Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your DSL broadband slow or dropping out?

• 02-01-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Since about mid-December I've been struggling to get constant decent speeds on UTV broadband. The router shows both DSL sync and Internet connection. When I look to get a webpage, it will hang with a half loaded page. Minutes later if I do a speed test, I'll get about 0.5Mb download speed and an 0.8Mb up speed - my router connecting at 10.2Mb down and almost 1Mb up (which I should be getting the benefit of).

From reading other posts from the last few days, I don't think it's just UTV - there's been other people who have both Vodafone and eircom. So which leads me to think it's a problem with the DSL lines provided by eircom wholesale.

I have logged two calls in the last couple of weeks with UTV Support and logged an online support request yesterday awaiting for contact when offices re-open again tomorrow.

PLEASE post here if you are having similar problems - mention provider and what problems you're having. Hopefully with the information I can push for UTV to act on a possible wider problem and pressure eircom into sorting the issue.

I will post back here if things appear to have cleared up. Thanks!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

You might want to mention which exchange you are connected to? or the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

my download speed went from 2048Kb to 156Kb . if i try to download something it goes at a speed of 2000 BYTES. Im with eircom :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm off the Greystones exchange.

Connection went completely earlier this evening around 8pm. Couldn't get any webpages although I had lights on the router indicating a DSL sync with internet connection.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm off the Greystones exchange.

Connection went completely earlier this evening around 8pm. Couldn't get any webpages although I had lights on the router indicating a DSL sync with internet connection.

If you are connected to the greystones exchange chances are you are on a Line Sharing product (UTV or VOdafone) which means you are not on a eircom wholesale bitstream service. Have you raised this with UTV?

You can also ask them if you are on Line Sharing or Bitstream as there is a chance that your line was never migrated to LLU if this is the case then you could be looking at a global issue (unlikely in my opinion) otherwise it might just be specific to you.

Advertisement