Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me choose with Make-Up Course!

• 02-01-2012 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Ok finally I'm taking the plunge and doing a make up course this year in Dublin.

I want to do an ITEC one to get the best qualification but am a bit stumped as to which is the best!

LA Make Up Academy look great but have full time year courses at 9,000 which is waaaayyyy above my budget! My budget is about 1,500 for the course.

There seems to be a lot of individual module courses that seem quite short and only cover the very basics so can anyone recommend a course in Dublin that they have researched/done that would offer middle ground, a good introduction and more to make up that would give me enough skills to really go for make up artistry without having to do a million follow up courses???

I'd really appreciate some advice as I want to take the plunge but really aren't sure where the best courses are that won't completely bankrupt me!

Thanks in advance!!!:):):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vonage77

I also have decided that I am going to do a makeup artistry course as I've always contemplated it and finally have decided to go for it this year but part time. I would be looking for a course that would cover pretty much what 'fatgirlslim' said above. Any pointers, suggestions would be most appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭tanya2007

i doubt you will get a itec course for that money , you could do a make up artist course in further eduction college but you ill get a fetac level 5 not a itec , with your fees , exams , photo shoots and kits should be around your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭FatGirlSlim

This was the course I had originally looked at and therefore set my budget for http://www.academy.ie/newsite/makeup-courses/itec-professional-makeup-course but I wasn't sure if somewhere like MakeUpFablicious would be a better college to study at and if so I'd be looking at a module 1 course http://www.mkfinstitute.com/module-1-makeup-course.html which ends up around the same price but from the looks of it you'd have to do the second module as well which is more expensive again!

That's why I'd really appreciate some feedback from anyone who has a bit of knowledge of what courses are best or which would be most impressive to future employers? Would really appreciate it, as either way it's a lot of money and I want to make sure I make the right choice!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I did an itec course in portobello for about 900, there are hidden costs though because you need to pay exam fees on top of that and produce your portfolio, you'd need to buy a fair bit as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Yournamehere!

To be honest ITEC really means nothing if you are looking to get into beauty/fashion makeup.
    ITEC tends to be quite old fashioned and the techniques you will have to do for your ITEC exam is completely different to how you will do makeup on clients/models.

€9000 for a course is ridiculous, would never pay that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Hi op

What line of work are you looking to get into?

Why not sit the module 2 with Makeup Academy? tbh it's stars out with all the basics so no need to have any experience starting this.It runs for three months and an absolute gem of a course, I highly recommend it.If you then feel it is for you and you would like to go into the artistry side of Make up, you can then sit it at a later date.

Make up Academy have a great reputation and have great perks ie were you can sit back in on any classes you feel you need more help with and you can call back over a the year from your course ending to take part in photo shoots. They also help in getting you into the industry and employment at Make up counters ect.. (if that's what your after)

I studied at Portobello and got my ITEC cert for Make up, honestly I don't recommend it! Lets just say i found they were not so focused on the application of Make up but of what was in the Make up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hi,

Hope the OP doesn't mind me interjecting in the thread!

I'm doing the Module 1 course in MakeupFab and am hoping to become a freelance MUA and get to work on some make up counters as well to gain some more experience.

I thought that places wouldn't consider you for jobs without an ITEC qualification unless you had a great deal of experience? Will the Module 1 course qualify me to get work on these counters to build up more experience?

Would appreciate any advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I can't speak for all ITEC courses but I did it in Colaiste Dhulaigh in 2010/11 and I urge anyone to stay away from the college.

The reason I did it there was because the price of the course was so good (only €495). I knew we'd have the cost of some materials on top of that too but nowhere in the brochure or application were we told exactly how much. Had to spend at least another €500 on makeup and materials, plus €120 for exam fees, which we hadn't been told about when applying either. Now I'm not stupid enough to not have realised there'd be extras but I would rather have paid more to do it in a different college, where they at least provide part of your kit and there are fewer hidden costs.

Anyway as someone else said, I found the ITEC techniques quite dated. The pictures in the book look like they're from the 90s and it all seemed very basic. Our lecturer was crap tbh, I felt like I could do makeup better than her and I was learning more from tutorials on Youtube.

The course was really badly run and because of a huge mixup with our exam date and lots of other things, we ended up demanding our money back and got refunded for the course and the exam fees.

If I had the money I'd definitely do the LA Makeup Academy course. My cousin did that and her portfolio is amazing.

I can't speak for all ITEC courses but I did it in Colaiste Dhulaigh in 2010/11 and I urge anyone to stay away from the college.

The reason I did it there was because the price of the course was so good (only €495). I knew we'd have the cost of some materials on top of that too but nowhere in the brochure or application were we told exactly how much. Had to spend at least another €500 on makeup and materials, plus €120 for exam fees, which we hadn't been told about when applying either. Now I'm not stupid enough to not have realised there'd be extras but I would rather have paid more to do it in a different college, where they at least provide part of your kit and there are fewer hidden costs.

Anyway as someone else said, I found the ITEC techniques quite dated. The pictures in the book look like they're from the 90s and it all seemed very basic. Our lecturer was crap tbh, I felt like I could do makeup better than her and I was learning more from tutorials on Youtube.

The course was really badly run and because of a huge mixup with our exam date and lots of other things, we ended up demanding our money back and got refunded for the course and the exam fees.

If I had the money I'd definitely do the LA Makeup Academy course. My cousin did that and her portfolio is amazing.

Yeah LA Makeup Academy looks great but I think MakeUpFab looks good too, just checking out LA make up and there's no ITEC exam for level 1 which is a pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 annasworld

i studied make up in La make up and i wouldn't recommend it. i did the module 2 then did the course after ,odule 3. i can't get a job in make-up with my qualification. i am good at make-up but it is pretty much laughed at when i claim to have a degree in make-up (which Module 3 is suppossed to be) my picyure from the course are not great either. i did the make up but they arent good enuf to be in a "professional portfolio" i have been looking for work in the likes of arnotts or brown thomas.

i don't know about the other colleges mentioned but I have been looking at doing a course with a make up range that might get me in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

MY gf was looking at these courses a while ago and spoke to a friend of mine who was a counter manager for Mac and said that they flat out will not accept anyone without an itec qualification. She also told me that in the past they had issues with people from la academy because they weren't familiar with the hygiene practises or client service and were too into themselves being 'the artist'. She did say though that Mac would be arty as a brand so there would be other brands out there that would be much fussier on hygiene and client service that she thought la students could struggle with, and as such directed my gf not to attend la.

Yeah think the ITEC qualification is a must, all these courses are expensive but the more expensive ones seem to be the more impressive so it's worth it!

I'm starting Module 1 in MakeUpFab this month and can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭lemmno

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Yeah think the ITEC qualification is a must, all these courses are expensive but the more expensive ones seem to be the more impressive so it's worth it!

I'm starting Module 1 in MakeUpFab this month and can't wait!

Hi smokey eyes
    Just wondering how you got on with this course? I'm thinking about it but I've heard very mixed reviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Just as a point of interest, I've heard great things about the part time ITEC make up course in Marino College, and it's about 600 euro. A friend of mine went on to do this AFTER spending a bomb on one of the LA Academy courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

Senior College Dun Laoghaire offer a Diploma in Theatrical & Media Make Up Artistry, very popular course!

Advertisement