Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering electives 1st year

Options
  • 02-01-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Was just wondering if anyone would recommend electives for a first year engineer..

I've picked concepts in engineering and energy challenges but I'm thinking of changing..anyone done either of these?

I want to keep it an in programme elective. Was thinking of computer science but heard its fairly hard and I can still do it as an option next year anyway.

Heard about biosystems but not too sure whats involved in it...

And btw, I see that you have till late January to change elective, does this mean you can change even after lectures, tutorials etc have started?

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you'll be doing a computer module in first year anyway in the second module anyways, you can always continue on with it in second year.

Biosystems is good as far as i hear (havent done it) theres project work and i dont think theres an end of year exam (always good)

the dates for choosing are from 4th of jan to around the end of jan, you can indeed change after the lectures have started, though you must have an elective so that might mean that if you change you will miss a few weeks of the elective that you then choose

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

RoboRugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 willumm

Overature wrote: »
    you'll be doing a computer module in first year anyway in the second module anyways, you can always continue on with it in second year.

Whats the computer module? Dont see anything like one in the info for the modules..
    Chet T16 wrote: »
    RoboRugby!

That filled up fast in September:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Algorithmic Problem Solving (COMP10030) is a nice first semester module. The lectures are interesting, and the module isn't too difficult (it may seem a bit tricky at first, but after a few weeks it all clicks into place, and it'll be one of your easiest modules). There were a good few engineering students in it last year when I did it. It's a core module for computer science, but you don't need to know anything about computers or programming languages to be able to do it!

Edit: Just realised that this is actually irrelevant as it's only offered in semester one. Keep it in mind for next year though!

Thanks for that, there's a specific in programme elective in engineering called Computer Science for engineers, COMP10060. (might be new this year??)

Its available as an option this year for semester 2 but we can only pick one option, if I was to do it this year it'd be an elective.
    It's also available as an option in semester 1 of second year though.

I'm only considering doing it as it would definitely be useful at some stage.
    Do lots of people find it difficult though?

Had a look at the exam papers and the codes and all that look fairly complicated:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 SRFCAndyC

willumm wrote: »
    Thanks for that, there's a specific in programme elective in engineering called Computer Science for engineers, COMP10060. (might be new this year??)

Its available as an option this year for semester 2 but we can only pick one option, if I was to do it this year it'd be an elective.
    It's also available as an option in semester 1 of second year though.

I'm only considering doing it as it would definitely be useful at some stage.
    Do lots of people find it difficult though?

Had a look at the exam papers and the codes and all that look fairly complicated:confused:
    papers seem tough a first but if you work at the module its a piece of piss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The intro to CS for engineers is a good course but if you put in the work you will get an A.

I got an A in it as an elective at the end of my degree and I did not get that many A's.

Thanks for the info lads, think I'll do the comp science one, would be useful at some stage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

willumm wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads, think I'll do the comp science one, would be useful at some stage.....

What stream are you planning on taking next year?

pljudge321 wrote: »
    What stream are you planning on taking next year?

Always thought it would be mechanical but not so sure now, the difficulty of the mechanics module kinda put me off...
    Not too sure though about the rest of the options.

All I know for definite is I won't be doing biomedical or chemistry.

Electrical and electronic seem really eager to get students but not so sure if I'd like it much, have heard very little about civil but not too sure about that anyway.

I'll have to do a bit more research into each one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement