Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated rappers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Exactly.

He has a ginger beard, Google/youtube is not showing him as having much traction. Sounds a bit like Ghostface. Did a song with Ghostface and sounds less like him on that.

I think some people (not related to the above alone) are mistaking this for a "rappers you do not like" thread.

Rick Ross has no talent, especially when it comes to rapping.

Odd Future - seriously are the supposed to be like ICP?
    whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    they are awful.
    How so?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Again thats all opinion, I've listened to black sunday a few times and tbh I feel it gets worse every time.
    Really. Its considered one of the best hip hop albums of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

pragmatic1 wrote: »

One by who? and two that is one album.

It was not even the best album in 93.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cypress Hill, Black Sunday is great, no classic. Muggs is one of the best producers out there. B Real grinds my gears after a few songs.

Action Bronson has got serious skills and is one of the most exciting MCs coming out of NY. Getting Premo to produce you after a couple of listens is whopper.

• Advertisement

say what now, by who.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

As an avid fan of hip hop I've never come across anybody who has said black sunday is one of the best albums of all time.

One by who? and two that is one album.

It was not even the best album in 93.
    The source magazine.

Cypress Hill-Cypress Hill was also on the list.

I think your clutching at straws mate, black Sunday may have been on a list some where, after all these lists are only about opinion and someone is bound to agree with you.
    But I think you would struggle to find more than five lists with that album on it, I think you would struggle to find more than two list tbh.

I think your clutching at straws mate, black Sunday may have been on a list some where, after all these lists are only about opinion and someone is bound to agree with you.
    But I think you would struggle to find more than five lists with that album on it, I think you would struggle to find more than two list tbh.

I know it made it in to well more than two lists but i can't see how tbh.

• Advertisement

I think you're the one clutching at straws mate. Back when the source was considered "the bible of hip hop", Black Sunday was considered one of the greatest albums of all time on two different occasions.

In addition, its very highy rated in vibe, hip hop connection, rolling stone magazine and q magazine. But hey if you dont like it, I guess all those publications got it wrong.

Oh and Cypress Hill-Cypress Hill, also critically acclaimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Beasties are awful, cypress hill are awful Mos Def is probably one of the most intellectual rappers alive.

I think 'awful' is a bit much.

I know this is all opinion

But I do not know how on one side you can say Cypress Hill are underrated but say 2pac is overrated.

I know this is all opinion

But I do not know how on one side you can say Cypress Hill are underrated but say 2pac is overrated.
    Because 2pac is overrated. Some people call time the goat. I wouldnt even have him in my top ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I find it more fascinating to listen to home-grown talent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQuSTH9CTT0

I find it more fascinating to listen to home-grown talent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQuSTH9CTT0

They do not get much listens here.

Because 2pac is overrated. Some people call time the goat. I wouldnt even have him in my top ten.

Ok so 10 platinum albums compared to Cypress Hills 4?

Of course you say it is not about sales or being number one in the source and other publications but then say CH are for the same reasons (except they get less mentions)

2pacs two 5 mic albums vs CH none?

Of course you say it is not about sales or being number one in the source and other publications but then say CH are for the same reasons (except they get less mentions)

This is all opinon man, statistics won't prove wether or not someone is over rated, it's all about who you prefer.

This is all opinon man, statistics won't prove wether or not someone is over rated, it's all about who you prefer.

I know.
    But Pragmatic is using the source to claim CH are underrated so it is relevant that 2pac gets more attention even in the source.

Look I like 2pac. I've listened to him since I was 17, but hes overrated in that hes not the best rapper of all time. Hes like the nirvana of hip hop. Was he a good rapper? Yes. Is he better than Nas, Biggie, Jay, Kool G Rap, Krs-1, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Pharoahe Monch, Jadakiss, Ice Cube, etc? No.

The reason I say CH are underrated is because they've been very influential in hip hop but dont get the recognition.

• Advertisement

Look I like 2pac. I've listened to him since I was 17, but hes overrated in that hes not the best rapper of all time. Hes like the nirvana of hip hop. Was he a good rapper? Yes. Is he better than Nas, Biggie, Jay, Kool G Rap, Krs-1, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Pharoahe Monch, Jadakiss, Ice Cube, etc? No.

The reason I say CH are underrated is because they've been very influential in hip hop but dont get the recognition.

Influential in what sense?

I know.
    But Pragmatic is using the source to claim CH are underrated so it is relevant that 2pac gets more attention even in the source.
    No, no. I said that black sunday was listed as one of the best hip hop albums of all time. You said it wasnt even listed on best albums of 1993. I posted that it was on the source list in direct response to you.

Influential in what sense?
    DJ Muggs production, first latinos to go platinum, open about weed smoking, amongst the first to talk about gangs and streetlife, the way they built a movement like soul assassins.

No, no. I said that black sunday was listed as one of the best hip hop albums of all time. You said it wasnt even listed on best albums of 1993. I posted that it was on the source list in direct response to you.

I said it was not the best album in 93 which imo it was not. Doggystle, Strictly, midnight mauraders, 36 Chambers and many others came out in 93.

Cypress Hill are good but influential to who and in what respect?

First latinos to go platinum? so what?

DJ Muggs production, first latinos to go platinum, open about weed smoking, amongst the first to talk about gangs and streetlife, the way they built a movement like soul assassins.

They weren't the first to be open about weed smoking because the chronic was brought out the year before and people were talking about gangs since the 80s in rap.

Open about weed smoking is hardly a plus, especially when other rappers were talking about it first and even harder drugs if you see that as a plus.

Their debut came out a year before the chronic but neither was the first, again as if that is a plus or matters.

They weren't the first to be open about weed smoking because the chronic was brought out the year before and people were talking about gangs since the 80s in rap.
    They were. Their first album was 1991. I said amongst the first to talk about street life.

They were. Their first album was 1991. I said amongst the first to talk about street life.

No they were not, again even if you see that as a positive which I don't see how that would be one of the biggest positives.

Open about weed smoking is hardly a plus, especially when other rappers were talking about it first and even harder drugs if you see that as a plus.

Their debut came out a year before the chronic but neither was the first, again as if that is a plus or matters.
    I didnt say it was a plus or a minus. I was asked how were they influential. Who advocated smoking weed before them?

• Advertisement

I didnt say it was a plus or a minus. I was asked how were they influential. Who advocated smoking weed before them?

Eazy E.

Advertisement