Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting TV to broadband

• 02-01-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum

I have a philips net tv and I'm looking to connect it to the Internet.
    We have wireless broadband but you need a USB dongle to connect the tv. Having trouble getting this so am wondering if there is a different solution.
    The tv is beside a phone socket but nowhere near the socket where the broadband comes in. (you can tell I haven't a clue)

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If you have a spare socket near, you could get some homeplugs and use them.
    They basically use your electrical wiring for your network. A phone plug is no real use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I wouldn't go to too much trouble for Philips Net TV, it's a heap of crap, the browser is a pain to use and they have very few apps that are worth using.

Philips are gettting out of the TV busness so I don't expect any enhancement to Net TV. The s/w on my Philips TV (42PFL8404 bought in 2009) hasn't been updated now for several months, I'd say the developers have jumped ship which is what typically happens as nobody wants to be the last man standing in a shop that's closing down.

You can get smart TV via a DVD or Blu-Ray player, that might be your best option but if you're looking to position yourself for Netflix or Lovefilms, I wouldn't rely on getting those services via a Philips TV, by the time those VoD Services are available in Ireland there won't be anyone left in Philips s/w development to enable them on Net TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mcgovern wrote: »
    If you have a spare socket near, you could get some homeplugs and use them.

Only if there is an Ethernet socket on the TV, which is rarely the case.

The OP has not provided enough information for anyone to give any real advice, and since this really has nothing to do with Broadband, I'm closing this thread. Try the home entertainment forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement