Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dusty dublin

Options
  • 02-01-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

i've lived in 2 different flats in dublin city centre (docklands and smithfield) and both places got a lot of dust buildup under the bed, around corners etc. either in the form of dust layers or 'dust bunnies'

i have to hoover the place very frequently or else the dust builds up very quickly within a couple of days!! is this normal for dublin?? i wouldn't know since i've only lived here for 2 years but i've never seen dust build up so quickly in other places i've lived.

it scares me to think what's in the air i'm breathing! should i get something like an air purifier to trap the dust? does anyone have one of those and can say if it works for dust?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Isn't dust mostly human skin cells?
    I think books don't help with anyone's dust problem - do you have many?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I used to work in the docklands area and there was certainly a lot of dust from the construction work all over the place. Couldn't explain what it'd be from now though. Maybe it is still emanating from the empty sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BrazIrish

O work in a hotel in the Docklands area and it's probably because of construction sites. The housekeeping team dust the rooms every single day and it's like it hasn't been dusted for ages... On the other hand I live in D8 and of course it's dusty but not even close like the Docklands.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Seriously, dust bunny are nothing to do with the air. they are fibres that come from clothes and soft furnishing and hair etc.

most household dust is skin cells. how often is "frequently" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Skin being the major part of household dust is myth I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 goluck

i doubt that it's dead cells from my skin since like i mentioned, i never experienced so much dust buildup in other cities i've lived in so if it were my dead skin cells it wouldn't matter where i lived..

as for books, i don't have any. as for furnishing etc., it can't be that either since i lived in both docklands and smithfield in 2 different flats with two different set of furniture.

one thing i just thought of, maybe it's from cigarette smoke?? when i lived in docklands my flatmate was a smoker and in smithfield my neighbor smokes and sometimes i can smell it..

do you heavy smokers out there get a lot of dust bunnies at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I think the city centre is dustier in general than suburbs would be. I worked in a small shop in a shopping centre in the city, and the place collected dust like you wouldn't believe.

Advertisement