Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my dog have to die?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If a dog tastes blood he has to be put down, it happened to us when our dog at home was part of a pack that attacked sheep.

That is a ridiculous idea, seriously how can you believe that? I really don't understand how some people that should know better believe that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ISDW wrote: »
    yeah I do live in the countryside and no, thats not what it means. Have you never read the posts on here about how supposedly dangerous it is for people to feed their dogs raw meat because then they've tasted blood and will attack any other animal they see?

I don't know why you're putting :rolleyes: when you are saying that any dog that tastes blood has to be killed. Maybe if people kept their dogs under control they wouldn't be in a field of livestock? But again, thats not a rural thing is it, let your dog wander wherever it wants, then when something happens, kill it, why on earth should the human owner have any responsibility in this? Sure you can always just go and get another dog.

So you are saying if i gave a dog a piece of raw meat he would go off and attack a sheep? Come off it! It will happen when a dog comes into contact with live animals and it will chase and bite them if not on a lead or as part of a pack. And i dont know what part of the west you are from but thats the term we use here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So you are saying if i gave a dog a piece of raw meat he would go off and attack a sheep? Come off it! It will happen when a dog comes into contact with live animals and it will chase and bite them if not on a lead or as part of a pack. And i dont know what part of the west you are from but thats the term we use here.

No, I'm most definitely not saying that, however a lot of people have and do. It is absolutely ridiculous you are right.

However, my earlier point is still valid, and maybe you could answer it for me, although maybe I'm not phrasing it completely right.

If a dog has to be pts because he has tasted blood (chased/killed livestock), thereby making him/her a danger - surely, he/she was the same danger before he got the opportunity to chase. He hasn't tasted blood, yet still went and chased the sheep. So its the same dog, with the same instincts, why does it have to be killed, if that instinct was always in it, but it had never had the opportunity previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TillyGirl wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous idea, seriously how can you believe that? I really don't understand how some people that should know better believe that crap.

If a dog attacks sheep once he will do it again, thats a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It seems no-one has any additional advice for the OP other than what has already been said, so I think this thread has run it's course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement