Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novorapid and the Race Around Ireland

• 02-01-2012 7:41pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Training has started for my big day out next September in a quiet fashion. Final decisions are still being made on the main bike for the expedition, announcements shortly on the final decision.

Training plans are in development and will start off properly from next Saturday morning but so far have added an extra 25km a day onto my regular commute.

Starting weight: 80kg (I thought I was 84kg but this was taken on a bathroom scale rather than the balance at work so may be wrong).

Height: 186cm (must check this at work also as how accurate my guestimation is, could be far from correct).

General Health: waiting for my latest HbA1C to come back, overall sugars are running slightly above what I would like and am still getting the odd high in the mornings but I blame Christmas for that.

I have a Ciclo sport cadence sensor, altimeter, HRM and speedometer, which will be fitted to the bike on Thursday evening, so I will try and post the results regularly, I am also on Strava although my battery rarely lasts for long spins, might pick up a GPS unit in the future (ala the Edge 200 or sell my Ciclosport and pick up an edge 500).

I am currently on Novorapid and Lantus glargine but I am hoping to get an Insulin pump in the near future.

More importantly I am also starting the hunt for sponsors and volunteers over the coming months, any suggestions for potentially interested companies or volunteers would be most welcome.

Any excess I make over the bare minimum needed to get moving will be donated equally to The Children's Sunshine Home & LauraLynn house (whom my OH raises money for) and Diabetes and Endocrine unit in Crumlin hospital, whom in my opinion and that of several others are the best youth treatment centre for diabetes in the country with an excellent team.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just reading over last years report, 11 starters, 2 finishers and an honorary third place to the last person to have to pack, excited is not the word. As a quick question (I'll be asking the organisers soon enough anyway), does anyone know if a type 1 Diabetic has done the RAI before?

The competition:

Valerio Zamboni - Last years champ, interesting report on the race
    " It was so tight the considering the position of my head during the climb I could risk strangling myself as I couldn’t open it and reduce the pressure like I was able to with the brace."

Stephen Bugbee - Got last in RAAM 2010, had to be forced to take a break by his crew, describes RAI in 4 words:
    "The climbing was awesome."

Wyatt Van Wendels - A DJ and a book author who only took up cycling in the last 4 years
    "his final words before he rode down the ramp were that he would like put on his headstone “I tried”"

Eoin Ryan - Done the ROK 5 times in a row in just over 45 hours, speaks for itself really

Seán Ó hIarnáin - 3rd in 2010 and from his webpage, hugely prepared to raise the bar
    "In 2013 I plan on setting up to 2 Guinness World Records – one for the fastest time from Cairo to Capetown (I hope to do it in 50 days rather than the current 80 day record) and then set a record for fastest circumnavigation of the globe by bicycle. The current record stands at 163 days but I hope to do it in 100 days,"

Donncha Cutriss - 13th in RAAM2011

John MacCormaic - completed twice as a member of an 8 man team
    Ireland, former An Ras Tailteann and Tour of Ireland cyclist, raced on American circuit.

Duncan McKenzie - Scotsman jumping from 8 man to solo

Time to step up the training, started on the trainer on my long lunches at work, truly life is exciting, been hit with 3x24 shifts in the last week so at least I have the sleep deprivation, nothing like getting home for a shower, have a cup of coffee and roll back down the hill to start work all over the week ago.

Just perusing the competition, not for any belief it will help but just to get a break at work, certainly have my work cut out for me.

Minimum speed of 17km/hr, can't wait to start putting up the data from the Watt bike and the Bio harness next week. Fun times ahead, compared to all the other competitors, I am already behind on the old training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Best of luck Cram! Its massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Best of luck with this Cram Cycle, to put it in perspective for those of us who don't know you, how would you describe your current bike fitness? Are you an A1 racer? or starting out training for this from a more modest beginning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭shamalam

Best of luck with this epic adventure.
    Competed in 2009 on 4 man team,great event.
    much respect for going solo.will you be taking in plenty of audax events .
    See you on the road,
    shay m.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Best of luck with this Cram Cycle, to put it in perspective for those of us who don't know you, how would you describe your current bike fitness? Are you an A1 racer? or starting out training for this from a more modest beginning?

I am far from an A1 racer, in fact the closest I have come to racing is commuter racing, I am heading out with St. Tiernans this year to get a feel for upping my speed but I'll be starting out in A4. I am used to group riding from the big Audax events but they aren't as disciplined or as fast as a typical race so it will be interesting to see how I transition between the two.

From a fitness level, I completed the PBP last year with relative ease and no ill effects. In fact, done my fastest ever 35km TT (averaged over 50km/hr with no tail wind) on the way home when the trains were over booked and I had to TT between stations to make the Ferry home.

History wise, there are a few posts around (look for Lowlands 1200) showing what I was like, but times have changed.
    shamalam wrote: »
    will you be taking in plenty of audax events .
    See you on the road,
    shay m.

I'll be trying as many as possible, hoping to get down for the start of the season in Cork but work is proving problematic at the minute, heading over for the Mille Alba in Scotland and want to attempt at least one event in every province by the end of the year. Definitely out for every single one in Dublin. Will try to get out for as many of RottenHats Hill spins on the Saturday morning as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

CramCycle wrote: »
    done my fastest ever 35km TT (averaged over 50km/hr with no tail wind) on the way home when the trains were over booked and I had to TT between stations to make the Ferry home.

If that's the case just save us A4's the embarrassment and get an A3 license and a rapid upgrade to A1.

chakattack wrote: »
    If that's the case just save us A4's the embarrassment and get an A3 license and a rapid upgrade to A1.

A one off, if i missed the connection, I missed the ferry, then I missed work. Then I can no longer buy bike stuff.
    1230km of PBP = legs are fine
    fear induced cycling for 40 minutes = walking like John Wayne

Not sure I can be of much help but if you find yourself on a training spin around the south east let me know and I'll keep you company for a few hills!

Not sure I can be of much help but if you find yourself on a training spin around the south east let me know and I'll keep you company for a few hills!

I might be down for the Easter Fleche (if anyone joins me for the ride, I'll be doing it solo otherwise) and I'll be nipping up and down to Wexford when the weather heats up for training as well so might drop you a PM then if your free.

EDIT: Are you heading out for any of Kevin O'Sullivans rides, the Borlin 300 etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

[/Quote]

EDIT: Are you heading out for any of Kevin O'Sullivans rides, the Borlin 300 etc.?[/Quote]

I'm looking into doing the one in Midleton on the 10th of march at the moment with a few from the club, so if ur heading down this way for it, and want some company do let me know!

murf85 wrote: »

EDIT: Are you heading out for any of Kevin O'Sullivans rides, the Borlin 300 etc.?[/Quote]

I'm looking into doing the one in Midleton on the 10th of march at the moment with a few from the club, so if ur heading down this way for it, and want some company do let me know![/QUOTE]

I am aiming for it. Depends on work to be honest. Hopefully I'll make it, I do love a spin down south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

EDIT: Are you heading out for any of Kevin O'Sullivans rides, the Borlin 300 etc.?

I'm looking into doing the one in Midleton on the 10th of march at the moment with a few from the club, so if ur heading down this way for it, and want some company do let me know![/QUOTE]

I am aiming for it. Depends on work to be honest. Hopefully I'll make it, I do love a spin down south.[/QUOTE]

There is a map of Midleton 200 on the web (Wide With GPS). Route looks very interesting (but completely different from last year).

If you ever want a spin in the SW (Cork & Kerry mountains then let me know - wuld be happy to guide you around. The Borlin is one of my favourite routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

ROK ON wrote: »

There is a map of Midleton 200 on the web (Wide With GPS). Route looks very interesting (but completely different from last year).

U got a link to this? Can't seem to find it

I might be down for the Easter Fleche (if anyone joins me for the ride, I'll be doing it solo otherwise) and I'll be nipping up and down to Wexford when the weather heats up for training as well so might drop you a PM then if your free.

Sorry for not replying, I'm aiming to do as many as possible but no specific plan for the year yet, I have to work the weekend of the pink elephant so am going to miss that. Depending on how many hours I put in the saddle between now and Easter I was thinking of doing the Fleche so keep posting id your looking to put in a team.

murf85 wrote: »
    U got a link to this? Can't seem to find it

I can't find it either, only the route for the pink elephant 200, maybe KOS just renamed it this year?

Pink Elephant is here anyway: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=209994

I'd say PM RottenHat to be sure as he knows best about these things.
    1 Depending on how many hours I put in the saddle between now and Easter I was thinking of doing the Fleche so keep posting id your looking to put in a team.

I am indeed, put up a route idea on the AI mailing list but no takers yet, I decided to shorten it after no one opted to join me last year. It was similar to this:
    Cork up to the finish line, heading from Cork, Midleton, Youghal, Carrick on Suir, Waterford, New Ross, south a bit for Kilmore Quay, St. Helens, Rosslare, Bunclody, Laragh and then straight in for Dundrum and the end.

This works out about 390 to 400km but I'll be honest, if I could convince enough for a team to go for a longer route I would. Any ideas for a route yourself? If you have something nicer/better, I am all ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/907252

I preferred the other route as it was picturesque. The Vee is a nice shallow climb, but by Christ is it long. It has a lovely descent though.
    I have not been on that climb out of Clonmel before - but I have been on the nearby Nire Valley/Powers the Pot climb and it is really beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Nice plan Cram!

So you have the Wattbike up and running? I'll come out some day soon to the lab and mess around with it, didn't get a chance before Christmas. Could be fun to use you as a guinea-pig for some long term monitoring....I'll put the thinking cap on...

StudentC wrote: »
    Nice plan Cram!

So you have the Wattbike up and running? I'll come out some day soon to the lab and mess around with it, didn't get a chance before Christmas. Could be fun to use you as a guinea-pig for some long term monitoring....I'll put the thinking cap on...

Thanks, I'm going for an hour a day on it from Monday lunch time, finishing the end of my cell culture work at the minute so haven't had time. I'll send you on the data with the glucometer results in a fortnight if there is anything interesting on it.

Any ideas for a route yourself? If you have something nicer/better, I am all ears.

Well I was thinking about something like this (rough route) for 2013, I have been off the bike since the SKT 2011 so I dont think I'd be ready for it this year. Hitting all 5 cities in the south would be a nice route,

elevation_profile

As for this year I am planning to do the Fleche but wont know until mid feb to be honest. I'd hate to join a group now and not be ready for it when the time comes.

• Advertisement

Well I was thinking about something like this (rough route) for 2013, I have been off the bike since the SKT 2011 so I dont think I'd be ready for it this year. Hitting all 5 cities in the south would be a nice route,

Nice route, I'd definitely give it a shot in the future, could make a nice 600km loop in the future as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭banger01

Its on the audaxireland.org site

You know you've made it when someone else makes a webpage about you:

CramCycles RAI page

Got up on the WattBike there yesterday but didn't set it up so I am leaving the data off it till next week. Talking to the Technicians and they are getting drop bars for it soon so that will suit me better and they have no problem with me putting my own saddle on it for training.

I am also using myself as a guinea pig for my students later on in the year so we'll see how the "lecturer in lycra" look goes with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

A one off, if i missed the connection, I missed the ferry, then I missed work. Then I can no longer buy bike stuff.
    1230km of PBP = legs are fine
    fear induced cycling for 40 minutes = walking like John Wayne

even at a one off, 50kmph av for 35k is damn fine cycling. Chris boardmans hour record stands at 56 kmph :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

by the way, good luck, and well done for taking on the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

You know you've made it when someone else makes a webpage about you:

CramCycles RAI page

Ah, Fame.
    And I note CramCycle that, not content with competing once, you are the only rider to have entered the RAI twice this year...... http://racearoundireland.com/solos.asp , do you plan to take first and second place?? Good Luck :)

Done my first ramp test yesterday, will post the data when I get time but it was interesting to see.

went for the 6 minute ramp test, increasing the Wattage by 20 every 6 minutes to allow time for Blood lactate to accumulate.

Biggest difficulty I had was keeping the cadence right at the lower end. Went from 100 up to 240, when I tried to go over 240 I could but I had no control over the Wattage so I decided to just force it for the last minute as I am sure I was near the end anyway.

Hr was steady starting at 125 for 100W and going up by approx 10 for every 20 Watts increase.

VO2 was good and stayed well below the limit, most efficient seemed to be a HR of 160 and a power of 180W, must analyse the data on angles tomorrow as the data looked odd out of the corner of my eye.

Biggest issue I had was doing the VO2 on a long ramp test, meant I was unable to drink and it is something I will work around in experimental design in future

Any data yet?

• Advertisement

Any data yet?

I was having issues transferring data from the WattBike over to the Quark but that was user error. Dislocated my patella last week as well so just back on the bike yesterday. One thing I will say is that the price of Petrol will do wonders for cycling in the next 2 years.

I will be doing a spin on it at lunchtime tomorrow, while I can spin away on the knee I am not confident that I can push it out fully just yet but we will see. Results will be up tomorrow evening.

Unfortunately I have decided to give the Ardattin 200 a miss as I have alot of work projects due this week but I will make up for it with the fleche on the 6th.

Advertisement