Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rotterdam/holland.

Options
  • 02-01-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

i all im going back to work tommorow the 3rd of jan to rotterdam in holland and this might sound daft but im seriously short of socks lol.does any one know what shops in the city that i will get a few pairs.thanks for your help

oh if anyone could tell me about where id get steel toe work boots aswell whiole im in there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

i all im going back to work tommorow the 3rd of jan to rotterdam in holland and this might sound daft but im seriously short of socks lol.does any one know what shops in the city that i will get a few pairs.thanks for your help

oh if anyone could tell me about where id get steel toe work boots aswell whiole im in there

Off to Penneys with ya :)

http://www.shopgids.nl/winkel/3273/rotterdam/primark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Ha, no way, never knew there was a primark there. Deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 miniz

Hi guys just stumbled along your post was amazed to find theres a primark in rotterda. Actually going to Amsterdam next week for a look thinking of moving to Holland in Feb as things are so bad here got let go from www job. How do you guys find living in rotterdam would you recommend it would love to hear your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

ya well im here as the same reason u hope to come for.im half an hour south of the city but its so easy to get around with world class travel networks etc.lovely city,with loads to do.if ur bringinging a wife or gf she will love the shopping life.like any city has its ups and downs but if u keep with the ups i have no problem thinking that u wont like it as u will.try it.best of luck

miniz wrote: »
    Hi guys just stumbled along your post was amazed to find theres a primark in rotterda. Actually going to Amsterdam next week for a look thinking of moving to Holland in Feb as things are so bad here got let go from www job. How do you guys find living in rotterdam would you recommend it would love to hear your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I've got an offer of an internship in Amsterdam, and I'd really like to go there.

One thing that is putting me off internship is that it only pays 500 Euro a month.

Can anyone recommend me:
    1.) cheapest way of getting to Amsterdam
    2.) would it be possible to get a part-time job in Amsterdam? I don't speak Dutch.
    3.) Is it possible to find any apartment over there for less than 350 Euro a month, in a reasonably good area?

If anyone could answer this, it would be great! I'm sure it would benefit the OP as well.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

I've got an offer of an internship in Amsterdam, and I'd really like to go there.

One thing that is putting me off internship is that it only pays 500 Euro a month.

Can anyone recommend me:
    1.) cheapest way of getting to Amsterdam
    2.) would it be possible to get a part-time job in Amsterdam? I don't speak Dutch.
    3.) Is it possible to find any apartment over there for less than 350 Euro a month, in a reasonably good area?

If anyone could answer this, it would be great! I'm sure it would benefit the OP as well.

Thanks!

Yeah, there is a law over here about how much they can pay for internships, it's pretty crappy but I suppose if they had to pay better wages then the internships wouldn't happen.

Your two options are to fly into Schiphol, or Eindhoven. Schiphol is about 10 mins from the centre of Amsterdam, I would recommend it if you're carrying stuff because Eindhoven is fairly out the wrong direction and is a train/bus journey away from Amsterdam.

Not speaking Dutch probably isn't a problem with most part time jobs, especially in Amsterdam. Try Irish bars and tourist shops I guess but I really don't know how handy that would be. Maybe join the Amsterdam GAA club and some people there might have contacts?

350e a month is pretty low, rent over in the Netherlands is pretty steep. My recommendation is to check out http://www.kamernet.nl, maybe you could get lucky with a student moving out or going travelling?.

Here are some other accomodation websites:
    http://www.studentenkamers.nl/
    http://www.wvoorwonen.nl/index.php?lang=en
    https://www.housinganywhere.com/

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rick_ano

EUR 500 per month is not sufficient for a nice apartment in Amsterdam, let alone in the business area. So EUR 350 will be enough if you don't mind living with couple of room mates :)
    In addition, think of it whether it is realistic for your to add a part time job while you are working full time job as an intern.
    For the socks guy - go to the city center (beurs station) the most accessible shopping area . Then visit one of the department stores.

Advertisement