Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21 months old able to open his car seat straps

Options
  • 02-01-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I really hope that some of you will be able to help me here :-)
    I have a 21 months old boy and he just figured out how to open his car seat straps and is able to escape from his car seat. He has done it for the very fisrt time today but few times and it scared me! What am I suppose to do??? He is a very lively little man... walking since he was 9 months old, running since he was 10 months old.. not a ''long term baby'' :-) He was also able to crawl out of his cotbed in lowest position when he was only 16 months and so on...
    We have a Britax isofix car seat the latest model and highest edition so I would have expect it to be ''baby or toddler prove''! It was not cheap so we thought we were getting the best we posibly could! I feel like writing to the manufacturor and giving out!
    Any suggestions welcome! Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My little one is the same, she'll keep at it until she get's some of all of it open, she 15 months. Our new car seat has an alarm that goes off if she opens it.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_51_10751_-1__125591_10001_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

when my son started doing this I pulled over immediately, got out and buckled him again and gave him a stern talking to in simple language about how it was dangerous and he mustn't do it....repeated until the message sunk in. at 21 months you are getting to the stage where you have the right to expect/hope for some level of obedience so if you can get him to comply you will be on the road to making life easier for yourself down the line. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

That was my guy from around 15 months till he was 4, a stiff talking too didnt help as he had a severe speech and language disorder that left 99% of kids his age better at receptive, expressive and phonological speech.

His now 5 and keeps his seatbelt fastened 99% of the time, if i hear it unclick i stop (when safe to do so) and tell him to fasten it, and he does.

I could of got special locks but my worry was that if i locked the seatbelt if we had a crash we might not be able to get him out in time.

There is no magic solution, the alarm thing might work for you. with my guy i could stop ever 2 seconds to strap my guy, before i even got into the drivers seat his seatbelt would be undone and then sometimes i drove 5 meters before he would unlock it.... At least now his at a level where i can use reason, but there is no reasoning with a child that does not understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Pull in beside a police man and ask him to explain. Works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think there's a strap you can get that stops them getting out of the main straps. From memory I think it's called a Houdini strap or similar, google will prob find it.
    Haven't used one so can't say if it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You can get velcro things to put over the button so they can't press it.

But in the meantime our fella did the same when he was around the same age as your one. We told him the police would come and take him away and everytime a police car passed we told him they were checking all the boys and girls had their belts on. It worked like a charm.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I reversed the straps/buckle so that everything was facing inward - towards their tummy. It meant I had to open with my thumb but for whatever reason it was impossible for my little guy to do - so that ended that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

sillysocks wrote: »
    I think there's a strap you can get that stops them getting out of the main straps. From memory I think it's called a Houdini strap or similar, google will prob find it.
    Haven't used one so can't say if it's good.

Thanks a mill for this one sillysocks! I have had a car seat when we were visiting in USA and all of them have this strap which is brilliant and unbeatable when your little one can get only their arms out. So to keep the arms in those straps his Houdini stop chest strap is the best thing i have seen so far. Anyhow when the little one is able to open the main bucket of the seat straps then its only good to keep the straps pulled together but wont keep the kid in the car seat if you know what i mean! But, thanks for this one its the only one which met health and safety within Europe! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Thanks a mill to all of you!!!! I am gonna try it all :-) The police man could work but only when he sees their car ha ha.. He is too smart to be fooled by my stories... unfortunately :-)
    Thanks again!x

PS: http://www.kiddisave.co.uk/store/product/5264/Britax-Safefix-Plus-TT-Hi-Line-Car-Seat-Cowmooflage-2011-9-Months-4-Years/ this is the one we have the seat is brilliant and could not recommend it more just the buckle is not child proof :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement