Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever written to someone famous and got a reply?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

brummytom wrote: »
    You're welcome. Remember, those photos are for your eyes only.

Eyes? I gouged them out with a spoon at first glance. Seriously dude, get a chick and empty those things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Wrote a letter to Bruce Springsteen when I was around 4/5. It included several original drawings of my Care Bear and an invitation over to my house.
    I later found out that my mam gave it to her friend to post which she never did. I think they just kept it to laugh at :(

I have no doubt that had the letter been sent, he would have come over to Dublin, we would have married and he be arrested for paedophilia or marriage of a minor or bigamy or something. Just as well the letter wasn't sent then :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

WindSock wrote: »
    Wrote a letter to Bruce Springsteen when I was around 4/5. It included several original drawings of my Care Bear and an invitation over to my house.
    :eek:

I genuinely have tears in my eyes and can't stop laughing at this, in the best possible way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Should have written to Michael Jackson instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Sent Alex Ferguson an invitation to my sisters wedding. Got a response saying he'd be unable to attend due to prior commitments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nolanger wrote: »
    Should have written to Michael Jackson instead.

While I loved MJ too, I wasn't in love with him like I was The Boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Fred from taking back sunday just sent a mail to his side project myspace back in the day twas nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Fancied the (tight leather)pants off Rod Stewart when I was about 12/13, wrote him a letter c/o record company.......
    Silly me, sure I was probably too old for him.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

gigino wrote: »
    I started a thread in Business & Entreprenieur giving out about the Irish version of Dragons Den.
    One of the Dragons responded!
    I guess he / she defended the show - or did he/she criticize you for starting the thread giving out about the Irish version of Dragons Den ?
    And did they reply by boards p.m. ? if so, how do you know they were real ?
    Here's the thread. Someone accused Gavin Duffy of cheating and he replied. No reason to disbelieve it was genuine. :)
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056194327?page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

David Attenborough when I was 9....got a lovely letter back.

I'm still a huge fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Wrote to Bam Margera when I was about 15 and he wrote back with signed pictures.

Wrote to Jamie Heaslip and Cian Healy on twitter and they both replied. Delighted!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Coming up to my 21st my mam sent Jack L an invitation to the party. I cringed when I heard about it but he sent back a birthday card and two signed albums so I dont mind now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Helped out Graham Linehan once via twitter and he sent me a signed script from one of the IT Crowd episodes. What a top bloke.

How did you help him? Did you ask for a script or did he just contact you? That was really sound of him, though.

Unless making contact via Twitter, how do people find out celebrities' email/ postal addresses?

Really interesting thread, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

David Attenborough when I was 9....got a lovely letter back.

I'm still a huge fan!
    I think I'd be more impressed with that than a letter from any other celebrity. Massive respect for the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

My mother wrote to Ardal O'Hanlon during the Father Ted times.
    No idea why she wrote or how she got an address.

Anyways, he sent back a 2 page letter and a signed photo of all the cast members.
    Nice to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Must bash out some letters this year. Any targets?

I sent an email to Jennifer Harmen (poker player) about a poker hand she was involved in. She wrote back to me within a couple of hours. She's nice.
    Yeah, in primary school as part of some project I wrote to Princess Diana about her involvement in trying to bring to an end the use of land-mines around the world. Got a hand written letter and a load of photographs from her a few weeks later.

Nice touch of her to get someone send a hand written letter back to you
    I later found out that my mam gave it to her friend to post which she never did. I think they just kept it to laugh at :(

I have no doubt that had the letter been sent, he would have come over to Dublin, we would have married and he be arrested for paedophilia or marriage of a minor or bigamy or something. Just as well the letter wasn't sent then :eek:

Used to love carebears, watched their moves on repeat, vhs yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

On Twitter got a PM from Kenny Florian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I think I'd be more impressed with that than a letter from any other celebrity. Massive respect for the man.

Lol I thought I might come across as a snob if I said that but I feel the same.

:p

Billy West, the voice of Zoidberg and others on futurama gave me a shout out on a podcast AS ZOIDBERG!!

I also have a signed picture of Laird Hamilton which he sent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

A friend of mine used to write to premiership clubs when they sacked their managers applying for the job, saying that as a life-long fan he knows exactly what needs to be done and will definitely have them winning the league within 3 years. As a result, he had a wall full of an impressive array of framed rejection letters. They might be generic style replies but i think the sheer volume qualifies a mention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement