Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staring Down Demons

• 02-01-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Firstly to expalin the new log title.
    The last few months have definitely left mental scars which I'm going to have to deal with before I can get back to racing at my best again. There is a nagging little voice on my shoulder which is chipping away at my confidence. Its just there constantly asking why am I bothering, that I didn't get my goals last year despite putting in a hard effort. Every time it's gotten hard recently I have dropped off the pace. Looking back at the Waterford Half last month I did this way too easily. As soon as things started to hurt the voice was there and I listened to it. I had given myself the excuse to drop off before I ever got to the start line. So for the new year I have to start ignoring that voice again, my inner demon can't be allowed to beat me or I may as well stop trying. I have always been mentally pretty tough and this isn't something I have been used to. New year, new start and its me against the inner demon.

So as I said in my last log 2011 didn't work out as planned. But there is no point dwelling on the past its time to try and take on board the lessons and look forward to 2012. While overall traing seemed to go pretty well last year the results didn't come so that obviously means that things need some tweaking. I was reasonable happy with my overall mileage but I would hope to add a couple of humdered more miles this year.

The major differences for 2012 will be
    1) Start on a structured speed work programme earlier in the year and carry this through the year. Last year I started on this too late in the year to really see the benefits. By that I mean it started straight into marathon specific speed work without any build up through the shorter distances.
    2) I'm going to start on a targeted weights programme concentrating on my core and lower body strength. I think this is something that has been lacking. A stronger core should reduce the risk of my back flaring up at a bad time again as well.I will only do this a couple of times a week and the aim isnt to bulk up.
    3) Get my weight down to something approaching where it should be. I dont know what my ideal racing weight is but it's definitely not the 198lbs that looked out from the scales this morning. now I have let myself go a bit over the last couple of months but its still no excuse. I dont usually keep a close eye on the weight but I'm going to be doing a weekly weigh in from now on and trying to make an effort to get it down.

So with that in mind its onwards and upwards for the new year. Races will probably be more or less the same as last year except I am planning on doing another marathon (or maybe longer) in June. Not decided which one yet but I will decide soon. I will probably do the Athlone 3/4 again this year after missing it last year.

Im not going to put target times out at this stage but all the PB's are there to be taken down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Guess I better catch up on the first two runs of the year

January 1st

Intended to do 10 miles but one of the raods was flooded and I didnt feel like going through freezing water half way up my shins so I took a detour that added a mile and a bit onto the run. Was pretty cold out but once I got warmed up it was actually pretty nice.

Distance : 11.23 miles
    Pace : 8:50
    HR (max/avg): 182/168
    January 2nd

Easy enough run in the morning. It was absolutely freezibg though and a nice hail shower half way round really helped me to wake up properly. Picked the pace up for the last couple of miles just to get the blood pumping faster.

Distance : 6.04 miles
    Pace : 8:21
    HR (max/avg): 182/166

Totals
    Week: 6.04
    Month : 17.27
    Year : 17.27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Good luck with the new log broken man I am sure 2012 will be a better year and the races/times this year will reflect all the hard work you put in. Think positive :)

Thanks Nules. I think just writing it down and admitting to myself that I have been slacking a bit recently will help.
    I probably expected the results to come in races instead of having to go out there and earn it.

Out at lunch today and my god was it windy. Planned the route so that I would have it more or less at my back on the most exposed part but it was still tough going out. Really fun coming back in though. Reckon if I jumped I might have made the olympic qualifing distance :D

Despite the conditions though it was fun out except for having to stop a lot more than usual for traffic. Pace was dictated by the wind really, slow going out and quick on the way back in. I was keeping the effort pretty relaxed though.

I'm going to use this route a lot more as there are a few sharp little hills in it instead of the usual pancake flat out and back I have been doing.

Distance : 5.63 miles
    Pace : 8:42
    HR (max/avg): 179/168

Totals
    Week: 11.67
    Month : 22.0
    Year : 22.9

Nice run today at a steady enough pace. Wasn't easy but at the same time certainly wasnt the hardest run I've ever done. Had to keep a little eye on the watch though as I was letting the pace drop off from time to time. It's something I need to be careful about. This could easily have been 10 secs per mile slower and for much the same effort.

Gym tonight for some strength and stretching.

Distance : 5 miles
    Pace : 8:17
    HR (max/avg): 181/171

Totals
    Week: 16.67
    Month : 27.9
    Year : 27.9

• Advertisement

Got my programme sorted out in the Gym Thursday. Concentration or core and stability work with some yoga type bits thrown in for flexibility. Core is pretty weak as I expected.

Today just had 40 mins free due to a few different committments so ran out for 20 mins then turned and came back. Nice handy run with the return leg faster than the one going out. Everything seemed to be working grand. Proper 12 week programme for Conn starts Monday.

Distance : 4.68 miles
    Pace : 8:20
    HR (max/avg): 179/166

Totals
    Week: 21.35
    Month : 32.58
    Year : 32.58

Recovery run today. tried to keep it as relaxed and easy as I could. As usual it felt difficult but I tried to stay diciplined about it. Running really slow just doesnt feel natural.

Pace : 9:18
    HR (max/avg): 168/155

Totals
    Week: 26.35
    Month : 37.58
    Year : 37.58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the new log Brokenman. Hope 2012 brings the results you deserve :-)

So official 12 week training for Connemara starts today. I'm goin gto more or less follow the programme I did for Dublin last time, just need to concentrate a littl emore on the tempo runs as that was definitely a missing ingredient last time.

Today 4 miles at a comfortable pace supposedly. Really felt off from the start though and never got into a nice flow. Didn't enjoy it much and definitely way more effort required than there should have been. Felt quiet stiff as well as just generally not into it.

Oh well hopefully just a bad day.

Distance : 4 miles
    Pace : 8:32
    HR (max/avg): 171/158

Totals
    Week: 4
    Month : 41.58
    Year : 41.58

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Best of luck with training plan, 12 weeks will fly, keep the focus!

• Advertisement

Indoor football last night so legs were pretty wrecked today. went out for 5 handy miles at lunch. Still very heavy and stiff but kept the pace relatively easy just to get th emiles in.
    Had a physio appointment for this evening. There wasnt anything really wrong with the legs just very tight calfs, pretty painful session and I'm walking like I ran a marathon tonight:eek: Should be feeling a lot better in a couple of days.

Pace : 8:41
    HR (max/avg): ?

Totals
    Week: 9
    Month : 46.58
    Year : 46.58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey BrokenMan,

Best of luck with the shiny new log!

I was 196lbs before starting my training last year and that was down to 170lbs by the time of my marathons in November. Keep with the plan and eat somewhat sensibly and you should see the weight dissappear!

Also, I had a really bad back in Jan of last year. I was told to strengthen my core but I wasn't placing full trust in that. However, as the year went on I introduced a little core work a few times a week and that seemed to pay dividends. I am now trying to get ahead of the curve by doing even more core work for 2012 given I'll be doing considerably more mileage this year so I suggest stick with the core sessions alright!

Hope to see you at some of the races throughout the year!

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey BrokenMan,

Best of luck with the shiny new log!

I was 196lbs before starting my training last year and that was down to 170lbs by the time of my marathons in November. Keep with the plan and eat somewhat sensibly and you should see the weight dissappear!

Also, I had a really bad back in Jan of last year. I was told to strengthen my core but I wasn't placing full trust in that. However, as the year went on I introduced a little core work a few times a week and that seemed to pay dividends. I am now trying to get ahead of the curve by doing even more core work for 2012 given I'll be doing considerably more mileage this year so I suggest stick with the core sessions alright!

Hope to see you at some of the races throughout the year!

Thanks I lost a good bit of weight when I started out running about 3 years back but then it plateaued and even started to creep back up last year. The old saying you cant outrun your mouth springs to mind. Just got to refocus a bit on it.

Definitely going to keep up the core work, am hearing very good things about it and hopefully will give me some benefit.

Last night I just did a very handy recovery session as the legs were very tender after the physio still. Had eased out a bit by the end though so did some good

Distance : 3.37 miles
    Pace : 9:34
    HR (max/avg): 168/151

Today the legs were still a bit sore so had to ease myself gently into this run. Increased the pace a bit once they started fo rfeel ok after a couple of miles but never went too fast. Hopefully the legs will be back to normal tomorrow.

Pace : 8:41
    HR (max/avg): 172/161

Totals
    Week: 17.37
    Month : 54.95
    Year : 54.95

Good luck with the training plan for conn. Will be no bother to you. Getting some good runs in at the moment. Hard to get out at this time of the year.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Good luck with the training plan for conn. Will be no bother to you. Getting some good runs in at the moment. Hard to get out at this time of the year.

Thanks Nules Conn isn't a goal race by any means, I'm just running it again for the fun of it and to keep me ticking over during the winter. Saying that obviously I want to take a bit of time off last year.

First LSR of the year and longest run since DCM. Took it nice and easy, goal was just to get the miles done and pay no attention at all to the pace. Was dark out when I started and was really nice seeing the day breaking, not been out that early in the morning in a good while.

Legs are more or less recovered and they weren't really giving me any trouble. Going to have a crack atthe 8K in tuam tomorrow more as a tempo run than a flat out race.

Distance : 14 miles
    Pace : 8:58
    HR (max/avg): 177/160

Totals
    Week: 31.37
    Month : 68.95
    Year : 68.95

Sounds like a pretty good morning run and the pace was good too!
    I'm doing Tuam tomorrow also so may well run into you at some stage!
    I'll just be doing it at about 80% - 90% as have had two lsrs in a row. Probably target 38mins or so.
    Best of luck anyways!

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Thanks Nules Conn isn't a goal race by any means, I'm just running it again for the fun of it and to keep me ticking over during the winter. Saying that obviously I want to take a bit of time off last year.

Is it the full you are doing? i am doing the half and like you just doing it for fun might see you there :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Is it the full you are doing? i am doing the half and like you just doing it for fun might see you there :)

Yes its the full again. Did it last year and really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a pretty good morning run and the pace was good too!
    I'm doing Tuam tomorrow also so may well run into you at some stage!
    I'll just be doing it at about 80% - 90% as have had two lsrs in a row. Probably target 38mins or so.
    Best of luck anyways!

If you finished around 38 mins we wouldn't have been far apart.

Plan today was to just run this as a tempo run and try and avoid the temptation of taking off like a madman as I usually do. Lined up a little further back than normal so that I wouldn't get dragged into a fast pace early. Legs were a little heavy as well which helped keep things under control.

It was my first time running this race and Tuam AC put on a good show as they always do in any of their races. Course was nice a fast for anyone looking for a quick time but there was a fairly stiff breeze on the outward part of the course.

I got into a nice pace from the first mile and just kept tipping along keeping the pace around the 7:40 mark, always felt that I could/should be going faster. Funnily enough I still found myself picking off a lot of runners over the second half without really increasing the pace. Was tempted to kick on from a couple of K out as I was feeling strong but decided to follow the plan and just keep the pace. Couldn't resist though when I saw a 200 meter to go mark on the road and skipped past a few people coming up to the line. Doesn't happen too often:D

All in all a good race, really enjoyed it and would recommend it. Didn't get a chance to sample the after race refreshments though.

Just had a half mile warmup before to bring the total to 5.5 miles for the day.

Distance : 5.5 miles (8 K race)
    Pace : 7:40 (race pace)
    HR (max/avg): 181/172

Totals
    Week: 36.87
    Month : 74.45
    Year : 74.45

Monday I was feliong really crappy so took the day off entirely and yesterday was indoor football night so guess thats my day off and cross trainign day back to back.
    Today 5 miles at lunch, really nice day to be out felt almost spring like. Apart from that nothing to report. Body felt good and pace was nice.

Distance : 5
    Pace : 8:32
    HR (max/avg): 179/162

Totals
    Week: 5
    Month : 79.45
    Year : 79.45

BrokenMan wrote: »
    If you finished around 38 mins we wouldn't have been far apart.

Hey BM, I started easily but picked up the pace throughout and finished strongly in 35:53 by my watch. Looks like you had more discipline than me in holding back a little!
    You would have been finishing very close to my brother...what was your actual finish time??

Hey BM, I started easily but picked up the pace throughout and finished strongly in 35:53 by my watch. Looks like you had more discipline than me in holding back a little!
    You would have been finishing very close to my brother...what was your actual finish time??

Dunno if it was disipline or laziness.

I finished in 38:16 on the watch but I was only guessing where the start line actually was.

Last night was first night back at the fast stuff. 5 X 7 mins with 1 min recovery. Found it tough enough, legs and lungs not used to going any way fast at the moment. As usual though felt pretty good at the end and glad I stuck with it. PAce probably slightly on th eslower end of the range but for the first night back I'm not complaining. Max HR of 193 :eek:, not seen anything like that in a while

Reps
    Pace/HR
    7.24/169
    7.24/172
    7.14/175
    7.26/175
    7.16/178

Distance : 6.91
    Pace : 8:11
    HR (max/avg): 193/170

Totals
    Week: 11.91
    Month : 86.36
    Year : 86.36

Just a recovery run today. Legs were ok but still kept the pace nice and easy with a 15 miler coming up tomorrow.
    No real ill effects from last nights session apart from just some general stiffness at the start.

Distance : 4
    Pace : 9:11
    HR (max/avg): 175/161

Totals
    Week: 15.91
    Month : 90.36
    Year : 90.36

One of those really bad ones today. Just felt off right from the start and never got out of it. Not sure if I'm actually coming down with something or its just one of thse crappy days.

Best forgotten this one. Pace was shocking slow and HR was way too high.

Distance : 14.75
    Pace : 9:24
    HR (max/avg): 177/165

Totals
    Week: 30.66
    Month : 105.11
    Year : 105.11

Sunday. Still feeling pretty off so just took it handy enough.
    Couldn't quiet put my finger on what was wrong just a general feeling of not being well.
    Got through it though.

Pace : 8:40
    HR (max/avg): 176/167

Totals
    Week: 35.66
    Month : 110.11
    Year : 110.11

• Advertisement

Still not the best today but had a bit more energy at least.

Managed to put a reasonable short run together over lunch.

Pace : 8:31
    HR (max/avg): 175/163

Totals
    Month : 114.11
    Year : 114.11

Catch up time. didn;t realise I hadn't updated in so long

Thursday 26th

Intervals @ 5K pace with 90 seconds recovery. Tough but managed to hit the required pace.

Distance : 6.83
    Pace : 8:33
    HR (max/avg): 189/165

Totals
    Week: 10.83
    Month : 120.94
    Year : 120.94

Friday 27th

5 miles easy. Legs a bit tired but OK in general.

Pace : 8:46
    HR (max/avg): 180/164

Totals
    Week: 15.83
    Month : 125.94
    Year : 125.94

Saturday 28th

4 miles easy to get the legs ready for the Dungarvan 10 mile on Sunday. Forgot to pack the HRM.

Pace : 8:47
    HR (max/avg):

Totals
    Week: 19.83
    Month : 129.94
    Year : 129.94

Sunday 29th - Dungarvan 10 mile

Was treating this more as a fast paced long tempo run than a pure race and have to say it went exactly to plan. Slow first mile and then had the next 8 in and around 7:30 pace. Kicked for the last mile to go 6:57. Very happy with how it went.

Fantastically well organised race as well, deserves all the high praise it gets.

Mile warm up before.

Distance : 11 (10 race)
    Pace : 7:32
    HR (max/avg):

Totals
    Week: 30.83
    Month : 140.94
    Year : 140.94

Monday 30th

Very slow recovery run. Legs were feeling the effects of the race a bit but not as bad as if I was flat out. Nice to have an easy jog around though.

Pace : 9:20
    HR (max/avg):

Totals
    Month : 144.94
    Year : 144.94

Really enjoyable run today down by the river. Not been down this way before despite often hearing how nice it was. Will certainly be back again. Had a bit of a sore knee yesterday so was a llittle bit worried but it held up with only a slight twinge at times.

Wasn't paying any attention to the time.

Pace : 8:40
    HR (max/avg):

Totals
    Week: 9
    Month : 5
    Year : 149.94

Advertisement