Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add a light switch.

Options
  • 02-01-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Can I take the feed off a double socket and put a light switch for the shed on it? If so what is the correct way to wire it?

I currently have two 4foot double fluroscent lights wired into a 3pin plug and would prefer and switch in the house instead for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes and no i guess. Technically it should come off a separate lighting circuit, but lots (including my own) aren't.

Your best to fit a fused spur off a socket circuit and run the lights off that. The fused spur can be switched eliminating the need for a separate switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a fused spur?

I have a double socket right beside a unit in the kitchen and its the only place by the patio doors where I can get a feed for the lights

Sorry I thought your double socket was in the shed.

Sounds like you need a cable run to the shed. Put a double pole switch in the house by the socket and run the cable from there.

Fused spur is just a fancy name for a fuse holder, can have a switch or not.

I have the lights wired up with 2.5 square four core as I could get it for free wired up to a three pin plug that I plug into the double socket by the patio door.

Is a double pole switch a socket or are you on about a light switch?

Is a double pole switch a socket or are you on about a light switch?

A double pole switch, is a switch. It is used to isolate both the neutral and live connections (hence the double). It is seen as best practice to use one when supply the likes of a shed so that circuit can be completely isolated / turned off. This can be very usefull in trouble shooting, eg RCD keeps tripping.

From what i can gather you have an outdoor socket beside the patio door. How far is the shed from your outdoor socket?

I would take some 20mm plastic conduit and run it from the outdoor socket to the shed, seal it up with some silicone. You've a few options for inside the shed, but if its not fully weather tight i would use outdoor fittings inside there. I would also used a fused spur outlet for supplying the lighting.

• Advertisement

The socket by the patio door is inside of the house. The run of cable needed is roughly 10metres away from the house. The shed is fully sealed. No leaks in it.

So can I connect the pole light switch onto the live,neutral and earth from the double socket inside the house?

I'm going the put the light switch inside a unit right next to the double socket. Will put a dry lining box into the unit for the switch

The socket by the patio door is inside of the house. The run of cable needed is roughly 10metres away from the house. The shed is fully sealed. No leaks in it.

So can I connect the pole light switch onto the live,neutral and earth from the double socket inside the house?

I'm going the put the light switch inside a unit right next to the double socket. Will put a dry lining box into the unit for the switch

I'm not sure we are fully on the same page. If you are going to this amount of trouble I would also install a socket as well as the light in the shed.

I would get a double pole isolation switch placed beside the socket in the dinning room and take a cable from this to the shed. The choice of cable and how its protected will depend on how your run it, could use an SWA cable or regular cable in conduit.

I'm all for giving things a go, but it would probably be best to get an electrican in to do this for you, as it might be a bit of big job to start off with.

I'm not sure we are fully on the same page. If you are going to this amount of trouble I would also install a socket as well as the light in the shed.

I would get a double pole isolation switch placed beside the socket in the dinning room and take a cable from this to the shed. The choice of cable and how its protected will depend on how your run it, could use an SWA cable or regular cable in conduit.

I'm all for giving things a go, but it would probably be best to get an electrican in to do this for you, as it might be a bit of big job to start off with.

Hi I don't require a socket in the shed. I want to be able to turn the lights on from inside the house before I get to the shed so I can see what I am looking for in the dark. Will run the cable inside a conduit clipped to the fence.

I don't do any work in the shed. Only use it to store the tools but often need to go out to it in the dark to get tools required for different jobs on site

Hi I don't require a socket in the shed. I want to be able to turn the lights on from inside the house before I get to the shed so I can see what I am looking for in the dark. Will run the cable inside a conduit clipped to the fence.

I don't do any work in the shed. Only use it to store the tools but often need to go out to it in the dark to get tools required for different jobs on site

Then i would put a switched fused spur outlet beside the existing socket and run a cable out for lights to the shed. When your drilling out of the house, drill down at an angle, so moisture won't come in. And make sure to put mechanical protection on the cable. Make sure to protect the cable with suitable mechanical protection, some 20mm plastic conduait is fine if its above the surface.

This is what a switched fulsed spur looks like.
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html

Then i would put a switched fused spur outlet beside the existing socket and run a cable out for lights to the shed. When your drilling out of the house, drill down at an angle, so moisture won't come in. And make sure to put mechanical protection on the cable. Make sure to protect the cable with suitable mechanical protection, some 20mm plastic conduait is fine if its above the surface.

This is what a switched fulsed spur looks like.
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html

Ah now I'm on the same page as you. Sorry didn't realise when you were on about a fused spur you were referring to a fused switch. I'm not fully up with electrical terms.

Sound I'll do that so. What would you normally seal the hole where the wire comes out through with? Silicone?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Just on a side note. the lights you have are they sealed flourescent lights? I know you said the shed is weatherproof I'm just thinkin mechanical protection. If you're lifting something up and hit the tubes you're gonna get showered in glass not to mention the ****e inside them. All the other info you got is spot on fused spur drill down at an angle cover the cable in a conduit I'd use steel conduit if goin under ground with it might be easier to use swa either, fused spur beside the socket and bobs your uncle once you used 2.5 you can add a socket wirh a few minor changes later on. might be handy in summer for BBQ etc. Silicone in any of the holes you've drilled through the house wall is grand just go easy the last bit drilling through your wall or you'll burst a load of the render off it:D

Oh yeah when connecting the Spur the load side is the cable going out to the shed :D

Good luck and leave the actual connection to the socket till last do all the donkey work first putting up lights cutting out for dry lining box and running cables etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i would bring the supply into a dp switch in shed
    you can leave it on if you wan't to control lights from house

just to comply with rules on having an isolating switch in the outbuilding

Advertisement