Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cure for colic

Options
  • 02-01-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hii,
    I have a 5 week old little girl who has had very bad colic since she was 2 weeks old. We have tried Dr browns bottles, infacol, gripe water, hot baths, massages of tummy and feet ect.... She will not give up wind for love or for money and the pain she then gos through is heart braking.

Dose anyone know someone in the Galway area with the cure for colic or if not in Galway we will travel. I would appreciate a contact number or email if you have it. :(:(:(

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moved Galway County > Newborn and Toddlers

You will get better responses here OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Would you consider going to an osteopath?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

We had similar problem with our first, have you tried a different formula? We changed ours from SMA to Aptimel. Might be an solution. I know it is not advised to change babies over, but, you have to put the baby first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Would suggest changing to NUK teats, tried these with my 1stborn,and they were an immediate success; also used them in work (neonatal unit,only teat I'd ever recommend).
    Also, make sure that formula is warm rather than cool or cold.
    As a general rule,colic only lasts for a few months.
    Not much consolation at the time, it is very upsetting,both for parents and baby.
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Cranial Osteopathy.. I cannot recommend it enough.. see here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056147928

I was in your shoes this time last year and seeing an Osteopath saved us weeks if not months of misery :)

Edit: I had 2 sessions with a lovely lady in Rathmines and it was €60 per session.. bargain of the century imho.. if you want her details PM me.. she's very gentle with them..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Our girl had it very bad. We changed to Aptamil Comfort from SMA along with Tommy Tippee bottles and she was perfect about 3 days later..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

awarm bath often helps too.
    Talk to your PHN.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 velvet68

Would you consider going to an osteopath?
    She was born by c section so had no stress so I'm not sure if this would help

Thanks all. We have changed the formula already a few times and am on actimel comfort at mo thinking of trying the soya one. We already use tommy tippy and have changed to the next size of teet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Wouldn't recommend changing the formula again,if you've already changed it a few times in past 3 weeks-that's too much change and too often.

It would take a while for her to adjust to aptamil comfort anyway.(which is a very good choice,tbh.)

Make sure you look after yourself,also.I'd imagine the 6 week check up for you both is this week or next week?Write down any concerns you may have,and ask.
    Remember-don't worry- we were all in the same boat with our own babies and we're still learning all of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

We tried aptamil comfort it didn't work. We went to cow & gate soya, works brilliant for us.

We went a cranial osteopath twice and that really helped!! My daughter was born by c-sec too so even though websites talk more about natural birth babys, we still went and it was great for her.

And white noise for the crying, plenty of internet downloads you can get for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Our girl had it very bad. We changed to Aptamil Comfort from SMA along with Tommy Tippee bottles and she was perfect about 3 days later..

Do you mind me asking, did the Aptamil Comfort ever block the teat? We've changed to Aptamil Comfort and use Tommy Tippee bottles too, but I'm noticing recently the formula is blocking the teat (we went up a teat number when we changed formula too btw) and I don't know why? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you mind me asking, did the Aptamil Comfort ever block the teat? We've changed to Aptamil Comfort and use Tommy Tippee bottles too, but I'm noticing recently the formula is blocking the teat (we went up a teat number when we changed formula too btw) and I don't know why? :confused:

How are you making up the formula? I think the comfort stuff needs the water to be hot when making it... so if you're filling bottles and keeping them at room temp/in the fridge and adding the formula when taking them out it might not work as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blueboots

OP- I feel you frustration, i really do. My boy is 7 months old now but for the first 3 months he had terrible colic. They are 3 months i will never forget. We tried EVERYTHING. We were desperate for a solution. We tried so many things im not sure what worked in the end or did he just grow out of it. As another poster mentioned you will have your 6 week check up soon so have a list of questions ready. My poor son went through 4 forumla changes as recommended by both doctor and PHN. We started off on Aptimal, then the comfort milk, then Enfamil AR ( he had reflux too) and then on to Enfamil O-Lac. Doctor tested his stools for lactose intolerence. And while he wasnt lactose intolarnt he was considered lactose 'sensitive'. This milk did help but it took a good 1-2 weeks. I would recommend asking your doctor to test your daughters stools.
    I also tried homeopathy with a lady in Moycullen and we went to an osteopath in salthill. My son had a normal, stress free birth but i did find the osteopath to be good. Only temporarily though. He would be ok for a day or 2 but that was it.

I know you have probably heard this so many times and right now it seems like it will never happen but the colic WILL pass. My boy is so happy now. One thing i found to help when he would be crying was to hold him close to me and bounce on my pilates ball. My back was nearly broken after this but it got us a couple of hours of peace.

any more questions just ask.

-Corkie- wrote: »

Yes it dose block the teat, ee found that too, I found making the bottles with freshly boiled water and shaking really well dose the trick....well most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

velvet68 wrote: »
    Hii,
    I have a 5 week old little girl who has had very bad colic since she was 2 weeks old. We have tried Dr browns bottles, infacol, gripe water, hot baths, massages of tummy and feet ect.... She will not give up wind for love or for money and the pain she then gos through is heart braking.

Dose anyone know someone in the Galway area with the cure for colic or if not in Galway we will travel. I would appreciate a contact number or email if you have it. :(:(:(

Are you sure its colic?? have you thought about reflux?? maybr have a go with a carton of the normal aptamil with infant gavisgon.. colief drops with the normal stuff. our lad was in a hoop with pain tried everything including making the bottles with purified water, the gavisgon and colief drops worked after one bottle.. best of luck and let us know how you get on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Try the soya,my daughter had it and we changed.Shes grand now.There really isnit a problem changeing a babys feed, so dont worry about it.Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sorry I meant to say use a number 2 teat. Saoirse is 6 months now and had started using number 3 teats. The comfort contains a thickening agent so they cannot pull it through the number 1 teat. Our little woman went mad until we copped on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We bring ours to a chiropractor every 3 months. costs 20euro a session.
    found it really helped him. with crawling and all the falls he has trying to walk its inevitable something will be out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MexicanMay

Hi OP,

My baby had terrible colic for months. I tried EVERYTHING. Someone recommended me to use Coleaf. You make up the bottle with the water, then put it in there then the milk. leave in fridge. Worked a treat for us. You can get it in the pharmacy for €15

• Advertisement
Advertisement