Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

I have wireless broadband (with Perlico btw) anyway the router I have is around 6 years old it is a Netopia one which I got when I signed up to Eircom in 2006 thing is the signal is terrible. The router is out in the kitchen which is situated in the back of the house but I cannot get a singal in the front sitting room :confused:

Do I need a new wireless router? What would be the best one I could buy and relatively cheap?

This one any use?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9254709/Trail/searchtext%3EWIRELESS+ROUTER.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try setting up the Netopia closer to the middle of the house, not connected to anything, see if that improves wifi, then get a phone extension cable if it works better. If you have very thick walls this may affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I had it situated in the middle of the house and the signal wasn't great. Do you think by getting a new router the signal will improve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

James__10 wrote: »
    I had it situated in the middle of the house and the signal wasn't great. Do you think by getting a new router the signal will improve?

No, try changing channel, if it's on 11 change it to 1

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, try changing channel, if it's on 11 change it to 1

How do you change the channel?

Login to it with your browser I think it's 192.168.1.254, if not here's how to find out
    Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

When Command Prompt is open, type the following command: ipconfig | findstr /i "Gateway" (You can copy & paste it in the command prompt; just right-click anywhere in the command prompt window and select Paste.)

You should see something like this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\administrator>ipconfig | findstr /i "Gateway"
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

In this example, your default gateway (router) IP address is 192.168.1.1.

It should be a setting under wireless settings, it may be set to auto, if so try 1, 6 or 11

• Advertisement

The default channel is 7, should I change it to 1?

James__10 wrote: »
    The default channel is 7, should I change it to 1?

Give it a go, see if it works, try 11 if it's no better

Advertisement