Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated rappers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Very well put, he should be top 5 for everyone imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

BlueBaron wrote: »
    th thread is about the most overrated rapper, not overrated musician!

Read the rest of the discussion.

I know the thread says rapper, but disregarding production or other elements of a rap artist is just silly if you are discussing who is over or under rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Calling 2pac an overrated rapper is like calling Bob Marley an overrated Reggae artist, both of them are faces of their respective genres for good reasons

Sure, 'Pac wasn't the most talented rapper, and I do agree with BoomBap that he was very basic, but sometimes less is more, the guy got so many people into hip hop through his music

Also, his discography is pretty damn good, how many rappers can compare to him in that department? Making solid, well rounded albums is the key to a good artist, and 'Pac did that consistently while he was alive

And Outkast, overrated? Their body of work speaks for itself to be honest

In what way was 2pac basic?

• Advertisement

In what way was 2pac basic?
    I think his flow was fairly basic, his rhyme structures were predicable and his delivery, as BoomBap pointed out, rarely changed

But like I said, his simplicity worked in his favour

Simple vocabulary at times yes, but his subjects and his range was far better than most of that time and still even.

I think not emulating other peoples style (jay-z, eminem and others) is a good thing. Rakims flow is kinda the same in that respect.

I'd definitely agree there; 'Pac's subject matter and versitility made him stand out, even to this day

Agree on your point about Rakim too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

horsebox09 wrote: »
    And Outkast, overrated? Their body of work speaks for itself to be honest
    its not great though, thats the point, great songs but for a band so highly rated they have very few classic albums, if any, im counting one great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    its not great though, thats the point, great songs but for a band so highly rated they have very few classic albums, if any, im counting one great album.

what album would that be?

• Advertisement

this whole delivery/ rhyme structure argument is ridiculous, no one can just say, ahh i just dont like it, you gotta dissect the music with a fine tooth comb like mentioning structure or delivery makes the argument more valid.
    tbh i dont think anyone knows the basics of structure or delivery from a whole in the wall.
    and when i read a post where someone has mentioned those dreaded words i just roll my eyes and think, jesus not again.:rolleyes:

You are right rap has nothing to do with what you say or how you say it, wait what?

You are right rap has nothing to do with what you say or how you say it, wait what?
    i never said that.

i just find the argument ridiculous, its always used out of context, and it just strengthens my opinion of "rap fans" on forums being up their own arse.

i never said that.

i just find the argument ridiculous, its always used out of context, and it just strengthens my opinion of "rap fans" on forums being up their own arse.

How is it ridiculous?. A rapper should be based on what he says and how he says it. The context is discussing rappers on a forum.

i never said that.

How is it ridiculous?. A rapper should be based on what he says and how he says it. The context is discussing rappers on a forum.
    This is where I differ from a lot of people, content doesn't impress me.
    I dont think writing about specific issues makes a song sound better, nor does it make a rapper special.
    Fair enough, how the song is relayed is very important, but this is what I mean by using a point out of context.
    I'm not even sure people actually understand the meaning of the words their using.

Basically I feel when people start using all those words it's just them showing the rest of us how well informed they are.
    It's kind of like, look at me using all these words like technique, delivery, flow, content.
    Aren't I clever, Im really into hip hop, probably more so than everyone else.

ha ha watch this opinion go down like a lead balloon, but it's just how I feel, years of using hip hop forums has left me cynical.

It is hardly rocket science, you can't use it wrong it is about how it sounds. Unless someone starts talking about patterns and all that structure type of stuff I do not see how they are "well informed".

Content does not impress you, I am beginning to see why you like a lot of artists I do not.

Content and flow are not big words nor are they particularly complex, whatever about technique and other words which I have never seen anyone besides rappers actually using.

It is rap, it is mostly about lyrics I do not see how content could take a back seat. Of course there is the beat and production and lots of other things but as far as rap is concerned lyrics are key imo.

there is way more to rap than just the content, i almost feel like some people make them selves like certain rappers just because of the content in that rappers music, which is completely ridiculous.
    and i totally agree with you, its not rocket science, its fairly self explanatory, which is why im always amazed at how much its used out of context, or how people will say oh this is off or that is off, when the song and how its performed is perfectly fine.

like i said, i listen to a song and something grabs me, or it doesnt, if i start nodding my head instantly its a good sign.
    ive very rarely decided i didnt like a song based on content, in fact thats never happened.
    or ive never analysed a song to death looking for a weakness, other than it just being a song i dont like.

Well yes the beat and several other things can make a song, but if it a song from a rapper I think content is key as that is usually the main focus.

This is a forum, of course people will pick apart a song or artist. It would be like going to the soccer forum and just not discussing the game and just be like "ye they played grand, they won and thats pretty much all"

That said I don't particularly pick apart lyrics, unless it is a song you naturally have to listen to lots of times to get the lyrics.

It is rap, it is mostly about lyrics I do not see how content could take a back seat.
    sorry should have addressed this specifically.
    who decided what the content should be though, the content cant and should have no limits, even if its about bytches and hoes.

my point is, i dont rate music based on the content, you obviously do.
    and imo if your only listening out for the content your pre determining what it is you can and cant like, which is no way to listen to music.
    imo of course.

Well yes the beat and several other things can make a song, but if it a song from a rapper I think content is key as that is usually the main focus.
    i disagree, but for the sake of arguments, when you say content, what specific content do you mean?

• Advertisement

Oh I am not saying it always has to be "X" or "Y", of course the lyrics vary from B&H to Poverty to Club songs etc.

Content when talking about a rappers song would be the lyrics, as that is the main thing of that song. Yes the beat might be nice, or it might even have a great producer behind it but in the end it is a rap song and rap alone is about the lyrics - I am talking about rappers who are solo and have no Premo or JMJ or whoever who they work closely with.

I do not always analyse it, as you said if I am nodding my head like crazy I obviously find it good.

This is a forum, of course people will pick apart a song or artist. It would be like going to the soccer forum and just not discussing the game and just be like "ye they played grand, they won and thats pretty much all"

this is very true, and i cant disagree with it but its not me, and most of the time its not a valid point and used out of context.

now enough with the edits.:D

Oh I am not saying it always has to be "X" or "Y", of course the lyrics vary from B&H to Poverty to Club songs etc.

Content when talking about a rappers song would be the lyrics, as that is the main thing of that song. Yes the beat might be nice, or it might even have a great producer behind it but in the end it is a rap song and rap alone is about the lyrics - I am talking about rappers who are solo and have no Premo or JMJ or whoever who they work closely with.

I do not always analyse it, as you said if I am nodding my head like crazy I obviously find it good.
    you see its not, rap as its originally known is every bit about the dj, which in reality is the producer now.

listen i could be wrong but thats my opinion and im sticking to it.:D

Hip-hop music is as much about the dj as the rapper, I agree.

That is why I mentioned a group, like having JMJ or even working closely with Dre or Premo makes it different for the most part.

But now and for a long time there are just people who release rap songs and most of whats released now would be like that where they work with many or no producers and just get beats and rap over them and in those situations the lyrics are key imo.

This is all very general, obviously. Personally I always like songs that have good lyrics even if it over an amazing beat.

ye i can agree with that, when you put it like that.

ye i can agree with that, when you put it like that.

On the internet, I can never word things until the 11th or 12th try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

every single one of them , yep even will smith gets more credit than he deserves

On the internet, I can never word things until the 11th or 12th try.
    lol im the same, i know poeple read my posts thinking wtf is he trying to say.:D

cloptrop wrote: »
    every single one of them , yep even will smith gets more credit than he deserves
    the emo forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

it is just ryming though really , hikery dickery dock the mouse ran up the clock , i listened to nwa when i was 12 myself thinking how awesome they are , they are in gangs and they smoke weed how cool they are , when you grow up you realise even the cast of eastenders do drugs or pretty much anyone in entertainment , why not give your money to proper talent rather than some fella who says rymes over a bass line from someone elses song

Advertisement