Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to retail - is it worth it?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,
    New boards user, so go easy on me..
    Bit of back story - I played WoW waaay back in it's vanilla days (2005/6) before I quit. Until last year (2011) I decided having more time on my hands (made redundant!) to look at it again.. My account had long since vanished, so I set up the trial & had a go and really loved it. BUT because I was unemployed, I couldnt really afford it - so I started playing on a well-known private server that runs 3.3.5 instead (lets not get into the discussion about that!) - anyway, now I'm thinking about retail again - I'm not a huge fan of Lich-king content, not a huge fan of raiding either but am a TOTAL achievement junky. So I wanted to ask a few questions to regular players..

Assuming I start from scratch, whats the average 1-85 time?
    How difficult is it to gear up - is it all emblem based as per Lich King?
    What are my options regarding servers in terms of population - what would you go for?
    Gold-wise, are the money making profs as I know them (J/C and Enchanting) still the ones to go for?
    In general, what is the community like, how much is this server dependent?
    Would anyone consider doing the "recruit a friend" thing & providing assistance whilst I get my self organised?

I have 101 other things I'd like to ask, - I've set myself up another trial so if anyone is willing to chat in game, let me know server, name and time & I'll come say hello.

Many thanks,
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Hey Tim

Wel i wouldn say it would take too long to reach 85.. If ur a dedicated player.. I would estimate just over a week.! Or just a bit more.. If u would like have a "social life" :p

Have u tried hitting up www.mmo-champion.com ..? This basicly has the run down on everything u ask, their forums are great too as it has ppl asking the same stuff as you.

Oh btw, come saturday im being laid off from my job :( so i too will have far to much time on my hands, im on Ghostlands Eu... Go by the name Invadar, or Azzaro :) private msg me ur battlenet ID if u ever upgrade.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

You played on a Private server? SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU! lol Oj oj

Ok so loads of things have changed since back in the days of Wrath ( the best expansion imo )
    First things first is if your getting into the game ask friends or people you may know where they play. The WORST experience you can have on WOW is being stuck with nobody to play with.

I play on ghostlands too with Azzaro and its fun at times.. ( when hes offline :P ) Find friends or people you know and join that server for the optimum experience.

Besides that the game is easy now once you hit level cap gearing up takes less than a day maybe a few hours if boosted.

Besides that check out MMO-champion for details or www.wowhead.com

Come say hello my main is Mikkey on Ghostlands =]

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TimmyE

Thanks lads,
    joined ghostland ok, still on the starter account and levelling fast - only started today & will hit 20 within the next hour or two, so your not wrong about the speed! - Shadowstyle is the name there & I have added you both (thank god your alliance!). Hopefully catch you in game to pick your brain(s) a bit further!

Tim.

Hey Tim

Im gonna be back online 2mo at some point, feeling the urge to play wow again ^^

How are u gettin on so far..? Leveling ok..? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TimmyE

Akarinn wrote: »
    Hey Tim

Im gonna be back online 2mo at some point, feeling the urge to play wow again ^^

How are u gettin on so far..? Leveling ok..? :)

Hehe, will try and catch you in game then - any idea roughly what time?

Still on the trial account, so on my third or fourth toon now, trying out different classes etc. - Will hopefully talk in game!

Tim

• Advertisement

Wel i have to head into town later to pick up a sub, sure while im in there il pick ye up a battlechest.. just cause im a nice f****r... :p

Sure there only a tener like...

So most likely this evening at some point.!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Besides that the game is easy now once you hit level cap gearing up takes less than a day maybe a few hours if boosted.

This depends on your definition of gearing up - my definition would be to get all (or close to) the best gear you can from heroics before entering raids. There are currently two types of Points (Badges) that you earn from doing heroics - apologies but i can't remember what they're called off the top of my head. Sure, you can gear up your character with all of the lower-level stuff in one day if you're dedicated. However, there is a limit of 1000 of the higher-level badges you can earn per week from doing heroics, and seeing as some items cost close to 2000, getting all the items in a day is simply not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Gearing wise ya start getting JP(Justice points) at 70ish. Till a maximum of 4k in possession at a time, but can spend em and keep getting more. This will buy 378(previous teir)/359(cata tier)/346(bues) lvl gear. Also get 378 from the new dungeons. Not sure what the cap's are to enter each set.

Valour points are the higher tokens. Get em from Raids/finishin dungeons/lfr. Get 397 items with these and for the most you can get level equivilent also in DS, but aint seen any backs & just one neck in lfr.

Next theres LFR once get high enuff gear. Basically get 250 VP(Valour points) for each section(end bosses) you do once a week. Seen people in a number of bad gear items in this :( but ppl rather do it that grind dungeons for cap. Also get drops of each boss once a week. But can que multiple times if join half way through one or gotta leave early. May have to start again so but doesnt take long once in, que might.

Trade/AH can also get some items off if got gold on the server.

Number of people are still trying to do firelands raids so "may" be able to sneak into one of them as usually stuck for ppl. Know I'm sick of Firelands at this stage but legendary etc :P

Short version :
    Currencies:
    Valour Points - Higher end 397 gear - 1k per week - no limit to amount you hold
    Justice Points - previous 378/359/346 gear - no limit per week - 4k upper limit
    Also GOLD - Few boe's drop - Also boe's from badges - BOE's from crafting professions (bind on equip items btw)

Sources:
    Dungeons - Cata HC 346/Zandalar 353/Hour of Twilight 378
    LFR- 384 mostly/390 last boss
    Raids - 359/378/397 (HC- 370/391/403) i think :s
    Purchases - above

Doin this mostly from memory so may be out here/there but think its close ~

Advertisement