Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annestown, where's the pub?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

Why doesn't Annestown have a pub?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tradition! Its a dry town, er village er hamlet. Dunhill is the nearest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I believe that at one stage the whole village was originally owned by one family and a public house was never built there as a result.
    Though I could be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

In a nutshell back in plantation times all tenants had to sign that a pub could not be operated on their land (so they wouldn't be able to get enough money to buy their own land IIRC) for like 150/200 years and we are now one hundred and whatever years into it.

That's what I have been told anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

Finnbar01 wrote: »

For health and safety reasons, it's just not safe to roll up or down the hill after a feed of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 minnie me

The village was owned by one family for years and they simply never allowed a pub in the village !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

minnie me wrote: »
    The village was owned by one family for years and they simply never allowed a pub in the village !!

That's what I heard.

I heard they were strict methodists and would not allow alcohol to be sold in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 minnie me

Yes Finbar01.you are 100 recent right !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Does it even have a shop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Its the only village in Ireland i think without a pub and/or a Catholic Church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

ziedth wrote: »
    In a nutshell back in plantation times all tenants had to sign that a pub could not be operated on their land (so they wouldn't be able to get enough money to buy their own land IIRC) for like 150/200 years and we are now one hundred and whatever years into it.

That's what I have been told anyway.

Would the same have applied in say Portlaw and Villierstown or were they different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You can have wine in Annestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

marlin vs wrote: »
    You can have wine in Annestown.
    And Christmas cake

Big Lar wrote: »
    And Christmas cake
    And cream eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

what about cornflakes?

sponge_bob wrote: »
    what about cornflakes?
    Bring your own milk cause the cow's are known to go off the cliff's to have a swim with the seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

feck sake:mad:

Advertisement