Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauce/Gravy for Shepherds Pie

Options
  • 02-01-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

For too long have i been using a packet of sauce when making Shepherds Pie.

Want to make my own from scratch.

All recipes and ideas appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I usually fry off mince with finely chopped carrots and onions, and drain off the fat. Then I add about a pint of rich beef stock, a couple of tablespoons of flour, a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree, lots of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and allow to simmer until thick and delicious. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

A tiny bit of red wine helps too.

I also put in a tin of chopped tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Then I add about a pint of rich beef stock

Is that not cheating though :D;)

I want to make my own sauce all the way to make the stock too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I never specified that it had to be shop-bought stock! (Which, incidentally, in my house, it always would be :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I use mushroom soup with it. And some tomatoe purée or ketchup. The family love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

I never specified that it had to be shop-bought stock! (Which, incidentally, in my house, it always would be :pac:)

Ok ok calm down :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is that not cheating though :D;)

I want to make my own sauce all the way to make the stock too..

No you don't. Making beef stock is not a small job. Knorr is perfectly fine, OXO about acceptable, Tesco brand muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

My wife adds Bisto Gravy(only) and its beautiful

My wife adds Bisto Gravy(only) and its beautiful

Good idea - are those the granules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

The knorr stock pot rich beef cube is excellent for Shep pie. its nice and dark looking .

No you don't. Making beef stock is not a small job. Knorr is perfectly fine, OXO about acceptable, Tesco brand muck.

I want to make my own stock, what's fine and acceptable to you may not be to me.

The knorr stock pot rich beef cube is excellent for Shep pie. its nice and dark looking .

Have tried one of these before and found it a bit gloopy and really salty

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

If you want to make your own sauce for this you need to make your own brown stock. This starts with brown bones from your butcher, talk to him/her about getting some off them, they'll tell you when they do their chopping and when to come in and get them. You need to brown the bones and drain off any fat, then you want to cook them in water with veg for about ten hors in total!! It is a bit more complicated than that, I could send you a recipe if you want, but if you put the time and effort into making a decent homemade stock you will notice the difference in your meals.

I'm not having a go at the packet stuff by the way, it's just there is a less salty taste when you use your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

vicwatson wrote: »
    Good idea - are those the granules?

With the Granules,yes

Couple of spoons of the granules into a cup,add cold water,add boiled water to the pan once the meat etc. is cooked then add the cup of mixed Bisto.

Advertisement