Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the worst lie you've ever told? Were you caught?

• 02-01-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

For me it was lying to my parents about being caught shoplifting in quinnsworth when i was 12. :( I can't remember if I ever told them about it so I never mention it, better stay on the safe side. Feels so scummy that I ever shoplifted!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I won't co....oh, too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

This thread happens so frequently:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Put my head through the rear passenger window of a car which flipped over into a ditch while being 'driven' at extremely high speed by my 16YO mate when I was 15. Had to walk home though the fields in the middle of the night, arrived in the door shaking, shivering and covered in blood at 3AM to an entire family sitting up waiting for me.

Told my parents I had cut my head on the roof of a tractor (i didnt realised how bad i looked) - ould lad thought I had been in a bar brawl and didn;t believe my tractor yarn. He never found out the truth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Not only the worst lie, but a horrible lie.

Needed wanted Needed a day off work to go to a concert.
    Pretended a close relation had died, deserved an Oscar for my acting, between my shaking and my crying..........
    Got the day off, went to gig, but didn't enjoy it as I was afraid I'd be seen .

Sorry Bono:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Kimia wrote: »
    What's the worst lie you've ever told? Were you caught?

I don't recall ever lying.

It's not in my nature.

Z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Probably telling an ex I loved him and I didn't. Carried on pretending to myself and him for about 2 years even though I knew it was all crap. I dragged it out for 2 years (lived with him) and finally ended it and broke his heart. I was young but that was no excuse for my selfish behaviour.

Generally though, I'd be quite an honest person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I haven't touched a drop all night, Gard

*Drive's off home.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

When I was 17 I went to a debs with a girl who was not my girlfriend...I had a big love bite on my neck the next day.

I explained it by telling her that I had fallen on the bus home and scrapped my neck on one of the seats.

Don't know which was worse, the lie or the fact that she believed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Probably telling an ex I loved him and I didn't. Carried on pretending to myself and him for about 2 years even though I knew it was all crap. I dragged it out for 2 years (lived with him) and finally ended it and broke his heart. I was young but that was no excuse for my selfish behaviour.

Eve_Dublin will now be renamed Evil_Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Crown Court Prosecution Barrister:
    Can you tell the court why you had a loaded shotgun in the boot of your vehicle on the day in question?
    Me:
    I was going clay pigeon shooting.
    (Case was dismissed).
    Long runs the fox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I tell people who work for charities that I'm in a rush a good bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Zen65 wrote: »
    I don't recall ever lying.

It's not in my nature.

Z

I bet you're lying. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

I tell people who work for charities that I'm in a rush a good bit.

You evil bastard.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

I don't think people are all that bad...

:eek:

SPURIOUS LIES!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I worst lie I ever told was the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Got sent to the Deputy Headteacher in year 8 I think, for being rude to girls, talking about anal sex and stuff.

He rang my dad, and gave him some kind of vague idea of what I was saying. Came home, dad went to lamp me one, but mom screamed at him to let me explain. I made up the most ridiculous story about how a girl was being hard on the way she looked, I was comforting her and someone overheard and got the wrong end of the stick. I don't really think dad bought it but mom did. I haven't been caught... yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 razzyy

That im joking when i say something people dont take seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Ended up entering into a fake relationship with a girl in order to get this other one(who absolutely hated the one I was in the "relationship" with) to leave me alone as it had gotten to the stage where i wasn't allowed talk to other girls.

Couple of months later after a "break-up" was told by a good mate that, "unless you get with *yer wan* we really can't talk anymore, for her sake". So she repeatedly asked me was it real after we were together for a good 6 months, obviously saying no.

By the time I was caught ( after she asked the one i was "going out with") I was long gone, though she did get with my best friend in an attempt to even things out...still friends with him :D

I. Am. A. Scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Told parents tht the registered post they signed for me was concert tickets being delivered and not a Court Summons.

Got away with it, thank god it was just the post man an not a Garda tht delivered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I went to school in Perth in the 90's, told the teacher that my father was working in the zoo and thats why we moved from Ireland.
    I also said that we lived beside the zoo and i was always in feeding the lions.
    The teacher and the class took the bulls1te hook line and sinker, until the teacher asked my mother would it be possible if your husband could come in and talk to the pupils about his job and the animals at the zoo.......:p

To this day iam still proud of that one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Told my manager that I wasn't coming in for the week because my grandmother died, he didn't believe me so I told him it was the other one.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Told my manager that I wasn't coming in for the week because my grandmother died, he didn't believe me so I told him it was the other one.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Thanks for that, i just puked all over my laptop..

skipz wrote: »
    Thanks for that, i just puked all over my laptop..

Just as well I didn't go for a picture of his Range Rover..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

Was goin out with a girl fer a while, boring old bint and I wanted to get shot but didn't know what to say, so I dumped her by telling her I was gay and only went out with her in the first place because she looked male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    Was goin out with a girl fer a while, boring old bint and I wanted to get shot but didn't know what to say, so I dumped her by telling her I was gay and only went out with her in the first place because she looked male.

Bollocks

BX 19 wrote: »
    Bollocks
    Is that you Caroline?

If you're telling the truth then that story doesn't do you any favours tbh.

If you're telling the truth then that story doesn't do you any favours tbh.
    And you're from Mayo

And you're from Mayo

Is that supposed to be bad? :confused:

• Advertisement

And you're from Mayo

Your story is probably true..

Is that supposed to be bad? :confused:
    Its a ****hole. We should sell it to the North Koreans for nuclear weapons testing. The genetic mutation might make them smarter.

Its a ****hole. We should sell it to the North Koreans for nuclear weapons testing. The genetic mutation might make them smarter.

Where are you from Hoorsmelt?

Where are you from Hoorsmelt?

Mullingar

Mullingar

Ah Mullingar, Awe-Inspiring..

Ah Mullingar, Awe-Inspiring..

At least we've more people than sheep hereabouts

• Advertisement

At least we've more people than sheep hereabouts

When are the schools open again ffs..

When are the schools open again ffs..
    Go on, run away, but you'll never escape the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sky King wrote: »
    Put my head through the rear passenger window of a car which flipped over into a ditch while being 'driven' at extremely high speed by my 16YO mate when I was 15. Had to walk home though the fields in the middle of the night, arrived in the door shaking, shivering and covered in blood at 3AM to an entire family sitting up waiting for me.

Told my parents I had cut my head on the roof of a tractor (i didnt realised how bad i looked) - ould lad thought I had been in a bar brawl and didn;t believe my tractor yarn. He never found out the truth!

You're grounded.
    Pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i lied to boards.ie.

im not actually crazy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 EveDublin

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

That's kind of harsh. Were you just trying to spare his feelings at first by not telling him?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

i once told lies to a judge , unfortunatley i wasnt as convincing of a liar as the other guy which is what winning in court is all about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

EveDublin wrote: »
    That's kind of harsh. Were you just trying to spare his feelings at first by not telling him?

How about the troll posting under Eve Dublin's name? That's not a very nice thing to do, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Must be the jilted boyfriend back for his revenge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Working in Korea were sick days are a complete no no. Rang the boss that morning said my father fell off his bycle and had to be taking to hospital and that I was by my phone waiting on my mother to ring to tell me what happened etc etc.

Truth is I spent all night on AH reading the Feeky mcGee thread it was well worth it and of course my old man great recovery.

Probably not the worst but most recent memorable one.

Advertisement