Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do I need new win7 for a new mobo

Options
  • 02-01-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads if I get a new mobo and cpu do i need a new edition of win 7?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

i think so m8 though if you have a hard drive with windows on it you could try that but new build put a fresh copy of windows on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If it's an OME copy of windows officially you can't transfer it to new PC.

ah well then hes fooked he will have to get a new copy a windows :(

If he's Ned flanders honest then, ya he needs a new OME copy. If it's a retail copy then he can do it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

If he's Ned flanders honest then, ya he needs a new OME copy. If it's a retail copy then he can do it no problem.

This is what I have http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29181&agid=185&lb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

That's an OEM version, so it's tied to one motherboard. If your mobo has died, it's worth giving Microsoft a call, they are generally reasonable about that sort of thing.

dwighet wrote: »

Ya, that's OEM. I talked about this on another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056314153&page=2

Go to post 19, it will tell you what you have to do.

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

AS far as know you have 1 license of the windows 7 OS, that you paid for. If your not using the same copy twice then you can use your licensed copy on another system.

Your getting a new MB then thats only still using the same copy of win7 you already have the license for and your not using it on 2 systems.

work away i say.

MY PC's gone belly up - you selling any bits??????

how many hard drives can you install windows on?

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    AS far as know you have 1 license of the windows 7 OS, that you paid for. If your not using the same copy twice then you can use your licensed copy on another system.

Your getting a new MB then thats only still using the same copy of win7 you already have the license for and your not using it on 2 systems.

work away i say.

MY PC's gone belly up - you selling any bits??????

That's for retail copies. An OME copy of windows 7 is officially tied to the motherboard. That's why they're cheap.

That's for retail copies. An OME copy of windows 7 is officially tied to the motherboard. That's why they're cheap.

Thats what my understanding of it was aswell..

Advertisement