Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish picture stories - How do YOU learn them?

• 02-01-2012 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

20 picture stories are wayyyyyy too much to learn ;O I'm only really starting to learn them now and they won't stick in my head! I've forgotten the ones I've learned last year, so I'm just at square one again.. Has anyone some weird but super helpful method of learning these pictures? I learned my German ones by reading them over and over, but in fairness I only have 5 of them, and each picture is short, whereas my irish ones are nearly a paragraph for each picture!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

theres no way id be learning off reams of notes for it. I'd use the irish i have built up over all the years. what i do is go through all the pictures and what things i dont know the irish for i just learn the words for them. Thats it really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Try learning off 20 different sraithphictúiri and you'll probably fail spectacularly! Use your Irish to describe the pictures as you see them, if you do it from memory you might come off as incredibly fake and you'll get docked marks for that. They want Irish speakers, not people learning off material!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'd say it's almost impossible to learn all of them. I'm not learning any, maybe just a few phrases for each one.

If you're definitely going to just learn them off though, I guess you could try to condense it down to two or three sentences per picture. It'd still be really difficult though, that's hundreds of sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Yeah I didn't really mean learn every picture off by heart :P I'm able to just talk about them without the aid of notes anyway, but I was thinking that the notes had better phrases and stuff. I think I'll just learn certain phrases for each and say the rest by myself. How many stories did last year LC's have to learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't really mean learn every picture off by heart :P I'm able to just talk about them without the aid of notes anyway, but I was thinking that the notes had better phrases and stuff. I think I'll just learn certain phrases for each and say the rest by myself. How many stories did last year LC's have to learn?

This is the first year of sraithphictúirí:D

• Advertisement

We didn't have the sraith pictiúr last year, just the 20% oral.

Then for Paper II it was 5 stories, 5 ordinary level poems, 8 higher ones, the novel/drama, and stair na Gaeilge.

To be honest this year's course is far nicer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I do sort of a combination of learning off and just making it up on the spot. Our teacher hands us out notes that are from some book, and they just have descriptions of each picture in them, things like "There is a group of young people standing around. They are talking to each other. There is a clock on the wall, and it is X o'clock. They are talking about X, Y, and Z. I think they are enjoying themselves." It's all very just describe as you see it kind of stuff. What I do with that is, I have a hardback where I keep all sorts of stuff for the oral, and in the back of that I cut out the picture, stick it on one page, and have the notes written out on the opposite side. I'll read over the notes, learn off any sentences that wouldn't come to me off the top of my head, but mostly I just learn the gist of what's being said. So when I look at the picture then, I can say to myself "Right, there's a clock there, I'll say what time it is. I'll say that nice sentence that I learned off, and I'll just rephrase what's in those speech bubbles." I sort of use the notes as more of a checklist for what to say, rather than learning them off word for word. I hope that makes sense, anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Togepi wrote: »
    We didn't have the sraith pictiúr last year, just the 20% oral.

Then for Paper II it was 5 stories, 5 ordinary level poems, 8 higher ones, the novel/drama, and stair na Gaeilge.

To be honest this year's course is far nicer. :D

So ye just had an oral, with the General conversation and that was it? Yeah I'm glad they upped the oral to 40% and took out the history. 35 marks for reading a poem? Oh yeah ;) Haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

As a novelty you can use this:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Gaelgory

So ye just had an oral, with the General conversation and that was it? Yeah I'm glad they upped the oral to 40% and took out the history. 35 marks for reading a poem? Oh yeah ;) Haha!

Yeah but we read a paragraph for 30 marks too (prepared five and were asked one) - easiest part of the course!

The only thing that was better about last year was that we got more marks for the listening, but they couldn't really give more than 10% this year when the oral is worth 40%. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement