
    Bundestag,
    Reichstag Building,
    Berlin,
    Germany.

Well done!

what an hilarious post :rolleyes:

what an hilarious post :rolleyes:
    It'd be funny if it wasn't true....:rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's http://www.householdcharge.ie - whoever developed the website didn't add the non www. alias.

great thanks, i have paid it there :)

one more off the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Angela Merkel,
    Chancellor of Germany,
    Bundestag,
    Reichstag Building,
    Berlin,
    Germany.

Well done!
    Keep it constructive.
    zAbbo wrote: »
    Someone said this was a web host level setting - very many Irish government sites have the same problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Angela Merkel,
    Chancellor of Germany,
    Bundestag,
    Reichstag Building,
    Berlin,
    Germany.

Well done!

If you want to play the fool- take it to After Hours or elsewhere, this attempt at hilarity, is not appreciated in this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

smccarrick wrote: »
    If you want to play the fool- take it to After Hours or elsewhere, this attempt at hilarity, is not appreciated in this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick
    It was by expectationlost.
    Regards,
    gerryo777

ban expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Which secret bondholder were you hoping to buy cocktails for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    Someone said this was a web host level setting - very many Irish government sites have the same problem.

Twenty seconds in your DNS configuration, generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Which secret bondholder were you hoping to buy cocktails for ?
    People were told to not follow this line of comment.

Victor wrote: »
    People were told to not follow this line of comment.

Jawohl mein mod, I zee exactly where you are coming from, you must betray ze people, but you are only following ze orders. How is ze golden circle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

Is there a list of the unfinished housing estate exempt from the charge. Mine is unfinished but not in a bad state (the builder isn't bust either) but still the roads aren't complete and we have a large amount of containers on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Tango One wrote: »
    Is there a list of the unfinished housing estate exempt from the charge. Mine is unfinished but not in a bad state (the builder isn't bust either) but still the roads aren't complete and we have a large amount of containers on site.

From the website (www.householdcharge.ie) .....

If you have a query in relation to the estates which qualify for the waiver, please contact the Planning and Housing Policy Section of the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government at one of the following numbers:

(053) 911 7398

(053) 911 7402

(053) 911 7397

(053) 911 7399

Ok guys- if you want to be a comedian, take it to After Hours, this is not an appropriate venue for acting the classroom fool. Next person who is incapable of restraining themselves, will be restrained by me, by means of a little holiday from posting in this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Who's laughing ? The billionaire secret golden circle bondholders all the way to the bank with ordinary Irish taxpayers money.

Who's laughing ? The billionaire secret golden circle bondholders all the way to the bank with ordinary Irish taxpayers money.

Temp banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've just been on the site trying to establish if I have to pay or not...typically the FAQ's aren't clear.

According to the website the exemptions are as follows:

• Residential properties that are part of the trading stock of a business and have not been sold or been the source of any income since construction,
    • Residential property vested in a Minister of the Government or the Health Service Executive,
    • Residential property vested in a housing authority, including property where households are purchasing their homes under the Shared Ownership Scheme and where the local authority still retains an ownership stake,
    • Voluntary and co-operative housing,
    • Residential property to which commercial rates apply,
    • Residential property owned by a charity or comprised in a discretionary trust, and
    • Residential property where a person has to leave their house due to long-term mental or physical infirmity (e.g. a person that has moved into a nursing home).

I'm in an unfinished estate - fair enough I could ring the number provided to see if the estate is listed.
    But as I've bought under the Affordable Housing Scheme, would the point on the local authority still retaining an ownership stake apply?
    I've tried ringing that division but can't get anyone on the phone.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm in an unfinished estate - fair enough I could ring the number provided to see if the estate is listed.
    But as I've bought under the Affordable Housing Scheme, would the point on the local authority still retaining an ownership stake apply?
    I've tried ringing that division but can't get anyone on the phone.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'd recommend you wait until next month before calling. No need to panic about it. I'm sure their lines are being bombarded with calls, people wanting to get information, as it seems very poor so far.

You have until 31st March to pay this, so there is no panic.

Paulw wrote: »
    I'd recommend you wait until next month before calling. No need to panic about it. I'm sure their lines are being bombarded with calls, people wanting to get information, as it seems very poor so far.

You have until 31st March to pay this, so there is no panic.

Thanks!
    I'm not in a panic just yet - but knowing how long it takes for local authorities to answer a query I don't want to wait too long either.

I must say it's all a bit annoying - just trying to find out how to pay was a chore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

According to the radio just now, the list of exempt estates will be published online tomorrow.

I've been onto a nice helpful guy via email in the planning dept this is what he provided me with on the unfinished estates.
    when the national survey of unfinished housing developments was carried out last year, these developments were divided into four categories as follows, for which only Categories 3 and 4 are eligible for the waiver:
    (i) the development is still being actively completed by the developer (Category 1);
    (ii) a receiver has been appointed (Category 2);
    (iii) a receiver has not been appointed and the developer is still in place but effectively inactive (Category 3); and
    (iv) the development has been effectively abandoned and is posing serious problems for residents (Category 4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Interesting Data Protection issues with the new site.
    1: Collecting your PPSN
    2: Collecting your IP address
    3: Using Google Analytics which means the data is stored in US..
    4: Linking Bank account/card details to a PPSN number.
    5: No consent sought of use of cookies.
    6: No time-limit on holding of data.
    Knock Knock etc

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

I've been to webpage and while it loads I cannot figure out how to create an account. Im pretty sure they have disabled the links

Its is not a good website.

As for humorous posts, surely a ban, temp or otherwise, is excessive, and verging on ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

Looks like the government is going to have a bit more work to do before the http://www.householdcharge.ie website should be used: http://obriend.info/2012/01/04/household-chargea-data-protection-kerfuffle-in-the-making/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anyone get a list of exempt estates yet?
    I cannot see it on their website yet.

I have contacted them but am waiting for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lahinch_lass

curious about the exempt estates myself.. the estate I'm in is almost finished but the roads are still below drain level and there's a nice big crater in the middle of the road outside my house. also there's a few parts of the estate which were to be built on but have basically become vacant lot now. the developer is still in business but not active on the estate from what I can see.
    they did a bit of tidy up around one row of houses that were un-sold a few month ago to make them more saleable, but that's been it for a year at least.

curious about the exempt estates myself.. the estate I'm in is almost finished but the roads are still below drain level and there's a nice big crater in the middle of the road outside my house. also there's a few parts of the estate which were to be built on but have basically become vacant lot now. the developer is still in business but not active on the estate from what I can see.
    they did a bit of tidy up around one row of houses that were un-sold a few month ago to make them more saleable, but that's been it for a year at least.

There is an email address on the website that you can send a query to, they respond fairly quickly and let you know if you're exempt or not.

Good news for me, I got an email yesterday to say I don't have to pay as I bought under affordable housing - the CC have less than a 10% stake but according to this email Govt owned buildings, no matter how small a percentage, are exempt from household charges.
    I wonder will that still be the case when they go to bring in the property tax....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

We own an uninhabitable cottage that we're currently renovating. It hasn't been lived in for years, and I can't see us living in it in the near future either.

There's a monthly ESB bill to the property though, for a very small nominal nominal amount, as our nearest neighbour powers his well-pump off our electricity supply. (pumphouse is closer to our place than to his). The bill is in our name, but he pays it. We have a written agreement to this effect.

Does this cottage qualify as a *residential property* ?

Advertisement