Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire off Thomas St

Options
  • 02-01-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what's going on? Huge clouds of smoke coming from Meath st? Is it the church?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just a few doors down from Bakers, only noticed when i stepped out for a smoke and all the air around was smoky

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

listening yea they have 2 units at the back of the church atm just under controll now.
    Hope no one is hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Luckily it didn't spread to the shop next door, that could have been bad considering a lot of the shops there would be clothes shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Hope it's not badly damaged, it's a lovely old church and the heartbeat of a lovely little area of Dublin

• Advertisement

AiLDz-5CQAEWdfb.jpg:large

Robbed from a post on The Journal.

Heard it was the crib the lad set fire to so hopefully will just be external damage to the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Chirst, looks bad, however I had no doubt that the folks around there will have any damage repaired in no time. Will drop down in the morning myself and see if I can help in any way..

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Awh :( I was wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0103/liberties_fire.html

48-year-old man has been charged with arson after a fire at a 19th Century church in Dublin.
    Smoke and water damage were caused to St Catherine's Church in Meath Street after a fire broke out yesterday evening.
    Firefighters took two hours to get the blaze under control yesterday evening.
    A man was arrested and was detained at Kevin Street Garda station.
    At Dublin District Court this morning, Patrick Curry, of no fixed abode, was charged with committing arson at St Catherine's Church.
    His lawyer told the court there were serious psychiatric issues and he requested an urgent psychiatric assessment. The request was granted by Judge Timothy Lucey.
    Garda Brian Hawkins of Kevin Street Garda Station told the court that Mr Curry made no reply to the charge.
    Mr Curry did not address the court during the brief hearing. No application for bail was made and Mr Curry was remanded in custody at Cloverhill Prison to appear in court again on 10 January.
    Rebecca Moynihan, a Labour Party Councillor who lives near the church, said the fire would be a blow to the local community.
    "The outside structure looks fine. It's cordoned off at the moment. But I think the internal structures have been damaged massively," Ms Moynihan said.
    "It is a church that is kind of central to the heart of the Liberties and the social life of the Liberties.
    "Many older members of the community use it every day and every Sunday it is still packed out. It's one of the busiest churches in the city," she added.

Down there today, Chruch is still closed and there was work going down the back of us as you go down the little lane on the side of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement