Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business names??

Options
  • 02-01-2012 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I've been trawling the internet for a catchy name for a cafe I'm about to open (No, i can't think of an original one). The best one I've come across is in the UK. As we are both small businesses in different countries does anyone think this will cause me problems in the future? They use the .co.uk domain, I will be using the .ie domain. Thanks JP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I've been trawling the internet for a catchy name for a cafe I'm about to open (No, i can't think of an original one). The best one I've come across is in the UK. As we are both small businesses in different countries does anyone think this will cause me problems in the future? They use the .co.uk domain, I will be using the .ie domain. Thanks JP.

If they decide to move to the Irish Market, they might go after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is quite a common thing, and can potentially be complicated.

You need to check the community trade marks database to see if they've registered a CTM.

http://www.oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/QPLUS/databases/searchCTM.en.do

You need to be as certain as possible that they don't trade in Ireland under that name.

After that you will need your own professional advice and judgement. Any advice you get here is no substitute at all for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jiggerypokery

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't think there's a chance of them coming to the Irish market so I'd say I'm safe enough. I know lots of businesses take names from the US and oz, I was worried the UK was a bit close to home.

Advertisement