Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated rappers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

anyone who suggests eminem is some how not an amazingly talented artist is crazy.
    people have this thing that if your later albums dont quite match the brilliance of your earlier material you are finished.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Eminem being mentioned is no more ludicrous than 2pac being mentioned.

true but i don't think either are over rated they deserve all the credit they get, but there popularity seems to go against them in these kind of threads, i just think its impossible to call someone the greatest artist of all time in music as a whole.
    anyone who suggests eminem is some how not an amazingly talented artist is crazy.
    people have this thing that if your later albums dont quite match the brilliance of your earlier material you are finished.

+1 on that, happens to just about every artist at some point in their career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I couldn't name one but it would have to be from someone like the stones or the beetles or bob marley or one of the classics, there was just too many great artists before eminem for any of his songs to be considered one of the greatest songs ever written.

Just because something comes from rock doesn't automatically make it better. Rock has its fair share of sh*t, and it's also had decades to evolve, much longer than hip hop. Just because Eminem hasn't been around as long as the Beatles or the Stones (who wrote their fair share of sh*te in their day) or Bob Marley, doesn't mean that he hasn't written a song that is going to stand the test of time. Just because someone is older doesn't make them better. Eminem is a great artist, as well as an icon, even if his current work isn't quite as good (but that's just opinion). Sure, even Seamus Heaney commented on his writing ability.

The Beatles and Bob Marley and the likes aren't always going to be the only people to be held up as classic artists. Music is still evolving, there are new and great artists coming to the fore all the time, there are more talented people in the world than just those artists, and guaranteed somebody will eventually come along that is more talented than the Beatles (there probably already are people out there who are). Eminem is one of the current artists who is actually going to be remembered, and not just in hip hop, but for the impact he's had on popular culture in general. His image and music has crossed-over, so he's not just in the domain of hip hop, he's beyond that. People are still going to know who he is in 20 years time. Surely that's a test of how great someone is. Sure his music is not as old as Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds or Satisfaction, but how exactly is that a test of how great a song is? Anyway, I don't believe for a second that people listening to the Beatles and the Stones back then seriously believed that they were listening to "the greatest songs of all time", they were listening to pop music that has happened to become timeless, much the same as what people do today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Oh I was not for a minute saying Eminem is overrated.

Him without Dre however he would be Eyedea.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

I actually do think Eminem is overrated. I think he has the ability to have great storytelling, which he has used in some songs. Also there is no doubt that with rhyming alone he is great, but I don't see how he can be considered the GOAT personally. Currently, he uses vague 'emotional' subjects which he knows will relate to the self loathing and depressed youth of today. "I'm Not Afraid" is basically just a song for someone to be all like "My mom and dad faught last night, I relate to this SOOOO much". Safe to say, I'm not a fan :D.

I feel Rakim is quite overrated, but when he really goes for it he is one of the GOATs. Timeless, so age don't count in the booth, when you're flow stays submerged in the fountain of youth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I dont think that Eminem is over-rated at all. Brilliant MC and is so diverse in hop he delivers.

It's just a shame his career choices are not what I wanted to see him do. And he shouldnt have started producing.

But, amazing rapper.

@conor.hogan.2 - I dont think Em and Eyedea should be used in the same context really. Eyedea had the choice to go 'hollywood' but chose not to to make music that he as a solo artist and part of a group with Ailities wanted to make.
    Em started out that way and went 'hollywood', and now is making chart music really as a solo artist.

Boom Bap - Eyedea never had a Dre with him thats my point.

Maybe he did? I don't know his history that well but if Eminem did not get the Dre break he would not have blown up as much and possibly had a bad end like eyedea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Who ever said he was over rated? If anything he was first under rated when he brought out infinite, which is a class album but I maintain my original point which is that the lad that said that Stan was the greatest song ever written is wrong, end of eminem discussion.
    Mos Def

Mos def is nowhere near over rated, he is possibly the smartest rapper alive and the deepness of his songs can't be beaten and thats the truth.

Every conscious rapper is over rated, any time you see someone describe a rappers music as a "real rap" they are talking about a rapper who is over rated.

He is clever and it rubs off on his lyrics, I would not brush him off as "conscious".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

the lad that said that Stan was the greatest song ever written is wrong.

There's no "wrong", it's all just opinion. You're not automatically right just because you disagree, there's plenty who would think you're opinion is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Mos def is nowhere near over rated, he is possibly the smartest rapper alive and the deepness of his songs can't be beaten and thats the truth.

you're passing way too much of your opinion off as facts.

some artists are good, but because their music reflects certain issues some people levitate them to a position they dont deserve.
    mos def is one such artist, hes not great in all honesty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

can we please refer to Mos Def as Yassin Bey now please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Too true. OK maybe saying that infinite bollocks was a bit harsh.. After all scary movies, infinite and tonite are good songs. But people were caught up in the fact that there was actually a decent white rapper who was zany, crazy and unpredictable rapper which was why TSSLP sold so well. Again there were a few good songs on it but I'd only listen to still don't give a.... Just don't give a f... And bad meets evil on that album. His new stuff is just so much more lyrically sophisticated that to me his older stuff looks outdated. Recovery standard throughout the album is higher than any other one besides maybe the Eminem show. Not to call Stan an incredible song is ridiculous. It's a masterpiece and it seems to me like Paddy just wants to go against the grain and try sound like he knows more than he does by bashing a great,popular artist, who, because of his ability, happens to be popular. Relapse is my favourite album Btw.

But the original post where someone referred to stan as the greatest song ever written isn't passing an opinion off as fact?

Eoghan41 wrote: »
    Too true. OK maybe saying that infinite bollocks was a bit harsh.. After all scary movies, infinite and tonite are good songs. But people were caught up in the fact that there was actually a decent white rapper who was zany, crazy and unpredictable rapper which was why TSSLP sold so well. Again there were a few good songs on it but I'd only listen to still don't give a.... Just don't give a f... And bad meets evil on that album. His new stuff is just so much more lyrically sophisticated that to me his older stuff looks outdated. Recovery standard throughout the album is higher than any other one besides maybe the Eminem show. Not to call Stan an incredible song is ridiculous. It's a masterpiece and it seems to me like Paddy just wants to go against the grain and try sound like he knows more than he does by bashing a great,popular artist, who, because of his ability, happens to be popular. Relapse is my favourite album Btw.

I have already stated that I listen to eminem more and more lately and I'm liking him more and more so don't assume things you haven't a clue about and secondly you didn't describe stan as incredible you said it was the best song ever written, and in a way which made it look as though it was fact, which it clearly isn't.
    And I'm quite aware of and I respect eminems ability so again stop with the ridiculous assumptions.

Eoghan41 wrote: »
    have to disagree mate, his older stuff does not seem dated to me.
    SSLP for me was skippable, or so i thought, then one time i actually relistened to it and its so much better than i first gave it credit for.
    i always though it was good, but probably didnt appreciate it as much as it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

I have already stated that I listen to eminem more and more lately and I'm liking him more and more so don't assume things you haven't a clue about and secondly you didn't describe stan as incredible you said it was the best song ever written, and in a way which made it look as though it was fact, which it clearly isn't.
    And I'm quite aware of and I respect eminems ability so again stop with the ridiculous assumptions.

You know you're right. You're opinion is better than mine. Well done

Think ive said it, but Immortal Technique, he's shyt and hugely over rated / Thread...

EDIT: But he raps about important issues so hes godly, fukk outta here.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Think ive said it, but Immortal Technique, he's shyt and hugely over rated / Thread...

EDIT: But he raps about important issues so hes godly, fukk outta here.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't call him shíte but he's certainly over rated, somebody tried to say he was better than biggie and tupac which is blasphemous imo.

I would recommend people listen to IT a bit more, not all of his stuff is about "important issues".

He has a great head for picking good beats and production too, but I can see why people are put off by him in a similar sense to how they are put off by Bis and JMT as they are very outspoken and could be off-putting if you only listen to some of their songs.

the guy cant even ride a beat, his flow is awful, hes truly shyt.
    people need to stop being in awe of the issues and actually listen to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 megtyler

Lil Wayne
    Jay Z

megtyler wrote: »
    Lil Wayne
    Jay Z
    Nah, Way Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Nolanger wrote: »
    Eric B is overrated too. Always preferred Polo.
    Eric B is overrated at what? Ya know he didnt actually produce any of them tracks?

Method Man

Method Man
    In what sense is method man over rated, he's a fúckin brilliant MC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Method Man

you gotta be ****tin me :eek:

• Advertisement

ItsNugget wrote: »
    Eric B is overrated at what? Ya know he didnt actually produce any of them tracks?

What do you mean? He had a big part to play in the group. Polo did not produce a lot of the tracks either thats not to say he did not do other things.

Advertisement