Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial property lease to Bookmaker

Options
  • 02-01-2012 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi guys

I'm hopeing someone can help me out here.

I recently purchased a house on the main street of a seaside resort/town. I'm planning on turning the bottom of the house into a commercial premises and the top into a 2 bed appartment.

There is no bookies in the town and the nearest leading bookies is at least 8 miles away in another town.

I'm wondering if it is possible to approach a bookmaker such as Paddy Power, Boylesports or Ladbrokes offering them the unit to lease or is this just not the norm. Do I have to advertise the unit with my estate agent and hope that some day one of them happens to come along and give me the rent I'm asking.

Would appreciate some help here as to what to do.

Thanks
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is a great idea if it works. I would contact them directly and see if there is interest. That is, if you feel confident doing that. You might be as well engaging an agent though, if they have specific knowledge.

I have a little feeling that if there isn't a bookie in the town at this stage, there is a reason. Are you really confident you can get planning permission for a bookmaker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dermooo

It is a great idea if it works. I would contact them directly and see if there is interest. That is, if you feel confident doing that. You might be as well engaging an agent though, if they have specific knowledge.

I have a little feeling that if there isn't a bookie in the town at this stage, there is a reason. Are you really confident you can get planning permission for a bookmaker?

Hi and thanks for the input

Yes I do believe I will be able to get planning for a Bookies which is actually alot easier that say planning for a chipper or pub or nightclub or whatever. That should not be the issue.

I'm just wondering if it's the done thing to approach them [bookies] If anyone has every done so with success or whatever.

Anybody out there will real life experience in the issue????

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Phone up their head office and ask for their property department. However, I would at least talk to the planning department in the council and see if they are willing to grant planning permission (a) for the loss of residential property (b) the use as retail and (c) use as a bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Usually a bookmakers can only open in a building zoned for commercial use, and within that can only open in a building with a similar type zoning to a bank. So your chances of getting it are fairly slim I'd say. The bookies would have property managers or would have agents who do their deals, best to meet the planners first for a pre-planning application consultation then if they say it's possible gauge interest from the bookies

Advertisement