Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you freeze melon?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Every time I buy a melon it goes off before I get around to finishing the whole thing. Can it be cubed and frozen?

Comments

Yep. It sure can. Just pop it in a lunchbox or freezer bag :)

Actually it's nice eaten frozen too!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Likewise, many fruits and vegetables with a high water content do not freeze well, and the change in their texture is extremely noticeable on thawing. Examples include lettuce, celery, radishes, strawberries, melon, cucumber and cabbage, and these foods are not usually frozen at all.
    Never tried it myself though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont see why not, we freeze pineapple and all the soft fruits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yep. It sure can. Just pop it in a lunchbox or freezer bag :)

Actually it's nice eaten frozen too!

I didn't know that. I bought 5 melons on special offer before Christmas, 25cent each, a few days later, they were reduced to 19 cent but I refrained from buying more. We are about to consume our 5th melon. They were all delicious, juicy, ready-ripe, not one bummer in the lot. If I'd known I could freeze them I'd have bought 5 more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Thanks for the replies, have one here ready to freeze. No more gone-off melon in my house!

• Advertisement
Advertisement