Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare or Killarney for holidays?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Thinking of renting a place for a week in July/August.Undecided between Kenmare or Killarney,anyone any advice.Will ahve car so will explore the whole area.Also does anyone know of good site for decent value holiday apartments/homes?Or any boardsies with a holiday home down there they can rent out to me?!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Kenmare is beautiful but if you have kids I'd def go for Killarney. A lot more options there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

No,just the 2 of us

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scotty1

Was in Killarney last year beautiful place locals and tourists are very friendly really enjoyed the week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Kenmare gets my vote any day, hands down! In saying that though, I would be bias :)

especially if you have a car, you would have very easy access through-out the county from Kenmare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Both lovely places and you could divide your time 4 days and 3 days in either. Kenmare much smaller very quaint nice pubs and restaurants places to walk nice scenery. Killarney bigger with Cinema and leisure centre if it is raining. Also lots of great walks good pubs and restaurants. If the weather is bad Killarney may have more to offer but if you bring some raingear both places are beautiful. In Killarney a must is the Gap of Dunloe boat trip, a visit to Mucross House Gardens, a walk to Torc waterfall. If you go to Kenmare a drive to Garnish Island which is a drive into west Cork but well worth doing either way you wont go wrong enjoy !

• Advertisement

Cheers,might do both places although most houses/apartments only do 7 day rentals so would find it hard to rent for 3/4 days at a time.Saw a nice wee place in Market Street in Kenmare for a decent price,think its a short walk into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Kenmare is one of my favourite towns in Ireland... a smaller version of Westport IMHO. The cafes and pub food is a better price than Killarney too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bluestrawberry

hi ya, i stayed in lovely holiday homes on the outskirts of kenmare, its a horse shoe estate of detached two story houses, it was lovely and even had a jacuzzi and sky tv! we used it as our base for touring. The owner of the house gave us their direct phone number if you want it, they said next time we want to stay ring direct as its alot cheaper than booking through website. look up glanerought houses on website and see what you think.

How much was it?Yeh,PM the number please,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Do you want something quiet or busy or near a beach. Both towns should be busy end July and August so think about somewhere like Sneem or Derrynane.

Beautiful beaches and walks and if you have a car you can travel if you want.

• Advertisement

newman10 wrote: »
    Do you want something quiet or busy or near a beach. Both towns should be busy end July and August so think about somewhere like Sneem or Derrynane.
    Central kenmare or Killarney should suit us, be able to go for few drinks and meal, not worry bout driving. Don't mind it being busy once accomodation is quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lobby

Personally I would choose Killarney! I visit Kerry regularly and have stayed in both towns! Killarney is really lively and really I just love the place- great shops, fantastic restuarants and lovely views within walking distance of the town!

Things to do:
    Walks in the National Park
    Tour of Muckross House
    Visit Torc Waterfall- and even climb it if you have the energy- FANTASTIC views!
    Ladies View- 32 shades of green!
    Excellent restuarants- particularly Bricín, Quinlans, and a new Pay as you go place (no set prices, pay what you think food is worth- amazing!)
    Bars go leor! bands in pubs all year round!
    Shopping has gotten alot better in the past few years!

Accomodation wise there are so many B&B's and hotels, but personally we always go for self catering. More freedom and you dont spend as much going out for every meal!
    We have stayed in a number of selfcatering properties in Killarney but my favourite by far is Rookery Mews Apartments. Family run property in a quiet area, although its still only 10min walk from the middle of the town. FANTASTIC views of fields and the beautiful Kerry mountains!

I even have another treat for you! I'm friends with the owners on Facebook and they have a free €25 money off voucher on their page. You just have to like the page an fill in your detials and you can print the voucher straight away!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Killarney-Selfcatering/194504943914805#!/pages/Killarney-Selfcatering/194504943914805

Happy Holidaying friend!! :)

At €675 for the week I'm looking for??????!!!No thanks,I'd get a foreign holiday with flights for that!!Theres places in Kenmare for literally half that price so looks like I'll stay there.I'll let the naiive tourists pay big money in Killarney.

Thats really surprising, I stayed in Rookery Mews last summer and it was nowhere near that price! Maybe summer deals or whatever arnt on their website yet! I know for def we got a great offer when spoke to the girls in the office when we rang!

Anyway Toby I hope you have a fantastic holiday, be it in Kenmare or Killarney :)

Best of Luck!!
    L

Couldn't find their own website,used kerrytourist.com and thats the price it gave me!I reckon Killarney will be more expensive than Kenamare anyhow but if theres good summer deals in either place,I'll gladly take up the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You should contact the tourist office in Killarney in the morning and see what they reccommend and will quote you. Their num 064-66-31633.

Great,thanks for that!

Contact the Killarney tourist office, they will help you find accomodation- I found them so helpful for advice re: What to go see and bars and restuarants!

This is the wesbite for the Rookery Mews I stay in:
    http://www.killarney-selfcatering.com/index.php

I had a quick search and for a week in a one bed in the place it says it would be €475.00, but I'm sure you could get a bit off this the way things go and sure if you get the €25 off voucher you'd be sorted :)

Good Luck!

Advertisement