Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LONE WOLFF

carey2010 wrote: »
    What plan would that be from where im standing i cant see any plan?

I agree with this statement 100%. We seem to be going backwards, the tenacity has gone out of our game big time. I'm really worried that we mightn't be able to buy a championship win this year unless something drastically changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

LONE WOLFF wrote: »
    I agree with this statement 100%. We seem to be going backwards, the tenacity has gone out of our game big time. I'm really worried that we mightn't be able to buy a championship win this year unless something drastically changes.

I could be picking you up wrong here but tbh i cnt even see us getting into the final of the munster or the AI let alone winning.The spark is gone from players theres absolutely no buzz around the team whatsoever....... I hope someone can put some truth to these rumors circulating at the moment!!

Sorry, what I meant is there's a good chance we mightn't win a championship match this year. An all Ireland final would be just fantasy I think.

Sorry, what I meant is there's a good chance we mightn't win a championship match this year. An all Ireland final would be just fantasy I think.

I hate to say it but i think your right about the fantasy which is a shame...Just to compare i watched the 2010 AI final today brought a tear to my eye watching it and abit of anger and resentment i have to admit was felt with regards the way the team is nw!!! Any word on these rumors that Tommy is gone or that fingers crossed Lar is back??

I don't think Lar will be back. A neighbour was talking to him a few weeks ago and what he said then was that he wasn't even going to play with sarsfields this year. He just seems very disillusioned with hurling.
    As for Tommy I haven't got a notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What plan would that be from where im standing i cant see any plan?

I don't know what the plan Ryan has. Just allow the Championship to roll around. Maher, Curran, Callinan, Kelly will all be back. The young lads are there too. Then when the motivation and determination is raised they'll compete harder.

Let's stay the course for a term. A new manager with a whole new plan, players, scheme, etc. could do more harm. I'm not a fan of Ryan but we have played well this year and there have some bad games. Reaction here is a little OTT. I want to see the game versus Limerick and then get critical.

This Lar talk is wrecking my head. He said he's gone. Accept it. If Corbett comes back, there's still problems there. There's no solid number 9, McGrath's form has fallen and I'm not sold on Woodlock despite him being tough. There's no settled number 5. The half forward line is in a little flux and there's some concern over Cummins.

Ideally over the next few weeks, Ryan figures out what to do, the players come back, get motivated and there's more of a system in place.

I don't think Lar will be back. A neighbour was talking to him a few weeks ago and what he said then was that he wasn't even going to play with sarsfields this year. He just seems very disillusioned with hurling.
    As for Tommy I haven't got a notion.

Brian Corcoran was pretty much the same way and regained his appetite in 2004. No disrespect to Lar but If his heart isnt in it at the moment then its probably better he isnt part of the Tipp panel as he is one that the younger players looking to for leadership.

If/when he does decide to return then he will be refreshed and hungry. That all said i hope the latest he returns is for the 2013 pre-season training. His break has to be a matter of months and not years. Lar is 30 and pace is his biggest asset. Pace declines that little bit extra for every year over the 30.

I think it would be a pure dream to see a fresh again Lar raring to go, feeding off Buggy O'Meara's aerial power.

In your opinion should Darran Gleeson be given an opportunity to prove his worth.. Is Seamus Hennessy close to a comeback could he maybe fill the number 9 jersey or has he made any progress injury wise? When the saint comes back maybe Donagh Maher could move to wing-back.... Out of John o Keefe Tom Stapleton and Shane Maher who would be more suited to the number 5 spot

In your opinion should Darran Gleeson be given an opportunity to prove his worth.. Is Seamus Hennessy close to a comeback could he maybe fill the number 9 jersey or has he made any progress injury wise? When the saint comes back maybe Donagh Maher could move to wing-back.... Out of John o Keefe Tom Stapleton and Shane Maher who would be more suited to the number 5 spot

I would have given Gleeson most of the league and a berth in the championship against Limerick because face it, we have to plan for life without Cummins sooner or later and when he does hang up his boots we may have a situation where we have goalkeepers with no real experience.

In terms of number 5, i would be more inclined toward Shane Maher but i seen Donagh hurl there in a challenge and he was mightily impressive. Definately an option there.

Hennessey is a big loss. His confidence was sky high in 2010 to the point where he even came on having had very very little championship experience if any previous, and scored a sublime point in the dying stages (granted Tipps tails were up) and that same year he was immense for the Tipp under 21s especially down in Cork.
    I dont know when he will be back but i had heard that he was believed to have been originally 'misdiagnosed'. By what medic i dont know but its totally unacceptable.

Carey 2010 here is a tweet by Tipperary Supporters club regarding Seamus Hennessey

Tipp fans far & wide delighted to hear that @FezFez121 was back in action this evening. #gaa #tippgaa #longtimecoming

• Advertisement

Carey 2010 here is a tweet by Tipperary Supporters club regarding Seamus Hennessey

Tipp fans far & wide delighted to hear that @FezFez121 was back in action this evening. #gaa #tippgaa #longtimecoming

So does this suggest he was back playing dis evening it would be interesting to hear how well he played...cheers for the tweet and hopefully for the good news :) if he is back it will be a great addition to either the midfield or half forward line!!!

Theres no doubt about it the players are capable of glory and bringing home Liam again...It will be interesting to see hw KK rate against Cork next Sunday and in the championship if going by the reports on the news today Richie Power will be a major loss and with question marks hanging over Shefflins fitness!!!

So does this suggest he was back playing dis evening it would be interesting to hear how well he played...cheers for the tweet and hopefully for the good news :) if he is back it will be a great addition to either the midfield or half forward line!!!

Theres no doubt about it the players are capable of glory and bringing home Liam again...It will be interesting to see hw KK rate against Cork next Sunday and in the championship if going by the reports on the news today Richie Power will be a major loss and with question marks hanging over Shefflins fitness!!!

Think he got an hour. He would be some boost if he can get the match fitness up around july time.

I'd say O' Keeffe or Shane Maher for the number five. Unless I'm missing something (study has the brain frazzled)

Corbett in one breath said he's disillusioned with hurling and done with it but this article suggests otherwise. He could return next year. I'd rather he make his mind up because it's getting ridiculous.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/lar-leaves-door-open-to-return-192322.html
    By Jackie Cahill
    MONDAY, APRIL 30, 2012
    Former Hurler of the Year Lar Corbett admitted his not "ruling anything out or in with regard to the future".

Corbett, 31, stunned the hurling world earlier this year by withdrawing from the Tipperary panel, citing business commitments as the reason for his decision.

Corbett admitted it’s been difficult spending time away from the game but has few regrets about his move.

He said: "I have had the best days of my life hurling for Tipperary and it has been strange not being in there with the lads these past couple of months. "I got so much out of hurling and I would like to think that I gave my best back to it.

"But I had no choice, for business reasons, but to take time away from the game and I am giving my all to the business end of my life.

"It’s difficult to balance participation in sport at a high level and work, more so nowadays because both are so much more competitive.

"You just have to work so hard at both to succeed. If I hadn’t done this (taken time out), I would not be here, looking forward to Friday night.

"It’s not that I don’t miss the hurling; I definitely do and I am not ruling anything out or in with regard to the future.

"But whatever happens with the hurling, there’s a great bunch of lads in there with Tipp.

"And with or without me, they will be giving it a massive effort this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

In relation to the examiner article put the following in a sentence:

ink paper refused never

From his perspective cant blame him for using the media to promote his business for free for as long as they stay taking it.
    In fairness Jackie Cahill's articles are usually better than promoting a concent in thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hennessy cam on for final last 20 mins, corner forward, scored one unreal sideline and looked very sharp in general.

And word on the ground here is that Lar will be back as early as this week, and that Nicky English had a big part to play in convincing him to return, I havent heard anything from any panel member and they seem to be as much in the dark as any of us but there definitly does seem to be something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

ri lads..how dya tink the they wil go dis yr? its been to long since we hav 1 silverware at this age and we really need a few players to start devolpoing and coming through soon or else der wil b a big gap in the conveyuer belt!

ri lads..how dya tink the they wil go dis yr? its been to long since we hav 1 silverware at this age and we really need a few players to start devolpoing and coming through soon or else der wil b a big gap in the conveyuer belt!

A few lads like Hamill, John McGrath and Bill Maher are still around from last years campaign whereas Jack Shelley from Mullinahone who is a dual player has come onto the panel.

Kerry tomorrow night. I dont know much about them to write them off tbh. Hard to really know with minors but we certainly have a few good players.

Tipperary (MHC v Kerry) - Paul Maher (Moyne-Templetuohy), Luke Mullaly (Mullinahone), Michael Breen (Ballina), Jack Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs), Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), Thomas Hamill (Killea), Tom Kirwan (Ballybacon Grange), Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash - captain), Sean Nally (Holycross Ballycahill), Dylan Fitzelle (Cashel King Cormacs), Jack Shelly (Mullinahone), Stephan Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields), Mark McCarthy (Toomevara), John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney), Kevin Slattery (Gortnahoe Glengoole).

I bolded the lads who i knew of that were on the panel last year

ya..anyone know wat ronan maher and mark mccarthy are lik?and am i write in saying that ronan is paudies brother? tink some of the bacs named arent up to scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

ya..anyone know wat ronan maher and mark mccarthy are lik?and am i write in saying that ronan is paudies brother? tink some of the bacs named arent up to scratch
    Mc Carthys handy enough. didnt think he was good enough to make county side though
    Harsh to say that some of the backs are not up to standard.
    Any chance you could get rid of the text speak and use full words. Much easier to read

• Advertisement

sorry..i was just giving my opinion and i think it is a place we could get caught out on as the championship progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Have to agree

also any one know why jimmy maher isnt in goal?? he started last year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Ronan is Padraic's brother, excellent player and not as big as the brother he is still only 16, a great prospect, he will most likely be CB next year.

Mark McCarthy is from Toom and has been very impressive in the first two rounds of this years senior championship, great speed and a good eye for a score, he's dad I think is originally a Templemeore man so he does'nt even have the stigma of been 'from' Toom :D

To say the backs are'nt up for it is very harsh IMO, that Half Back line is excellent, Hamill is a real one for the future as I say Maher is an excellent stickman and Jack Peters was the standout back for the Nenagh CBS team this year, while Jason Forde got all the headlines, Nenaghs sucess was built on their defense and Peters was the best of them all year. Dont know much about Mullally or Breen and Kirwan I would have thought would have been more accustomed to the forwards, time will tell as they say.

Far too much emphasis put on Minor anyway IMO, look at Kerry footballers as a perfect example, and look at Galway hurlers as the opposite side, no matter how good a minor team is the most you will get off it is 4/5, Minor hurling should serve as a development and I think that is exactly the approach Tipp have taken recently with the young skillfull hurler been givenn the nod over the bigger stronger player, look at this years team selection and Mark McCarthy getting the nod over say Stephen O'Brien (Ballina) is an example of this approach, one I whole heartedly agree with.

Ronan is Padraic's brother, excellent player and not as big as the brother he is still only 16, a great prospect, he will most likely be CB next year.

Mark McCarthy is from Toom and has been very impressive in the first two rounds of this years senior championship, great speed and a good eye for a score, he's dad I think is originally a Templemeore man so he does'nt even have the stigma of been 'from' Toom :D

To say the backs are'nt up for it is very harsh IMO, that Half Back line is excellent, Hamill is a real one for the future as I say Maher is an excellent stickman and Jack Peters was the standout back for the Nenagh CBS team this year, while Jason Forde got all the headlines, Nenaghs sucess was built on their defense and Peters was the best of them all year. Dont know much about Mullally or Breen and Kirwan I would have thought would have been more accustomed to the forwards, time will tell as they say.

Far too much emphasis put on Minor anyway IMO, look at Kerry footballers as a perfect example, and look at Galway hurlers as the opposite side, no matter how good a minor team is the most you will get off it is 4/5, Minor hurling should serve as a development and I think that is exactly the approach Tipp have taken recently with the young skillfull hurler been givenn the nod over the bigger stronger player, look at this years team selection and Mark McCarthy getting the nod over say Stephen O'Brien (Ballina) is an example of this approach, one I whole heartedly agree with.

+1

At minor level sure these players are only developing as humans let alone hurlers. Definately agree that maybe other counties like Kilkenny for example going for power over technique but Tipp have more of an eye for a good sticksman. Probably important though that win or lose the Minor championship that the players are looked after and that they dont get carried away if they win or get too downhearted if they lose.

Mullaly getting rave reviews around these parts as being a tenacious hard player which is good to hear. Is Colman Kennedy even on the panel? Cant remember him on it last year anyhow.

Good to have the few experienced heads like Bill Maher and Dylan Fitzelle on the side and im a big fan of Thomas Hamill who is as technically gifted as he is tall (and he is a big lad i can tell you).

Any word on the rumours about the Lar and Dunne fiasco??

Any word on the rumours about the Lar and Dunne fiasco??

Probably bull i reckon. Well whatever about Dunne leaving, Lar aint coming back. The fact he isnt even involved with Sarsfields is a perhaps a bigger indicator of his intentions.
    A player who stepped down in February isnt going to build back up his appetite for hurling over night.

I think it might be better if he returned ahead of the 2013 championship altogether, fresh and motivated. Any later than that though i would worry about.

A turkey shoot in Thurles at the moment, Tipp 6-16 to Kerry 10 points with 10 minutes to go. ouch!

Final score 6-21 to 11 points

• Advertisement

Ridiculous scoreline...looks like something from a Kilkenny football match. :pac:

Advertisement