Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips on how to keep 1/2 used tubes of sealants from hardening

• 02-01-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

I hate it when you go back to use a tube of sealant or chalk to find everything has hardened.

Any tips on how to 'seal' up a half used tube until the next time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

I get a wood screw and screw it into the top of the tube nossle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,330 ✭✭✭✭phog

The screw is a good idea but if there's a long delay between use then it will have gone off. You could also try wrapping in clingfilm or plastis bag as well.

BTW, depending on the job sometimes I prefer to use fresh sealant than something that may already have lost some of it's adhesiveness and plyability.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I would always leave come excess sealant out of the nozzel and when you go to use it next time, just grab the hardened excess and pill it out and go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Screw in the top. Caulk will last indefinitely this way I've found. If it's silicone it tends to cure though down into the nozzle a fair bit, so in that situation a spare nozzle ( recycle mine from tube to tube so keep spares) avoids throwing out half a tube.
    Some of the adhesives come with threaded nozzles and a little screwtop, which is something they should all have really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Screw off the nozzle and place a bit of light plastic (shopping bag) over the threaded part before screwing the nozzle back on. The I find this is pretty good at excluding air and you can extend the life of any unused caulk or sealant for quite a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Daithi07 wrote: »
    I would always leave come excess sealant out of the nozzel and when you go to use it next time, just grab the hardened excess and pill it out and go again.

I do this also

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

i simply tape around the tip. Airtight.

Advertisement