Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated rappers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Now jay z is over rated, nowhere near as good as tupac or biggie in my opinion.
    Jay-Z is underrated if anything. Most of his work from reasonable doubt to the black album was quality. He has fallen off in the past few years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

yeah definitely over rated now, he used to be good but biggie was always bigger and better imo.

I think both Chino and Ras Kass can make songs, just that neither got any promotion or good beats and Chinos style is a little different to mosts. (minus razzy with the Goldyn child beat which was amazing)

Are you saying Tupac could not construct a song?
    He always but the right emotion in and always had good structure and polish on his songs and he spent possibly the most time in a studio out of any rapper.

Not to mention his actual poetry, screenplay (being released in 2012 appaerently) and other writings.
    No 2pac can make really good music. When he was on form he made some of the best hip hop around that time. Its just that all the great music he made gets bogged down by a lot of mediocre music that hes made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    No 2pac can make really good music. When he was on form he made some of the best hip hop around that time. Its just that all the great music he made gets bogged down by a lot of mediocre music that hes made.

I know it's your opinion, so it is subjective as is everyone (dis)likes and is up to you, but that said can you give examples of his bad songs?

i hate all pac songs that eminem produced, I know strictly speaking it's not pacs fault theyre **** but em just used beats completely uncharacteristic of pac

• Advertisement

i hate all pac songs that eminem produced, I know strictly speaking it's not pacs fault theyre **** but em just used beats completely uncharacteristic of pac

Mostly agree there, the originals were better beat wise and even pitch and speed etc.

Loyal to the game is a good song on LTTG but Ghetto Gospel is all messed up but is much more known because of it.

The pacs life album was shocking - that should be struck from the record.

But there are some Tupac songs that go better with better beats - a fair few off the Dark side of the block remix album for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Anyone who rates Lil Wayne in the slightest should watch this :p

Well he is on drugs, what was Drakes excuse?

Lil wayne is horse shít! that wasn't a freestyle that was someone on heroin trying to speak, if you can't freestyle you're not a good rapper, end of!

Well he is on drugs, what was Drakes excuse?

God I'm a Drake fan and even I agree, his freestyle was a shambles

• Advertisement

fjsanchez wrote: »
    God I'm a Drake fan and even I agree, his freestyle was a shambles

Shambolic but what was worse was it clearly was not even a freestyle - if it is written down and/or read it is not a freestyle it doesn't have to be 100% on the spot but it does have to not be written down or read off a page/phone etc.

"thats when i say" is not a freestyle.

Shambolic but what was worse was it clearly was not even a freestyle - if it is written down and/or read it is not a freestyle it doesn't have to be 100% on the spot but it does have to not be written down or read off a page/phone etc.

"thats when i say" is not a freestyle.

He used the first verse of one of his own songs, "Right Above It", for the first verse of the freestyle :o

fjsanchez wrote: »
    He used the first verse of one of his own songs, "Right Above It", for the first verse of the freestyle :o

Cheers - that means I definitely do not have to check out his music if that is a verse from a song of his.

So Drake is very very overated then.

Cheers - that means I definitely do not have to check out his music if that is a verse from a song of his.

So Drake is very very overated then.

Well to be honest not a lot of his music (esp. on Take Care) is anyways like that. That's some of his more mainstream stuff.

I know it's your opinion, so it is subjective as is everyone (dis)likes and is up to you, but that said can you give examples of his bad songs?
    Songs like military minds, street fame, made niggaz. Just trash. Most of the songs on his albums after he died also trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

agreed, like it was said a few posts back its his ego/personality and his actions outside music that have really propelled into mega superstardom for me, as an mc he's very average but that doesnt mean the man doesnt make good music because we all know he does.:)

Yeah, it's all about the image with him these days. He's definitely got talent, but I wish he wasn't so caught up in himself.

if you listen to his older stuff from power of the dollar album,mixtapes right up to say 04/05 with the beg for mercy album your opinion might change, ever since then its just been flashes of excellence here and there i.e co producing the documentary, small bit of the massacare, i get money etc but he's struggling these days big time.

I dunno, something about him just doesn't sit well with me.

on cole, im a big fan but i think the man set the bar so high from his mixtapes the only way was down... cole world is my biggest letdown of 2011 but i reckon he will bounce back with the collab with lamar coming in 2012.

Cole seriously lacks charisma for me, and I don't find him particularly interesting. Like, he doesn't really draw me in and I've given him more than one chance.
    on drake agree 100 per cent, i like a few of his songs but as a rapper he's terrible.. i think he would fall into r'n'b and pop before he would hip hop.

Agreed.

disagree here mate, i think em has succesfully progressed in his music through the recovery album his sound totally changed for me which i have to say i enjoyed... we arnt going to get the old em,jay,nas,50 etc etc back so we have to just move on times and circumstances change in their lives and it reflects in there music

but the marshall mathers lp is still one of my all time fav albums, love it start to finish but em is not capable (mind frame, maturity etc) to make an album like that again nor would he get away with it as much without any gear in him lol (joke).:D

I love that album too, and I know he's changed his sound and everything, but I don't think that automatically makes something good. I just don't think the music is good. I don't care about why he's angry this time or what he has to say. I think he's losing relevance in that way. The man is pretty much a pop culture icon at this stage and he doesn't really need to keep making music as his legend is pretty much intact, but he's gone from being an artist who really had something to say, to a guy who looks over-medicated and doesn't give a f*ck anymore. When he went away the first time, I think he should have just stayed away. His new stuff is doing his legacy no favours, for me.

I was not a huge fan of the Makaveli Tupac but that was only part of his style, also yes he had bad songs but I think his good songs far outweigh his bad ones and the sheer volume on its own is pretty amazing.

He doesn't have a "just lose it" or a "candy shop" or any songs like that other artists have that are completely terrible and cringe worthy but neither did he just keep releasing monotonous music either.

After he died they released every single rough draft (regardless of whether it was worthy of release or not), and doubtless mess tracks and practice tracks etc which is hardly his fault.

-TI
    -Wale

-50 Cent (overrated not bad in general, as in he is good but he should never have been on one of the most successful labels for this long considering the quality of music he has released after his first album)

-Rick Ross

-Snoop, come on outside dres album and doggystyle what has he done? He is not consistent at all, I love him and could listen to pretty much everything but thats more about his style than him as a rapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

-Snoop, come on outside dres album and doggystyle what has he done? He is not consistent at all, I love him and could listen to pretty much everything but thats more about his style than him as a rapper.

I don't think many regard Snoop as one of the best rappers ever or anything, it's just that he's managed to stay relevant in Hip-Hop for the last 20 years and because of his unique, flamboyant image he is now extremely well known all over the world, easily one of the most recognisable recording artists ever (not just in Hip-Hop).

He isn't overrated IMO, no one I know would ever say he's one of the greatest lyricists but he's a true Hip-Hop legend. He's released a few decent albums since Doggystyle too - Tha Last Meal, R&G, The Blue Carpet Treatment and some songs on the Doggumentary are all worth a listen :)

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think many regard Snoop as one of the best rappers ever or anything, it's just that he's managed to stay relevant in Hip-Hop for the last 20 years and because of his unique, flamboyant image he is now extremely well known all over the world, easily one of the most recognisable recording artists ever (not just in Hip-Hop).

He isn't overrated IMO, no one I know would ever say he's one of the greatest lyricists but he's a true Hip-Hop legend. He's released a few decent albums since Doggystyle too - Tha Last Meal, R&G, The Blue Carpet Treatment and some songs on the Doggumentary are all worth a listen :)
    Yeah the last meal is a pretty solid album. Probably my favourite after doggystyle. The eastsidaz first album is quality too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

snoops catalogue is not great but he is not over rated, at all.

• Advertisement

I think he is overrated as in he has much more success than he should have based on his rapping ability.
    Ye he is still relevant (somewhat) after 20 years but so are many people.

I think he is overrated as in he has much more success than he should have based on his rapping ability.
    Ye he is still relevant (somewhat) after 20 years but so are many people.
    if your relevant after 20 years your not over rated.
    i dont understand why people always concentrate on an artists worst work, and claim thats as good as that artist is.
    snoops best work is on par or more than likely better than the best work of your favorite rapper.
    he deserves credit for his best work, and deserves to be judged on that work.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    i dont understand why people always concentrate on an artists worst work, and claim thats as good as that artist is.
    snoops best work is on par or more than likely better than the best work of your favorite rapper.

Very true, even his writing skills for dre were better than anything em or jay or DOC ever wrote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Andre 3000 is an overrated knobend. Seriously, he hasnt done anything of note in 12 years. All cheese.

Andre 3000 is an overrated knobend. Seriously, he hasnt done anything of note in 12 years. All cheese.

You have proved yourself to have very little knowledge of hip hop in that statement.

Hugh Cream wrote: »

Read my posts - I like him but he is overrated for the amount of good stuff he has actually released rap wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

You have proved yourself to have very little knowledge of hip hop in that statement.

Oh holy jesus. The guy is a talentless clown with childish music. He belongs in the Black Eyed Peas. Remember that song Prorotype? Jeeeesus. Outkast first album is a classic, they have declined alot since then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can completely understand some of the statements here about 2Pac. Let me start by saying that I grew up on 2Pac, I used to buy his albums on thier release dates, bearing in mind that was any date in Ireland after the official release in the USA so it involved alot of visits to music stores!
    I bump all his albums (up to Makaveli) regularly, and love his music.

But.......he is one of the most predictable MCs I have ever heard. Listen to his delivery from his 2nd album onwards, it rarely changes. The same rhyme pattern is used. His subject matter was quite limited. These are 2 important factors for me to be a great rapper. Versatiility is important to me.

But, the way the music was made, it worked. His charisma shone through. But, if 2Pac was an unknown starting out now, I doubt he we would make any noise at all.

And I cant believe that Andre 3000 has been mentioned. He is one of the most talented artists I have ever heard. Never rusty, always evolving, technically brilliant. I think its a case that people want to hear the gangsta Dre from Southernplaya or the Dre from ATLiines, or the Dre from Aquemini........he has evolved artistically so much that people have a preference for one of his guises. It's time to accept them all and bow down to his excellence!

Snoop is totally over-rated. Name me 10 of his songs were he doesnt rely on spelling his name to fill a void.

Rakim is not overrated at all. After seeing him recently in concert, he is still a god.

Kool G Rap is totally under rated. Legend that never gets much props.

You see this argument always confuses me, you will see someone mention rhyme pattern and delivery when critiquing an artist.
    Then maybe in the same thread or a different one you will see them praise someone like rakim as a true great.
    Rakims pattern or delivery rarely changed, his subject matter more or less remains the same from day one.
    The selective critiquing is one of the worst aspects of a rap fan IMO.
    btw in no way shape or form criticizing rakim or claiming he's over rated, just using him as an example.

• Advertisement

Gonna kind of agree with one of the posters above and say outkast.
    Personally feel as a group they've only produced one great album in aquemIni.
    Don't shoot me though, it's only an opinion.

Advertisement