Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated rappers

• 02-01-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

Anyone else think Rakim is ridiculously overrated. Kool g rap could rap circles around him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Eric B is overrated too. Always preferred Polo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

No I disagree with you completely, Rakim was one of the first rappers to have complex, intellectual lyrics and one of the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Mc dubh :pac:

This is all opinion so don't go jumping down my throat but I think tupac is completely over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    This is all opinion so don't go jumping down my throat but I think tupac is completely over rated.

Seriously? Really?

Also I was expecting this thread to be about Odd Future, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole or Drake.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Mc dubh :pac:

No way I think he is the best, second would be The Assassin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Seriously? Really?

Also I was expecting this thread to be about Odd Future, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole or Drake.

Drake isnt overrated...he was never even rated to begin with.

Drake isnt overrated...he was never even rated to begin with.

He is very rated, and imo over-rated.

Seriously? Really?

No way I think he is the best, second would be The Assassin.

Yeah man, i seriously don't understand all the hype about tupac when there is rappers out there who are lyrically better than him and have better flows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

oh loads, some people are fooled by content, they think the content determines the quality of the song.
    so for that reason theres tons of wack rappers given way too much credit.
    immortal technique instantly springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

lil wayne all the way, how this man was actually considered the best rapper alive at one stage was beyond me.

Jay Z right now, ye some of his old stuff is unreal but the last 5 years he's been shocking, was so hard to listen to on WTT.

the rest of the top of my head

Birdman
    young jeezy
    gucci
    wacka
    wale

• Advertisement

+1 on lil wayne, he's fúckin brutal and Dr dre as a rapper as well, he's a brilliant producer and possibly one of the best but he doesn't even write his own lyrics.

wayne gets a raw deal, tha carter 2 and 3 are top albums, two in particular is a gem.

Ricky Rozay
    Not the worst ever but hes part of a new trend in hip hop, certain acts being way over hyped when theyve achieved nothing.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    wayne gets a raw deal, tha carter 2 and 3 are top albums, two in particular is a gem.

wouldnt agree with that hugh, I jumped on the bandwagon a few years ago and bought the carter 3 to see what the hype was and its by far the worst album iv ever bought.

never listened to the carter 2 so i cant say much but i have witnessed the horrible music on his last album possibly one of the worst albums in the history of hip hop to them kind of numbers.

the 2 albums he released in between the carter 3 and 4 were also shocking from a hip hop perspective even though i think one was an attempt at rock n roll.. thank f*ck he hung up the guitar hopefully the mic will follow.

hateful comment yes but there's rappers who get slated even here for a lot less, i think wayne gets away with murder the likes of drake and nicki will keep him relevant for a few more years the joys of having most of your fan base under the age 18.

Yeah man, i seriously don't understand all the hype about tupac when there is rappers out there who are lyrically better than him and have better flows.

Even rappers who have been around longer than him do not have the sheer quality and quantity of songs along with his other work.

I seriously recommend giving him a second chance.

Lil Wayne is certainly overhyped but overall he is not that bad (granted I have never listened to any of his albums in full and only recently gave him a proper chance) especially when compared to Wale, Big Sean and others mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

50cent started great with get rich or die tryin than went down hill with every album after that. Seems only interested in beef and nothing else.

Even rappers who have been around longer than him do not have the sheer quality and quantity of songs along with his other work.

I seriously recommend giving him a second chance.

Lil Wayne is certainly overhyped but overall he is not that bad (granted I have never listened to any of his albums in full and only recently gave him a proper chance) especially when compared to Wale, Big Sean and others mentioned.

I listened to pac for years and eventually realised what i was missing in not listening to as many other artists and after listening to some of my present favourites like tribe, wu tang, mos def there is no sense in giving him a 2nd chance if I'm happy with the people I listen to today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Birdman

Not going to argue with your opinions where we differ, but I spat Fanta out laughing when I read the word 'Birdman'. In order to be over-rated, you have to be rated in the first place, and all opinions aside Birdman is the worst 'rapper' that I have ever heard. As you might be aware I'm a Weezy fan, therefore I am shuddering every time I see the words 'ft.Birdman...' on a track, which is annoyingly often.

"Blah blah blah, mo money, blah blah blah garbage can, blah blah we on shine, blah blah blah junior is the best."

Up there with the worst to ever spit imo. And this is from a guy who owns a YMCMB t-shirt.

Others in the thread I agree with:

Waka Flocka
    Gucci
    Rick Ross

Always thought P Diddy had a woeful flow aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about rip-hap but may I suggest Kanye 'Gayfish' West?

I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about rip-hap but may I suggest Kanye 'Gayfish' West?

You can suggest it, but not many would agree.

I listened to pac for years and eventually realised what i was missing in not listening to as many other artists and after listening to some of my present favourites like tribe, wu tang, mos def there is no sense in giving him a 2nd chance if I'm happy with the people I listen to today

Ok, but wow I think this may be the first time I heard of someone listening to but not like 2pac. He has so many good songs (so many in general) and such a range of topics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You can suggest it, but not many would agree.

Okay.

/runs

I was not a fan of him for ages, but after seeing all the production he did and after I heard Stronger I went back and listened to most of his stuff around the time 808 was out and he is a good rapper/writer and a great producer.

Gay fish what an episode lol, but I like kanye but I'd have to agree I think he is just a small bit overrated.

I mean fair enough he is a great producer but that doesn't really come in to it if we are talking about over rated rappers IMO.

As a rapper is kanye over rated I'd say yes he doesn't exactly blow you away listing to him, it's more his actions and out spoken personality/ego that gives you the awe factor with kanye rather than his skills on the mic IMO his music is very commercial/pop orientated these days.

As a whole though yes he is very talented. Perfect example of a rapper who has progressed his sound and career you can never accuse kanye of being repetive that's one thing I always admired.

Good points but I like Kanye because of his outspoken nature, but within his music, as in not his rants and all that crap.

"and throw a tantrum like he is three years old, but you gotta love it that someone still speaks from his soul" and just the fact he had a commercial success with a song about Jesus like who does that?

Anyway - possibly the most overrated currently has to be odd future. They are garbage.

I used to really like kanye, i used to have the college dropout when it first came out and i loved it and i still think it's a fairly decent album, at the moment him and jay z are very over rated but if anything when kanye first hit the spotlight he was under rated.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Not going to argue with your opinions where we differ, but I spat Fanta out laughing when I read the word 'Birdman'. In order to be over-rated, you have to be rated in the first place, and all opinions aside Birdman is the worst 'rapper' that I have ever heard. As you might be aware I'm a Weezy fan, therefore I am shuddering every time I see the words 'ft.Birdman...' on a track, which is annoyingly often.
    this actually didnt occur to me, birdman is in no way shape or form given any credit for his rapping, he is not hyped up or made out to be a master of the art.
    so ye, there fore he is not over rated, because as you said, no one really rates him to begin with.

i think watch the throne is over rated.
    i do not think jay and kanye are though, i know they are as great as people say they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kanye is a good rapper, but I don't think he's as good now as he was a few years ago. Also, he's not as good as he thinks he is.

I will never understand why 50 Cent is so popular. Also J. Cole and Drake, I don't think I'm ever going to get them. Current Eminem is bollocks too, in my opinion, although I don't know if his newer stuff is even 'rated' to begin with.

Kanye is a good rapper, but I don't think he's as good now as he was a few years ago. Also, he's not as good as he thinks he is.

I will never understand why 50 Cent is so popular. Also J. Cole and Drake, I don't think I'm ever going to get them. Current Eminem is bollocks too, in my opinion, although I don't know if his newer stuff is even 'rated' to begin with.

No, people definitely rate eminems new stuff and quite highly aswell, It's just the people who are new to hip hop and are unaware of anything not played on mtv or the radio that think so highly of it but i have to agree with you, his new stuff hasn't got a patch on the likes of the slim shady LP or the eminem show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah Eminems new stuff isnt the best, to me its getting too mainstream, although some of the songs on Hell: The Sequel like Welcome to Hell and Echo are quite good, it seems to be since he has gotten off drugs he's went a little downhill, still one of the best lyricists around IMO.

Advertisement