Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first time surround receiver purchase - questions

• 02-01-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi, im looking into going surround for first time , and wondering if certain things are possible - im pretty technically savvy , but it seems to be a minefield to find the correct system.

i have a samsung LED screen , which has hdmi and mini scart and matching blu ray , and upc box .

all sound goes via an old pioneer amp at the moment to a pair of speakers.

upc picture on tv is slightly behind the sound sync wise - ( scart for picture from upc to tv direct - sound is rca analog from upc to amp )

blu ray is hdmi direct to tv and sound via the amp - doest seem to suffer sync problem.

also im sick of turning volume up and down for ads and loud film passages as my hearing is a bit dodgy.

is there any receiver out there that can take a upc signal and deliver to the tv in sync with the sound ?

and is there one that has a compressor built in to control the volume differences a bit better ?

any advice welcome.

thanks

AB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a similar setup - old amp and relatively modern TV connected via Scart to the UPC box. I have the sound going from RCA 'audio out' sockets on the TV to the amp. so the picture and sound are in sync. If I take the audio direct from the UPC box to the amp. it's out of sync and there's nothing I can do about it because there's no option on the UPC box and the amp. is way too old to have that option.

I understand that my TV (Philips 42PFL8404) syncs the sound based on the image on screen but if you send the sound direct from the UPC box to the amp you have to take what you get and it definitely will be out of sync.

If you get a new AV Receiver to replace your oild amp. you will be able to set a delay on the sound i.e. a time gap so with a bit of trial and error you'll be able to manually sync. the picture and sound.

Can't offer any help on the volume issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

I seen an amp the other day that does the volume it was a pioneer or sony as they were the only two brands Ive looked at so far.
    Have a look on thier websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

re the volume louder from ads i dont think ther is much you can do with that as the tv companies pay the ads louder it is being banned under eu law from 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Most modern AV Receivers have lip sync settings to combat the issue you mention, this can be set on a per input basis, i.e. UPC Box. Also if you buy a receiver you need a speaker package, so again, you can set the volume, particularly the centre speaker to certain volumes on certain inputs, but you might need to head toward mid-ranged receivers for that, but no matter an external speaker would be miles better than TV speakers anyhow.
    IMO you should also buy a home firmware upgradeable Receiver also. HDMI is a moving target. One example is the new Star Wars Bluray have major issues on receivers around two years old that are capable of HD sound, people are reporting distortion on the surround speakers. Firmware upgrades fix this, but like most in Ireland that would probably involve posting it off to another country at your cost. More and more receivers are now coming as network ready, which should help this. Popular brands, are Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer etc..

Advertisement