Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migration and Downs Syndrome

Options
  • 02-01-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

A long shot I know but here goes, maybe some one can point me in the right direction,

this is a bit long winded but bear with me......

my wife and I were seriously considering a move to Australia a few years ago, of course didn't do it, since then we did the usual things like getting married, building house and starting a family.

we have a little boy who has Down Syndome.

we have been thinking about moving alot again lately and I've been doing some research on Visas again.

Apart from all the changes that have ben made to SOL lists and points test etc I have discovered that it would be appear to be next to impossible to be granted a permanent residency visa if the applicant or anyone on the aplication has any serious health issues or disabilities (Down Syndrome would come under this criteria)

The main reason is the cost that Australia would incur in having to give medical, financial and community support to some one with health issues or a disability. This is fair enough I suppose...them are the rules:(

There have been some high profile cases where families where a child has down syndrome have been grant a permanent residency visa, although these families were already in the country on Temporary (457) visas. this occured mainly due to the direct intervention by the minister responsible for immigration in Australia.

Out of these cases an inquiry was launced and the findings of the inquiry made a number of recommendations in the way DIAC should look at people with disabilites, I cant find if any of those recommendations have been implemented.

What I'm hoping to do is try to establish contact with anyone who has sucessfully been granted Visa (175 / 176) in the last couple of years, where a member of the family had down syndrome or any other disability. I'm not even sure if anybody ever has but know a fair amount have been refused.

sorry for the long post, if anyone as any info I greatly appreciate it if you could pass it on.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

From what I can remember there was one case http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=657645

You could contact Liz O Hagan or George Lombard who a reputable MARA agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thanks for your reply Mandrake04.

that case of the Doctor is the one I had seen aswell.

I've seen Liz O' Hagan recommended here and Geroge Lombard on a couple of other sites, I'll contact them to see what their opinions are.

I don't hold out much hope TBH :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello Cushtie

Unfortunately, this is one complex area and you may not get the positive news you are hoping for. As a first step you can do a search on www.mrt.gov.au for previous applications. I can put you in touch with a medical expert in Australia if you wish to get a professional opinion (this should come from someone with legal background and expertise in medicals cases as opposed to a visa expert) - feel free to send me a private message.

Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 1 suresh203

Hai Cushtie,
    While i was seaching for some information for migration to Australia , I came accross your message and various replies to it. We are also in the same situation and trying to migrate to Australia . Our daughter is having down syndrome . Have you gone ahead with the application ? I thought , you may be able to advise us ...
    Thanks
    S George

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Hi,

in the end we decided not to go ahead with the application so I'm afraid I have no advice or help to give you.

C

• Advertisement
Advertisement