Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of starting up a business but I don't know where to start

What agencies are out there to help me fas, enterprise Ireland etc? and what support can they give me, if any

Should I make up a business plan before approaching them? Should I register my business before approaching them?

The business I have in mind is home based, so that would reduce start-up costs. It would involve selling to shops. should I approach the shops with samples and get an opinion/order from them before I set up the business?

I have loads of other questions but for the moment I am just totally stumped about how to go about this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Great email micropig. I wrote a email like this a few days ago but this is so much better. Totally agree. I want to start a new company as I am fed up working for d***heads but I am totally stumped as where to start or go to! Hopefully we can get some advice here or if anyone knows start-up seminars in Dublin I would appreciate it.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

You might be able to start at your local county enterprise board for some advice or a mentor but the one thing about starting a business is that you're on your own... you need to get out there, reasearch, write a business plan and just make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bombe

Agree your local county board is te place to start - they will then point you in the right direction depending on your business needs....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MyAmber.net

It's always a great idea to visualise how your business is going to work.
    Just to make sure you thought about everything.
    There is this great video I found recently where they teach you how to put your business idea on paper - very useful to have the core of your business in one place.

http://businessimprove.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/business-model-canvas-lecture-from-the-author/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Thanks for the replies, i have constructed my buissness plan but it still needs a bit more researching so am currently working on it

i have tracked down my local enterprise board and will arrange an appointment

I'm just going to go for it and see what happens, not having done this before i was overwhelmed by all the different necesseties and finding a starting point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Hi MicroPig,
    Yes, get a business plan but also have a marketing plan with completed and compelling market research for investors/ Enterprise Boards, have a plan of action, set some goals for your business and write it all down/ type it all up.

If you do a lot of planning, 1. Any investors will see that you are serious, know what you are doing and they can also have a projection on paper of how your business might go which will give them a big push to take a risk on you, 2. It will give you a better idea of what you need to do and what you might be doing wrong to start with, 3. It will give you something to go back to for reference on a daily/ weekly basis to see if you are achieving what you had hoped.

Also, take a look at the Local Area Partnerships in your area such as Blanchardstown (http://www.bap.ie/), Fingal (http://www.fingalworks.ie/startingabusiness/) or South Side Partnership (http://www.southsidepartnership.ie/) or which ever area suits you best. These partnerships provide some great FREE courses for those starting their own business. You can get info on them at your local Social Welfare Office. Although it may seem like a something you don't have time for or something trivial, I really think the courses and advice they provide is well worth the time and you will be better for it in the end.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions.

Advertisement