Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with cold engine

• 02-01-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

We recently bought a car from garage. It is Seat Alhambra 1.9 TDI 2006, 78k miles.
    On our first visit in garage we wrote a list of bugs and owner of the garage promised that everything will be done.
    When we came to pick the car up another problem appeared. We started engine and strong white smoke came from exhauster and at the same time we heard some strange noise, like a cough from motor.
    Car seller suggested to go for a test drive. When the engine was heated – there was not more noise and smoke.
    Everything happened when temperature was bellow 0 C- before Christmas. After 2 hours we decided to take a car to home but with 6 months warranty and with the agreement that we will be back if something like that happens again.
    Everything seemed to be OK, until today, when temperature dropped again and we decided to start/test the motor. There is not smoke anymore, but coughing is still there, just for a few minutes until engine is warm. Then it stopped. When temperature outside is higher - everything is normal.

My question is what do you think it should be please?
    I am going to bring this car back to the garage tomorrow but I would like to avoid to be deceived.

Maybe it is important to say that before we bought this car the timing belt was done.
    I am not sure if there is any connection because all of these problems disappeared once temperature of engine/environment increased.

Thank you very much,
    N.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Is it more difficult to start when cold? Wonder if it could be a faulty glow plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nadia111

No, it starts normally. We can not hear any lumpiness. Starts at first attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Cars don't cough ha ha ah no sorry.it could be a temp sensor the did give trouble in the vag groups.it could be a number of things but without checking it out it's very hard to say.id love to help you just need a bit more info

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

Id say probably either coolant temp sensor or heater plugs...id be more inclined to say heater plugs cause of the white smoke tho.

Thank you for your answer,

if some info would help = just ask me,
    I am not sure if there is anything else.

There is not any fault indication, we have got code reader.
    swhyte027 wrote: »
    Cars don't cough ha ha ah no sorry.it could be a temp sensor the did give trouble in the vag groups.it could be a number of things but without checking it out it's very hard to say.id love to help you just need a bit more info

• Advertisement

What fault code reader are you using...a decent one will show up if its heater plugs or a temp sensor.

It is RAC CAN OBD II.
    McP2011 wrote: »
    What fault code reader are you using...a decent one will show up if its heater plugs or a temp sensor.

Wee small with with 2 buttons?...it wont show up heater plugs iirc, should show up if it were a coolant temp sensor, id get a mechanic to check it if you arent to familiar with cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'll bet it is glow plugs on two and three. Mine is the same and it's common enough

Yes, it is a small one with 2 buttons.

We already contacted 2 mechanics, one said it could be injector
    and another one that maybe something happened when timing belt was done. Then we also found some info about glowplugs

They were not able to check that as it was not so cold weather.

...so it is hard to say, because there were not any codes also on mechanic's fault code reader

and we would like to focus on something which most likely could be the cause.

Thanks.

Wee small with with 2 buttons?...it wont show up heater plugs iirc, should show up if it were a coolant temp sensor, id get a mechanic to check it if you arent to familiar with cars.

• Advertisement

Id take it to a another mechanic lol...test the heater plugs yourself with a bit of wire.

Thanks

I will test it somehow.
    If there is any simple procedure how to test it - please let me know.

I found this : http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/GlowPlugs.shtml

Id take it to a another mechanic lol...test the heater plugs yourself with a bit of wire.

Take of the wee bar that connects all the heater plugs together, get a length of wire, hold one end on the positive pole of the battery and touch the other end of the heater plug, one by one, a good heater plug will spark a bad one wont.

Advertisement