Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to pay the Household Charge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We own an uninhabitable cottage that we're currently renovating. It hasn't been lived in for years, and I can't see us living in it in the near future either.

There's a monthly ESB bill to the property though, for a very small nominal nominal amount, as our nearest neighbour powers his well-pump off our electricity supply. (pumphouse is closer to our place than to his). The bill is in our name, but he pays it. We have a written agreement to this effect.

Does this cottage qualify as a *residential property* ?

Its a dwelling with a roof, electricity and most probably a water supply?
    To be honest with you- not only are you most probably liable for the household tax- you probably owe arrears on the NPPR also......

It doesn't matter that you have a written statement that your neighbour is paying the ESB bill- electricity is being consumed at the dwelling- which ticks off the box on the list for Revenue.......... Water supply is another biggie- and also what the initial 100 Euro tax is allegedly in lieu of- given we have not completed domestic metering as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

There is no water supply to the cottage or, indeed on the property at all.

And whilst there is power to the cottage, via an ESB installed external fusebox/meter thingie...there is no wiring inside the cottage whatsoever.

There is no bath, no toilet, no sink, no stove

And thus, going through the NPPR website, in particular the 'legislation' section.

Notably this bit
    2.—(1) In this Act, “residential property” means a building situated
    in the State used, or suitable for use, as a dwelling,

I don't believe it does qualify. It is neither used, nor suitable to be used, as a dwelling in its current state.

Do all the farmers/landowners pay NPPR on the countless run-down/ramshackle cottages dotted around the landscape?
    Ours is no different, its an approx 200 yrs old stone cottage, and hasn't been lived in for donkey's years.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Redkilkenny

There is an email address on the website that you can send a query to, they respond fairly quickly and let you know if you're exempt or not.

Good news for me, I got an email yesterday to say I don't have to pay as I bought under affordable housing - the CC have less than a 10% stake but according to this email Govt owned buildings, no matter how small a percentage, are exempt from household charges.
    I wonder will that still be the case when they go to bring in the property tax....

That's great news - I've an affordable housing property too and I was told by Dublin City Council housing section that I would have to pay:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

That's great news - I've an affordable housing property too and I was told by Dublin City Council housing section that I would have to pay:)

Ask them for the percentage of the charge that they are liable for based on the percentage of your property that they own and see how fast they change their mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nirvana999

As far as I am aware the website collects PPSN details. However I am not aware of any legislation that permits them to collect PPS numbers.

Before you think of completing this online you might just like to check out with them EXACTLY where they get the legal powers to harvest the information and what they intend to do with it..

It is illegal to collect PPS numbers except for "specified bodies".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Redkilkenny

Ask them for the percentage of the charge that they are liable for based on the percentage of your property that they own and see how fast they change their mind!

Got an email saying from www.householdcharge.ie that Affordable Housing Scheme properties are liable:-(

Got an email saying from www.householdcharge.ie that Affordable Housing Scheme properties are liable:-(

and the same query desk told me that they were not...this is going to be an interesting roll out!

I'm going to take a look at the legislation - this greatly annoys me, although I'm not entirely surprised either.

I can't understand how they can say that Govt owned properties are exempt and not include those that signed up to the affordable housing scheme.

I know there are various types of affordable housing, and various schemes but I am not the full owner of my property and I've a list of rules the length of my arm that I must comply with. I also can't sell it without the prior consent of the council I bought it from as they have an interest in the property.
    If they don't want to treat these properties as exemptions then they better think of a pro rata system fairly lively, the hundred euro household charge doesn't bother me, but I'm not going to be happy having to pay a property charge that could be in the thousands of euro region, on top of my managment fees, for a property I don't own in the same sense as someone who didn't buy on the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

thanks for that link redkilkenny..........not that i went on it voluntarily!...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Ha ha ha . . . exempt as Phase 3, which is in another parish, sits stalled.
    We're in our own private cul-de-sac with a separate entrance, finished years ago, only exempt cause we share the estate name.
    :D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I can't understand how they can say that Govt owned properties are exempt and not include those that signed up to the affordable housing scheme.

Government owned properties are indeed exempt from the scheme- however affordable housing is most certainly not classified as government owned housing. There were rules attached to availing of the scheme, and yes, the property was sold at a discount to the open market selling price- however the discount in no manner means that the council (or the government or anyone else) owns a share in the property. The specified clawback is a scheme rule, nothing more nothing less. The stated aim of the scheme was to enable those who were unable to afford their own home, to buy their own home- the purpose of the clawbacks was to stop people availing of the scheme from turning a quick buck (as it were) and selling the property on the open market.

I'm really sorry- but you are liable for the property tax.

In the case of a co-owned property (which affordable housing is not) the council and the private person would be jointly liable under the act- the onus is on the owner occupier to ensure the payment is paid (and if the person is unable to pay it, for whatever reason- then the council itself is liable).

AH properties are not exempt under the act.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Government owned properties are indeed exempt from the scheme- however affordable housing is most certainly not classified as government owned housing. There were rules attached to availing of the scheme, and yes, the property was sold at a discount to the open market selling price- however the discount in no manner means that the council (or the government or anyone else) owns a share in the property. The specified clawback is a scheme rule, nothing more nothing less. The stated aim of the scheme was to enable those who were unable to afford their own home, to buy their own home- the purpose of the clawbacks was to stop people availing of the scheme from turning a quick buck (as it were) and selling the property on the open market.

I'm really sorry- but you are liable for the property tax.

In the case of a co-owned property (which affordable housing is not) the council and the private person would be jointly liable under the act- the onus is on the owner occupier to ensure the payment is paid (and if the person is unable to pay it, for whatever reason- then the council itself is liable).

AH properties are not exempt under the act.

Shane don't make me have to hate you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

irishbird wrote: »
    great thanks, i have paid it there :)

one more off the list

Another one bites the dust!

Congrats on signing an open ended contract they have you by the b"£$$s now

Advertisement