Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated rappers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Cypress Hill, Black Sunday is great, no classic. Muggs is one of the best producers out there. B Real grinds my gears after a few songs.

Action Bronson has got serious skills and is one of the most exciting MCs coming out of NY. Getting Premo to produce you after a couple of listens is whopper.

for some reason im finding it really hard to listen to action and i dont no why.. he seems to be gettin mad props everywhere, but cant pull myself together to listen to him. as for whoever said pun and l were over rated, is u crazy..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Eazy E.
    When? Because I remember NWA being pretty anti-drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Pun and L were not overrated but because of how little they released I can see how some would call them overrated.

Tone Loc, Eazy-E, Beastie Boys and others but in the 80's drugs were usually frowned upon in rap as drugs were a huge problem in the 80's and that lessened in the 90's so it become more acceptable to reference drugs.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    When? Because I remember NWA being pretty anti-drugs.

Dope man and 8 ball for one, but it did show both sides of the story in relation to drugs. Not only weed.

Not to mention 2pac, arguably around the same time or after CH.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 midg23

I dont agree that Tupac is overrated.

Its the sheer lyrical content and the context of which he raps about is what makes him possibly one of the best ever imo.

Shock G said it best when everyone was comparing Biggie and Tupac.

Dope man is about crack and its a cautionary tale. Its hardly hits from the bong or how high.

Dre in NWA "I don't smoke weed or a sess. Cause its known to give a brother brain damage."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

Cannot believe people are mentioning Andre 3000 in this. Rapping aside, the man is just an incredibly talented musician, naturally. Great singing voice, plays a variety of instruments (he played every instrument on Hey Ya! aside from bass), as well as having a very smooth, jazz-influenced rapping technique and multiple styles. He's a chameleon who can keep switching it up, incorporating different genres into his music while staying relevant and keeping up a very high quality (unlike some). To be honest, I think Andre could turn his hand to pretty much any genre of music and be great at it. As far as just raw talent and orignality, he is streets ahead of most people in the music industry in general, not just hip hop.

th thread is about the most overrated rapper, not overrated musician!

Dope man is about crack and its a cautionary tale. Its hardly hits from the bong or how high.

Dre in NWA "I don't smoke weed or a sess. Cause its known to give a brother brain damage."

As I said during the 80's it was mainly anti drugs because of crack mainly.
    But tone loc had weed songs and hold it now hit it is about weed too in part.

Again promoting drugs is hardly a positive.

As I said during the 80's it was mainly anti drugs because of crack mainly.
    But tone loc had weed songs and hold it now hit it is about weed too in part.

Again promoting drugs is hardly a positive.
    Again I didnt say it was a positive or a negative, I was asked about influence. And first it was weed, now its drugs in general. Shifting the goal posts much.

Again I didnt say it was a positive or a negative, I was asked about influence. And first it was weed, now its drugs in general. Shifting the goal posts much.

No I said Tone Loc and Beastie boys and others had songs on weed.
    Others had songs on drugs and weed was a part of it, I did mention that all along.

This is hardly something to applaud anyway, to repeat myself again.

Also what influence? Are you saying they influence Dre, Snoop and others to shift to talking about weed?

Again I do not see the relevance of this, despite it not even being true in the first place.

No I said Tone Loc and Beastie boys and others had songs on weed.
    Others had songs on drugs and weed was a part of it, I did mention that all along.

No you didnt mention tone loc or the beastie boys all along. And we were talking about weed specifically, not drugs in general. Had we been talking about drugs in general, we could go back to grandmaster flash and white lines.
    This is hardly something to applaud anyway, to repeat myself again.

For the third time. I didnt say it was a positive or a negative, we were talking about influence.
    Also what influence? Are you saying they influence Dre, Snoop and others to shift to talking about weed?

Again I do not see the relevance of this, despite it not even being true in the first place.

Cypress Hill are credited with bringing weed to the forefront in hip hop. Its probably the main thing associated with that group. For the fourth time, its relevant because I was asked how they were influential.

• Advertisement

Cypress Hill are credited with bringing weed to the forefront in hip hop. Its probably the main thing associated with that group. For the fourth time, its relevant because I was asked how they were influential.

It is the only thing associated with them, that are they are Latino.

"buggin out" just came on my ipod, released in 91 and has weed references.

I agree with others you like CH, fair eneough, but you really are clutching as straws.

Check my post, my first post to mention actual artists mentioned beasties boys and tone loc and clearly mentioned that others were talking mainly about other drugs.

It is the only thing associated with them, that are they are Latino.

"buggin out" just came on my ipod, released in 91 and has weed references.

I agree with others you like CH, fair eneough, but you really are clutching as straws.

Check my post, my first post to mention actual artists mentioned beasties boys and tone loc and clearly mentioned that others were talking mainly about other drugs.
    1. Someone said they were awful.
    I said they were critically acclaimed.

2. Someone asked me who rated them.
    I named several publications that rated their first and second albums very highly.

3. Someone asked how were they influential.
    I listed a number of ways that were influential. (forgot to mention the crossover appeal to the alternative crowd).

I really dont think I've been clutching at straws. I've answered every question, while others have shifted the goal posts and failed to admit when they've just been plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Sorry to derail the thread, but if I want to listen to Tupac and judge him myself what album/s should I download? Never really gave him a listen bar the odd song or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

I think you're the one clutching at straws mate. Back when the source was considered "the bible of hip hop", Black Sunday was considered one of the greatest albums of all time on two different occasions.

In addition, its very highy rated in vibe, hip hop connection, rolling stone magazine and q magazine. But hey if you dont like it, I guess all those publications got it wrong.

Oh and Cypress Hill-Cypress Hill, also critically acclaimed.
    why would i be clutching at straws, ive nothing to prove, ive nothing against the band, i just feel their shyt, so there fore over rated.
    ill eat my words and take it all back if i could see the lists of each publication you mentioned.

ill say it now, i doubt that album made it into many a top 10 but im open to be proven wrong?

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    why would i be clutching at straws, ive nothing to prove, ive nothing against the band, i just feel their shyt, so there fore over rated.
    ill eat my words and take it all back if i could see the lists of each publication you mentioned.

ill say it now, i doubt that album made it into many a top 10 but im open to be proven wrong?
    Just ****in google or wiki the first two albums. Jesus.

Just ****in google or wiki the first two albums. Jesus.
    relax, you made claims that are obviously wild, you have provided no back up.
    personally i couldnt say how well certain magazines rate albums, i read all the mags youve mentioned but i couldnt say i remember their best of lists.
    provide the lists, its not a big deal?

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Sorry to derail the thread, but if I want to listen to Tupac and judge him myself what album/s should I download? Never really gave him a listen bar the odd song or two.

All of it, imo.
    But check the 10 platinum albums there for a starter - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupac_Shakur#Discography

The greatest hits is oddly enough not a great album when compared to the others.

There is a lot I have 8 hours or so and that is not all but I have several songs remixed different ways.
    I have nowhere near all his songs, nowhere at all. I only have around a 100 or so, and as I said many of those are remixes.

I still can't believe you would be so adamant CH are amazing but 2pac is overrated, I know it is opinion but it is just crazy/loco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

All of it, imo.
    But check the 10 platinum albums there for a starter - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupac_Shakur#Discography

The greatest hits is oddly enough not a great album when compared to the others.

I still can't believe you would be so adamant CH are amazing but 2pac is overrated, I know it is opinion but it is just crazy/loco.

Well i think both of them are over rated, I think pac is over rated in the sense that people say he's the best rapper that ever lived and i think Cypress hill are over rated in the sense that people say they are one of the best groups ever, which they aren't by a long shot.

Well i think both of them are over rated, I think pac is over rated in the sense that people say he's the best rapper that ever lived and i think Cypress hill are over rated in the sense that people say they are one of the best groups ever, which they aren't by a long shot.

The difference is 2pac is actually in contention for GOAT, very few people would put CH in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

The difference is 2pac is actually in contention for GOAT, very few people would put CH in contention.

ah you cant really compare a rappers solo career to a group imo...

Wu tang gets the GOAT as far a groups go imo.

on a solo basis im undecided and probably always will be.

• Advertisement

yeah you're definitely right there, but pac certainly can't be called the greatest rapper that ever lived, but who can be?

It is all opinion who can be - imo it is a toss up between Rakim and 2pac.
    But Group wise Run-Dmc most likely but it changes so often.
    ah you cant really compare a rappers solo career to a group imo...

Wu tang gets the GOAT as far a groups go imo.

on a solo basis im undecided and probably always will be.

True, but I was not really comparing the two just responding saying basically besides a few people in general Cypress Hill are not mentioned in GOAT lists whereas 2pac is.

It is all opinion who can be - imo it is a toss up between Rakim and 2pac.

Rakim is certainly up there, people might find this ridiculous but i would certainly consider Ice cube up there purely for what he did for west coast hip hop in the 80s.

Rakim is certainly up there, people might find this ridiculous but i would certainly consider Ice cube up there purely for what he did for west coast hip hop in the 80s.

He is up there, in general no doubt.

But just because he was and is one of the few voices of the west should not have any bearing on it.

Look Cypress Hill arent my even favourite group. Someone or group can be underrated and not the best. At the same time a rapper can be very good but still overrated.

He is up there, in general no doubt.

But just because he was and is one of the few voices of the west should not have any bearing on it.

No it's not because he was one of the few voices of hip hop, it's that he put the west coast on the map in hip hop with NWA and he wrote all the lyrics (bar the odd few lines from Ren) for their first album which was the album that made NWA, being able to do that is unbelievable, and at the age he was. If it wasn't for him there wouldn't be a pac or eazy or dre or snoop.
    Who would have written Dres lyrics?
    Who would have inspired Eazy to rap?
    And if dre hadn't have made it big because of cube who would have formed Death Row records and signed Snoop or Pac or DPG.
    If it wasn't for Cubes writing skills west coast rap would be nothing.

One of the few voices of the west not of hip-hop, which is great but it should not really matter when considering him as an MC.

I know he basically carried NWA, which is huge and solo he is great too. But him basically being one of the few from the west doing well should not play into his skills.

2pac grew up on east coast hip-hop to a large part so although NWA influenced him a lot I would not say Ice Cube paved the way for him. He was going to be a rapper, actor etc with out without deathrow even though they played a big part sure wasn't he signed before them?

He had already gone platinum twice and had been in several movies.

Also Dre was producing before Cube and would have always been a huge producer and label/record exec or whatever he is.

He had a huge influence on the west and hip-hop in general, but I think you are overstating his influence.

One of the few voices of the west not of hip-hop, which is great but it should not really matter when considering him as an MC.

I know he basically carried NWA, which is huge and solo he is great too. But him basically being one of the few from the west doing well should not play into his skills.

2pac grew up on east coast hip-hop to a large part so although NWA influenced him a lot I would not say Ice Cube paved the way for him. He was going to be a rapper, actor etc with out without deathrow even though they played a big part sure wasn't he signed before them?

He had already gone platinum twice and had been in several movies.

Also Dre was producing before Cube and would have always been a huge producer and label/record exec or whatever he is.

He had a huge influence on the west and hip-hop in general, but I think you are overstating his influence.

You're probably right about me overstating his influence a bit, but he is one of the founding fathers of west coast rap and thats a fact.

You're probably right about me overstating his influence a bit, but he is one of the founding fathers of west coast rap and thats a fact.

Yes and a great rapper.

But the west coast thing is the main reason he is sometimes overrated as he was and is one of the few great west coast rappers. But I don't think that should make him be seen as better than he actually was.

• Advertisement

if people say pac is the best that ever did it and you disagree, fine.
    but your still gonna struggle to name 5 better than him, if you think you can you wrong.

Advertisement