Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make-up Brush cleanser?

• 02-01-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a decent make-up brush cleanser?
    I have my set of brushes for a long time now & have never cleaned them.
    I think it's about time I do :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Baby shampoo is pretty good but I find it messy

Of the "proper" brush cleaners I find MAC by far the best, but it needs to be transferred to a spray bottle. The Clinique one isn't bad, and it can be handy when you want a Bonus Time GWP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

lainey316 wrote: »
    Baby shampoo is pretty good but I find it messy

Of the "proper" brush cleaners I find MAC by far the best, but it needs to be transferred to a spray bottle. The Clinique one isn't bad, and it can be handy when you want a Bonus Time GWP!

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Make up Forever do one as well which is quite good. I haven't bought it in a while as I stockpiled before and was then using baby shampoo but I presume they still do it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use the Make Up Forever one as well, smells minty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I saw on youtube that rubbing alcohol is great. Apparently thats surgical spirits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭tanya2007

yup alcohol is the best it drys really fast and kills germs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHWzoZGrceQ&feature=g-hist&context=G2701974AHTwHwdQANAA

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

Anyone know where I can get a liquid cleaner for my mac brushes, besides the mac product itself?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

MAC one is amazing... I still have mine about 2+ years later (only have the powder brush and the odd eye shadow brush to clean each week). Got given out to for spending 11 euro on "a bottle of water" but it really is a bargain considering it keeps the brushes in good nick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Olive oil and baby shampoo are the best things to clean brushes and they don't cause any damage at all. Have used them for years on both cheapy and expensive brushes and have never had a problem. Just rub in the olive oil to break down the make up then wash clean with baby shampoo and place on a towel to dry overnight. I have tried some of the branded brush cleaners but always go back to the go ol' olive oil and baby shampoo (plus, it's super cheap and the two bottles last forever!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I use the M.A.C brush cleanser which is around €12 in Brown Thomas and around €8 in Dublin airport Duty free.

I have also used shampoo (just normal VO5 like I use on my hair) which was better than M.A.C in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Suzich

Olive oil is not good because it takes off the protective layer on the hair.

MAC brush cleanser is OK. I also use cleansers from Bare Escentuals and e.l.f.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I always use shampoo, normally Johnsons if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Another for baby shampoo here.

Be sure to part the bristles on your big brushes and clean in between them. I was shocked by mine! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Best Make up cleanser on a budget is Surgical Spirit. I buy 500ml plastic btl for 4 euros in boots.

I pour a little into a small plastic cup and gently cleanse the brush bristles. Only takes seconds to have totally clean brushes. It may take a few refills to properly cleanse brushes that are in use for a while...:) I find this really good for foundation brush, dissolves the foundation so easily. Please just take care not to immerse the whole brush, simply wash the bristles of the brush, thus not weakening brush head. My Mac brushes are done with TLC.

I then wash the brush bristles in some mild liquid soap to get rid of surgical spirit 'scent' and rinse and freshen in one go. Dry naturally on a window ledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You can use isoprophyl alcohol. Its not as strong smelling as surgical spirits. Larger chemists should have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Caoimhe Gaynor MUA

You want to be careful when using surgical spirits on your brushes all of the time or anything with an alcohol base. It drys out the bristles and can shorten your brushes "life time" considerably. I always think of it like using dry shampoo for washing your hair, it's a short term solution. The best way to clean your brushes is with shampoo on the palm of your hand and some luke warm water. This leaves your brushes a lot softer than the cleaners.

However if you're not really bothered with that, Cinema Secrets have an amazing one which is very nourishing for your brushes. You can buy it in LA Make-Up Academy just off Grafton Street. The MAC one is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coffeeandshoes

I have a good set of MAC and Urban Decay brushes and I swear by baby shampoo. Cheap, gentle and it works :) xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I have both, use shampoo for my fluffy brushes and Mac cleanser for in between cleaning and eyeshadow brushes.
    I someone sometimes use conditioner on my natural bristles, I probably shouldn't though !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Terry Sales on Abbey Street are great for all that sort of stuff..

• Advertisement
Advertisement