Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who owns a design?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum I just thought professionals on this forum would have first hand experience with this issue.

This is my scenario, I employed a graphic design & printing firm to design and print 300 business cards for me back in 2009. I was charged approx €500 for this. I was informed a large portion of the cost was attributed to the design which I had no problem with.

Up until recently I had issued all receipts on generic carbon pads but I'm looking to start printing my own invoices. I want to use the logo which was designed for my business cards. As I paid for design services am I entitled to an electronic copy of the design to use as I wish or does the designer have some intellectual property claim to it, in which I would have to pay more money to use it?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks

gOst

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The answer of course, is it all depends. What contract did you and the designer have? Was it to produce custom-designed business-cards? If it was then the design IP never transferred to you unless the contract specified this and remains with the designer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Conor19

It was up to you to buy the design from him. It's a pretty outrageous price for him to charge without passing over the rights btw

Advertisement