Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap water or bottled water?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

I was talking to a friend of mine, from Wicklow, and we chatted a bit about the "drinking habits" in Ireland, this time regarding the water. I come from Italy, and I used to drink mainly bottled water. However, since I'm in Ireland, I switched to tap water, mainly because the bottled water available here, in my opinion, often tastes awful (much worse than tap water). Which one do you drink more often, and why?

Which water do you drink more often, and why? 28 votes

Tap water
    0% 0 votes
    Bottled water
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Due to the difference taste of water from around the country, I mainly stick to bottled water. I would drink the water from the tap in my Dad's house(where I grew up) but no-where else. I have lived in my own house for the last five years and have one of those fridges with the filter so only drink the water from there. I find my water very clorinated(sp) even though I think it comes from the same resovier as my Dad's.

I also lived in Mayo for two years and never drank the tap water there either. I thought it tasted awful.

Bottled water in Ireland is very expensive compared to the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I tend to buy a bottle of water once a week (maybe less) and just re-use tap water in it. A friend said something about plastic leeching, but it hasn't done any harm to me yet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Leeg17 wrote: »
    A friend said something about plastic leeching, but it hasn't done any harm to me yet :p

Bisphenol A, nasty stuff.
    A significant amount of bottled water is just tap water anyway.
    Awful for the environment, plastic rubbish, transport and energy costs.
    The 'ingredients' are actually largely contaminants and in quite high concentrations.
    Bottled water gets nowhere near as much testing as mains water.

In general the best tasting and by far the best value water you'll get is filtered tap water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

tricky D wrote: »
    Bisphenol A, nasty stuff.
    A significant amount of bottled water is just tap water anyway.
    Awful for the environment, plastic rubbish, transport and energy costs.
    The 'ingredients' are actually largely contaminants and in quite high concentrations.
    Bottled water gets nowhere near as much testing as mains water.

In general the best tasting and by far the best value water you'll get is filtered tap water.

Deep Riverrock from Coca Cola being the most famous example of tap water.

Bottled water started really in 1984 when Ballygowan was launched on the Late Late Show. How times changed.:pac:

www.bizstartup
    Founder of Ballygowan Geoff Read was laughed at on RTE’s ‘The Late Late Show’ in the early Eighties, with people asking who on earth would pay for bottled water. Twenty-seven years later Ballygowan had unveiled its two billionth bottle and is now a top-five employer in Newcastle West, Co Limerick, producing 60 million litres of bottled water a year. A joint-venture partnership for the production of Ballygowan was negotiated with Richard Nash and Co, one of Ireland’s long-established soft-drinks manufacturers, in 1984. Various acquisitions and deals followed, and today the Ballygowan brand is managed by Britvic Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I drink mostly tap water but only when it's been through my Brita jug when I'm at home because our water is yuck. When I'm out I drink bottled water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Those who like filtered water should check out the Bobble water bottles. Initially expensive to buy, and you need to change the filter like you would a Brita, but in the long run is cheaper than always buying bottled water

1081.jpg

I hate Irish bottled still water, I think it all tastes chemically or something. If I have to buy water when I'm out it's usually Volvic or sparkling Ballygowan.

I was living in New York over the summer and the tap water is great - the best in all 50 states I was told! Took me a while to get a taste again for the water at home when I returned.

Day to day I just fill a metal camping type of bottle I got in TK Maxx with tap water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

Tap water! Even if I had the money to spend on bottled water, I would always rather water STRAIGHT from the tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tap water, all the way. The environmental impact of bottled water is absolutely appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Tap water. Why? 'Coz it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Tap water. Why? 'Coz it's free.

For the moment......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I drink water all day so tap for me. Makes no difference as long as I am hydrated and it doesn't have an obvious funky taste off it. I buy bottled for the bottles or when I am thirsty and on the move but I feel like a complete mug each time. I wish there were a lower cost bog standard bottled water to buy. Bet no one would know the difference.
    Although I must say the Bling water was the best water I ever tasted....must be the Swarovski crystals ruminating a special electromagnetic diamante energy into the water that filters it to the finest of of fine H2O.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Generally drink Irish bottled water - whichever brand happens to be cheaper at the time cos it tastes nicer than my tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I almost always drink tap water… but the cat gets bottled water :rolleyes: (have to keep an eye on the calcium levels for him cause he’s a delicate little flower!). Bottled water generally tastes better, but I couldn't be bothered paying for it on a regular basis when I can get it from the tap.

I always drink bottled water when I’m away though just to be safe… except in Rome! Even my Dad who never normally drinks water loved the water in Rome.

The only time I’ve drank bottled water over tap water in Ireland was during the big freeze and they lowered the water pressure because of all the burst pipes. I thought that made it taste much more chlorinated and it was starting to irritate my throat :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

WindSock wrote: »
    Although I must say the Bling water was the best water I ever tasted....must be the Swarovski crystals ruminating a special electromagnetic diamante energy into the water that filters it to the finest of of fine H2O.
    Is that what they mean by sparkling water?

I'd normally just drink tap, but sometimes I'll get the multipacks of bit bottles of water lidl sell. That tastes pretty good straight from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I buy litres of fizzy water in Aldi (I think it's about €2.40 for 6 x 2l) and drink them. For no other reason than I think the fizz is more thirst quenching. Other than that - tap is fine. I never buy bottled, except for a sports cap bottle that I might use a few times before chucking for the gym/hiking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nigeemac999

what about Fluoride its deadly http://www.thegirlagainstfluoride.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Please don't bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement