Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped or Scooter? Which is better?? And any suggestions?

• 02-01-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I want to buy either or....
    Not sure of advantages of one over the other....:confused:

Looking at a 50cc (125cc maybe)

Best Names, models, prices, shops to buy?? (secondhand suits)

Sick of 1 + hour commuting to a 15 minute away workplace. :mad:

Many, many, thanks in advance for responses :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wan tew

Have to say my preference is for a bike. It's got a bit more power which can be a big help to get you out of trouble and for passing and they have much better brakes and suspension for more safety and comfort.
    The scooter would probably be cheaper to buy and run, but not by much compared to say a virago 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eoin201

Cheers Wan Tew,
    I have not looked at the bike option (not sure why).
    Will start a google invasion in a few to get more information.:)
    (I agree with what you say, but as said, just never thought of a bike :confused:)

Any idea what licensing differences are??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wan tew

It's a long time since I did my test but I think you used to get the M licence with your car licence if you just ticked the box.
    There have been a few changes in recent years but if you have an A1 or an A you can still drive a scooter but if you just have an M licence you would have to retest to move up to a bigger bike.
    As for which bike, talk to a reputable local dealer. Get something secondhand, chances are you will learn all about parking on hills and stuff the hard way, like the rest of us. No point dropping a new one when you can drop an old one.
    Buy your first bike from a shop, you WILL need the comeback and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF

I would suggest going straight for a proper motorcycle. A scooter or moped is too slow even around the city. It's difficult enough to drive in traffic and concentrate on what's ahead of you without having to worry about some genius hitting you from behind because you are not able to keep up with traffic. My son applied for A1 learner permit and drives a Honda Varadero 125. He did an Insurance assessment and his Insurance has come down from 1100 euro to 450 euro in two years. He's just gone eighteen and has got his catagory A learner permit and hopefully after CBT will be able to do his. test. The Varadero is ideal for commuting around town and is cheap to run.

Thank you for the responses thus far. ;)

I will need to google / call a more places for information (now I have seen more pro's for a real bike)

Am 46 :o, with full driving licence for years.... (full ncb).
    Am just PO'ed with long commutes, and only travelling short distances.
    (wind and rain doesn't bother me, as I would sit fishing for hours at a time!)

I suppose I thought moped / scooter based on tests (needed or not needed to be done).

Any more insights would be truely welcome...

Mise le meas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

eoin201 wrote: »
    Thank you for the responses thus far. ;)

I will need to google / call a more places for information (now I have seen more pro's for a real bike)

Am 46 :o, with full driving licence for years.... (full ncb).
    Am just PO'ed with long commutes, and only travelling short distances.
    (wind and rain doesn't bother me, as I would sit fishing for hours at a time!)

I suppose I thought moped / scooter based on tests (needed or not needed to be done).

Any more insights would be truely welcome...

Mise le meas....

If you got your licence before 2005 then you can drive a moped on that. Not all scooters meet the moped criteria, <49cc and <45km/h, so be careful if you decide to use the M on you B licence.

What type of roads will you be commuting on? That will be the biggest factor for what to get.

Hi,
    and thank you for your response.

Have licence since 2000 /2001, so that's a good start I think.

I would be using a route such as Glasnevin Ave, Ballymun Road, Phibsborough, to town, or deviations of said route. Mainly urban routes and unfortunately, in possible peak times.
    I have no desire for speed, but as pointed out, I probably would need acceleration to get out of binds. (Thanks for that info by the way)

All your responses so far have me entertaining new possibilities, and areas I would not have thought of.

P;ease do not hestiate to throw in any ideas you may have, as all is new to me, and a great learning curve.

Thanks all,
    Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I had a peugeot speedfight 50cc when I was 16. Loved it.

Other than being 16 I'd never have gone for a moped though. Get a bike if you can afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Personally, I'd say go for the A license if you can. I'm not 100% sure but I think you'll have to do CBT with any of M, A1 or A, so you may as well get the A license, it pretty much allows you to drive any bike (once it meets the initial restrictions). A learner 'A' permit allows you to drive any motorcycle up to 33bhp (25kW) or that meets a power:weight ratio that I can't remember off the top of my head. Basically most bikes above ~250cc, and some below, need to be restricted. You need to have this for a minimum of 6 months before taking the test for a full license, which will then have the same power restriction for 2 years.

If you decide on an A license, you now have a massive range of bikes to choose from, and insurance cost and personal preference will likely be the determining factor. I personally drive a suzuki sv650, restricted, and it was my first bike, so don't be afraid of going down that road. Insurance cost was within €20 of a hornet 250, and they're quite a popular bike to start out on I think. 600cc+ sports bikes can also be restricted, but insurance premiums aren't as attractive, so might be best to wait until the NCB is up a bit. Car NCB won't transfer over.

Just a couple more things. Whatever you do decide, get good protective gear. Even if you're on a moped/scooter, rather than a cbr600, cars, trucks and the road don't get any softer.

Go for the A license, if you get an M or A1, you'll likely get bitten by the bug and want the A anyway! And if not, you haven't lost anything!

Actually I'm not sure about the CBT thing. I've heard reports of people not having to do it as they had a learner permit for a bike before, but maybe that was within 5 years or something. Maybe another poster might know better? If you don't need to do it, get some lessons/training anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....imho, there are two factors which will sway you:

1 - Licence. Whether you want to/can afford, to do anything above Class M.
    2 - Two-Wheel Lifestyle. Coming from a car, it will be more than a bit of a change, and there really is a bit of an education/adaptation involved.

On the licence front, you can get an M licence, straight away, and drive a 50. This would be attractive as you'd get into two-wheeling straightaway, and find out whether it really is for you. You could be on the road within days, and unless you're buying a new moped, cost's to get on the road would be reasonable. It would give you a very good idea of what general motorcycling would like, and the road experience would be good for you. There's no reason you can't start working on your A-licence whilst still moped-ing :) Once you have all your A-stuff in order, you can sell or trade-in your moped. Indeed, if you're dealing with a shop, you could make that part of the deal - that you would buy a 50 and then trade it, later.

If you go down the A-route from the start, the only thing is it will take longer to get on the road, and up-front costs will be higher. If that doesn't bother you, take this route.

All my 0.02 as they say. Me ? I'd want to be out of the car and onto the road a.s.a.p.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

While it appears that you have the M licence on your B. I'd advise you to get lessons before you go on the road. Riding a bike is totally different to driving a car, for a couple of hundred Euro you'll be much safer and confident on the road.

Another consideration is that mopeds get bullied by cars as they can't make the 50km limit and the riders end up in the gutter. On even a 125 you'll leave every car behind you.

Your better off getting an A permit as I doubt there are many legal mopeds in this country unless you buy new. For the cost of a new moped you'd have a decent 250 and IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

eoin201 wrote: »
    Looking at a 50cc (125cc maybe)

Best Names, models, prices, shops to buy?? (secondhand suits)

Sick of 1 + hour commuting to a 15 minute away workplace.

I would have to know your route and planned use for the scoot/bike. If you are going from Phibsboro to Ranelagh then any 50cc scoot will be fine and once you buy a reputable make (ie nothing Chinese) then you'll be fine. If you can afford a new or almost new scoot and decide to progress to an A licence then you can trade the scoot in a year or two.

If you have any dual carriageway, N-road or fast traffic sections then for safety you need to be able to travel at close to the speed that the traffic around you is moving. For this you may need a 125 or (restricted for a learner) bigger bike.

If you are a Lotto winner and are prepared to accept certain limitations then an electric scooter may meet your requirements. I know one guy who commutes across the city to St. James hospital on a Vektrix and finds it ideal. I may be sacrificed to the god of two-wheeled speed for even suggesting this...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well firstly don't do what too many do and that's ride in the gutter.
    You're just begging to get bullied and cars will squeeze past almost brushing you.
    You are driving so defensive driving is the way to go, take the lane and hold it. Unfortunatly scooters can get bullied but be confident and assertive and it solves a lot of issues

Now for the bike well go Jap. A lot of Chinese rubbish out there
    I had Peugeot Vivacity and it was a heap of crap, pure moneypit. And despite your urban route you want a bit more then 50cc

So a Honda Lead 100cc is a good scooter
    If you buy new the dealer will throw in the luggage box for free.
    I think they are stylish, as nice as you'll get for a scooter and you'll appreciate the extra power
    0b_honda_lead100cc.jpg

Or maybe get a first bike and a Honda Varadero is a fine choice.
    Again it looks good, great for around town and weekend spins. Not a lot of power so trips down the motorway can be done but are not ideal but it'll get ya started. Lots them around second hand
    honda_varadero_125_2001_15_lgw.jpg

It's a sad fact of life that if you own a bike in Dublin or anywhere realy the local scum will have a go at it. Just a matter of when

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    Almax chains are superb and good but very heavy so more if you have a place in work and a place at home.
    Expensive but will last you years. They are in the UK so be sure to ask about VAT, they didn't charge me

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/
    Dave Lyons will sort you for training. You can even train and pass your A test before you buy a bike, that's what I did
    Great trainer though his sarcastic humour is not for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

If all your commuting is through town with no Dual carriageways Moped/Scooter will be fine. I had a 50cc for years which I was covered on my full license- i got a 125cc a few years ago got the A1 provisional license.
    Personally would not go back to a 50 cc as too slow.
    A 125cc is enough for around town keeps you well ahead of traffic can do up to 90km which is more then enough and quick enough off mark to get you through gaps etc. I personally would not get anything bigger as reckon would kill myself (heavy wrist).

I have a Suzuki AN125 they are about €2k brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

try to get a 125 scoot or bike as i reckon the 50 would be a chore, especially up hills unless you weigh 9 stone!...i have a peugeot elysseo 100 2 stroke which is great, but a yamaha majesty 125 is good and reliable, and i have a honda innova 125 which i am selling as wife does'nt use it...pics:

All,
    thank you so much for all the EXCELLENT advice given.
    I have pretty much decided a few things from all the information obtained from you all:
    1: Lessons / CBT (before buying)
    2: A 50 cc will not make the cut for my safety / up-hill travel / comfort requirements.
    3: 90% more sure my choice will be a bike, rather than a moped / scooter as of this point. (Seems like the most sensible and cost effective way forward, based on future choice / upgrades / ... and the A licence will be a neccessity later on anyway.

I would like to thank all who supplied a total newbie so much information, and in a very friendly way.....
    Who knows, you might have not only saved me time researching this information, unneccessary expenditure later on, but life or limb.

Thank you,
    Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Not alll 50cc bikes are slow.. My Piaggio Zip will hold a steady 70 up hill with me on it... aged 43 & 15+ stone. Goes off the clock down hill (over 90).

It is very light and I can pick it up and park it in the smallest gap. On a scooter you can wear normal shoes (have you ever tried to walk in bike boots?) and keep you water proof suit, helmet and gloves under the seat.

I used to be a biker.. Speed Triple for 11 years, but was a fuss and bother to get togged up for a short ride.

si_guru wrote: »
    Not alll 50cc bikes are slow.. My Piaggio Zip will hold a steady 70 up hill with me on it... aged 43 & 15+ stone. Goes off the clock down hill (over 90).

The OP is only licensed to ride a Moped on his car licence. A moped is classified as being not greater than 49cc and CAN'T exceed 45km/h.

He'd need to do the A1 to ride that and there's no point in doing an A1 when they can get an A. Then they can have a proper bike if they want or ride a Scooter or even a super scoot

It is very light and I can pick it up and park it in the smallest gap. On a scooter you can wear normal shoes (have you ever tried to walk in bike boots?) and keep you water proof suit, helmet and gloves under the seat.

I used to be a biker.. Speed Triple for 11 years, but was a fuss and bother to get togged up for a short ride.

You don't wear biking boots for walking you wear them for falling off. I've walked around most Irish road racing circuits in boots with no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Well before this thread ends in a holy war between the two factions, I'd like to tally up my personal plusses and minusses. As most others I do recommend at least a 125cc as you'll be much better at keeping up (and getting ahead of) city traffic, with the odd bit of dual carriageway being no problem at all.

Motorbike:
    + Great choice on offer, good deals to be had
    + Very nice looking models around for all tastes
    + Easier maintenance if you are good with engines
    + More customisation options
    + Street cred
    - Less weather protection
    - Less storage options
    - Bigger learning curve due to geared transmission

Scooter:
    + Depending on model, good to excellent weather protection
    + Depending on model, good to excellent storage options (generally scooters have surprising amounts of storage under the seat)
    + No-brainer to ride: Twist & go, automatic transmission means no gears to worry about, and most scooters nowadays offer very good riding comfort
    + Convenience options even on smaller models, like 12V plug uinder seat, bag hooks,
    - Not as many models on the market
    - Most scooters can look a bit "samey" between different manufacturers, the differences are more in details. Also, unless you go for "fashion" scoots like Vespas or the new Lambretta, the customisation options are limited
    - small-wheel scooters (12" and less) generally don't offer a stable ride as a bigger wheel scooter or motorbike will
    - maintenance should be done in a garage, not as easy to service yourself at home
    - Some scooters can be rather pricey in the 125cc class

Everybody will make their own choices from these lists, but for me, the convenience factor swung it for scooters. I started scootering at the tender age of 40 and have not been disappointed. That was almost 10 years ago! I love the extra space under the seat and the fact that I just have to twist it and it revs. I had a Honda 150cc (recently damaged beyond repair) and it never had a problem starting, even after sitting unused for months.

For plain commuting, I would always pick a 125cc or 250cc scooter over a motorbike, however I love the look of some bikes to bits! So if I had the money, I'd buy myself a glitzy cruiser for sunny weekend trips down the country.... mmmmm!

So there, the choice is yours. Good riding!

pyx

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

On a scooter you can wear normal shoes (have you ever tried to walk in bike boots?) and keep you water proof suit, helmet and gloves under the seat.

Well you CAN wear normal shoes but you really shouldn't. I always wear boots on my scooter (not motorbike ones, but sturdy nonetheless) and that saved my ankles more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

pyxxel wrote: »
    Well you CAN wear normal shoes but you really shouldn't. I always wear boots on my scooter (not motorbike ones, but sturdy nonetheless) and that saved my ankles more than once.

I have always worn normal shoes etc agree on the the extra space for carrying things including helmet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Mike Regans

I agree with Mick. I ride a motorcycle and I think they are best. It seems my friends who have purchased mopeds and scooters only end up regretting it.
    MickF wrote: »
    I would suggest going straight for a proper motorcycle. A scooter or moped is too slow even around the city. It's difficult enough to drive in traffic and concentrate on what's ahead of you without having to worry about some genius hitting you from behind because you are not able to keep up with traffic. My son applied for A1 learner permit and drives a Honda Varadero 125. He did an Insurance assessment and his Insurance has come down from 1100 euro to 450 euro in two years. He's just gone eighteen and has got his catagory A learner permit and hopefully after CBT will be able to do his. test. The Varadero is ideal for commuting around town and is cheap to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I agree with Mick. I ride a motorcycle and I think they are best. It seems my friends who have purchased mopeds and scooters only end up regretting it.

Not really adding much to a six month old thread that has run its course.

Advertisement