Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving abroad

• 02-01-2012 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ritz2012

hi,

this is my first thread on here, so please bear with me!

it's a bit of a long story that i wont go into but basically I am thinking of renting out my house and moving abroad. each time i think about it, the thought of everything i need to sort out, the mortgage and bills etc puts me off. i keep thinking that i'll wait until i have x, y,or z sorted but there is always something else that needs to be paid and sorted out!

does anyone have any advice on where i would start getting good information on moving and finding a job in say the states? i have used google but the amount of different sites and pages out there all telling you something different is overwhelming!

any advice would much appreciated! there has got to more to life than scraping by month to month here!

looking forward to hearing your responses, :)

thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Depends what you work at and what you want out of life.

For career, I moved to London as it offered more opportunities in the field I wanted to work in than Australia or New Zealand. I didn't speak a European language so mainland Europe was sort of ruled out.

No visa issues with the UK compared to the States or Australia and 50 mins back home. Obvious problems are economy here is not as strong as it was a year ago (and it wasn't booming then), expensive rents, weather is crap as well.

Still opportunities though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Just a heads up that if you have a tracker mortgage you might not be allowed to rent out your house.

moved from politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It is very difficult to get a work visa to the USA unless you have excellent qualifications (at least a Masters) and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I have to agree......the days of going to the embassy and getting a visa to work in the states are long gone......with the unemployment rate so high over here, USCIS have gotten very strict on issuing visas. It's a bit of an urban legend that you need to be very highly qualified to get a work visa. You can get one as long as you're qualified for the job you get offered......problem is that your prospective employer needs to file the immigration paperwork and foot the bill which ranges into the thousands of dollars, that alone puts employers off unless you have something major to offer them.

And if you think that you can offer to pay the fees if you find an employer willing to do the paperwork, that is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rmck

hi guys,

Im looking to start a similar thread but im new to boards.... i was wondering if you could tell me how to create a thread? sorry for any inconvenience!

Thanks,
    Rachel :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

rmck wrote: »
    i was wondering if you could tell me how to create a thread? sorry for any inconvenience!

Take a look at this link.

Advertisement