Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

yes teriffic achievement:D however there is stil work to b done,had cork bein more clincal tonight their is a big chance we would have lost...

Cork drove a lot of wides but the small football counties always blow it when they meet the real kingpins of the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

but seriously they will be improvement needed if we are to retain our munster crown,kerry will be gunning for revenge for the embarassment they got in the first round in front of their home crowd and tonights preformance wouldnt be good enough to beat them

but seriously they will be improvement needed if we are to retain our munster crown,kerry will be gunning for revenge for the embarassment they got in the first round in front of their home crowd and tonights preformance wouldnt be good enough to beat them

i thought we looked slightly vulnerable at times tonight and it would seem Cork had shooting opportunities with only half the effort we were taking. Fahy gave Tipp an option when he came on as the game didnt suit Jack Shelley and i feel TJ Ryan a better player then Greg Henry. Dont forget we have Colm O'Riordan to come back also. We caught some great aerial ball tonight. Id agree there is an improvement to be made and Kerry may know a bit more about us for the next time. Still id be confident that management will air these problems out.

Tipp have brilliant team spirit in the camp and there just seems to be a never say die attitude about them. They were so pumped up for the game it was brilliant to watch. I do think Quinlivan last year was unique at full forward and him and Liam Mcgrath will be sorely missed however hopefully the seniors will be reaping the benefits in years to come.

All i can say is thank god Evans wont be around to turn it to rubble.

yes i tink fahey did give us that bit extra,i felt that philip quirke was by far our best player,however i also think the tatic of lobbing the ball into could be easily counter acted by teams jus puttin a larger player full back,but i must say he was excellant and his two points from acute angles in the second half were very good
    also i think the last bit about evans is a bit harsh imo

yes i tink fahey did give us that bit extra,i felt that philip quirke was by far our best player,however i also think the tatic of lobbing the ball into could be easily counter acted by teams jus puttin a larger player full back,but i must say he was excellant and his two points from acute angles in the second half were very good
    also i think the last bit about evans is a bit harsh imo

Evans initially done very very well with Tipp but by the end his ego had ran away with him so much that the relationship with the players had completely broken down. my friend was telling me on the way down to Cork tonight that he read Evans stating in an interview once that 'Tipp barely knew how to shoot before i arrived' or something along that line and i can remember him stating that u21 kerry manager Jack o'Shea was trying to poach him for a selectors role as he feared Tipp would be a future threat while Johnny was involved with us

• Advertisement

yes in his first few years he did well.but u agree his ego did get to big and he saw himself as almost like the messiah...i think the co board did a shrewd bit of business in appointing creedon as manager

yes in his first few years he did well.but u agree his ego did get to big and he saw himself as almost like the messiah...i think the co board did a shrewd bit of business in appointing creedon as manager

I like Creedon he seems a very shrewd level headed man. Going forward he is a great man to foster the up and coming talent. Great to see Kevin Mulryan involved with the minor set up also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patch21

I like Creedon he seems a very shrewd level headed man. Going forward he is a great man to foster the up and coming talent. Great to see Kevin Mulryan involved with the minor set up also

Have Tipp and any decent challenge matches in their build up to paying Kerry.
    Couldnt find any results on-line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Fierce Quiet here considering the weekend thats approaching. Have we anyone definitely ruled out this weekend?

I'd be a bit worried by the low key build up to the game, everyone seems to be presuming a Tipp victory is a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

OAOB wrote: »
    Fierce Quiet here considering the weekend thats approaching. Have we anyone definitely ruled out this weekend?

I'd be a bit worried by the low key build up to the game, everyone seems to be presuming a Tipp victory is a certainty

Adrian Ryan is the only one definitley out, Lar wont be used and I have a feeling they wont risk Bonner Maher as he is just back with hes club and if the league proved anything it was that Bonner is at this stage irreplaceable, personally the following is the team I would love to see but doubt it will happen.........

D Gleeson

D Maher P Curran M Cahill
    B Maher COM P Maher

N McGrath S McGrath

P Bourke S Callinan Bonner
    John O'Brien Buggy E Kelly*

*With Lar ultimately coming in here and either Kelly moves to FF or he is used as an impact sub.

But I have little doubt that Cummins will start, Tom Stapelton and Woodlock likewise and Gearoid Ryan.

• Advertisement

Adrian Ryan is the only one definitley out, Lar wont be used and I have a feeling they wont risk Bonner Maher as he is just back with hes club and if the league proved anything it was that Bonner is at this stage irreplaceable, personally the following is the team I would love to see but doubt it will happen.........

D Gleeson

B Maher COM P Maher

N McGrath S McGrath

*With Lar ultimately coming in here and either Kelly moves to FF or he is used as an impact sub.

But I have little doubt that Cummins will start, Tom Stapelton and Woodlock likewise and Gearoid Ryan.

Do you think Gleeson has played his way into the team or do you just think its just time to move on?

I think that'd be our strongest set of backs but we really need to find someone else to fill in at wing back and get Brendan Maher into centrefield.

The half backs have great potential but Callinan and Pa need more consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Lads wont be in Tipp until the weekend, whats the ticket situation like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LONE WOLFF

I think the low key build up is more to do with Tipp people's expectations being lowered a lot this year. I don't know anybody presuming a Tipp victory. I think Tipp won't get it all their own way against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Lads wont be in Tipp until the weekend, whats the ticket situation like ?
    Should be no bother getting them,I'd say they will hardly be 20 thousand in Thurles next Sunday as both games are on TV. 30 Euro for stand and 15 Euro for terrace as far as I know.

Do you think Gleeson has played his way into the team or do you just think its just time to move on?

I think that'd be our strongest set of backs but we really need to find someone else to fill in at wing back and get Brendan Maher into centrefield.

The half backs have great potential but Callinan and Pa need more consistency.

I think right at this moment in time Gleeson is the better option in every aspect, the most significant been the puckouts imo, but the major feck up I think Tipp have made with Cummins is not having a younger understudy in place, by the time Cummins leaves Gleeson will be too old himself, its a redicolous position we have got ourselves into, surely James Logue or Matthew Ryan should have been brought in by now.

A fully fit Paddy Saint would be ahead of Donagh Maher IMO but Paddy has had a horrible year with injuries and looks woefully out of form, I like the idea of Brendan Maher wing back because it adds a bit more balance to the half back line, COM and Paraic are excellent facing the ball and coming forward, but not the most mobile so I think someonme like Brendan would cpmpliment the other two.

Pa has been superb in the league IMO and the only reason some people have reservations is because of he's reputation, Pa was very very young when brought in to the senior setup and probably wasnt ready, I think he has really come of age over the last 18 months. Callinan also seems to have really matured, I think Droms success has given him a huge boost, he was superb recently for both Tipp and Drom, I think he could be a real dark horse, a joker in the pack if you like, its funny actually all the criticisms that are thrown at Pa and Seamie ( and tbf sometimes justifiably) were the very same ones that were thrown at Lar for years , so heres hoping it all works out the same!!

Team for Sunday,what do ye think?

Brendan Cummins
    Donagh Maher
    Paul Curran
    Michael Cahill
    Thomas Stapleton
    Conor O'Mahony
    Paraic Maher
    Brendan Maher
    James Woodlock
    Geroid Ryan
    Noel McGrath
    Pa Bourke
    Eoin Kelly
    Brian O'Meara
    John O'Brien

tippspur wrote: »

Brendan Cummins
    Donagh Maher
    Paul Curran
    Michael Cahill
    Thomas Stapleton
    Conor O'Mahony
    Paraic Maher
    Brendan Maher
    James Woodlock
    Geroid Ryan
    Noel McGrath
    Pa Bourke
    Eoin Kelly
    Brian O'Meara
    John O'Brien

I suppose in all fairness we have probably picked the 15 in the best form. I think we will see Shane McGrath and Shane Bourke at some stage though. Whats up with Paddy Saint at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Brendan Cummins
    Donagh Maher
    Paul Curran
    Michael Cahill
    Thomas Stapleton
    Conor O'Mahony
    Paraic Maher
    Brendan Maher
    James Woodlock
    Geroid Ryan
    Noel McGrath
    Pa Bourke
    Eoin Kelly
    Brian O'Meara
    John O'Brien
    Would be very surprised if that half-forward line start plucking balls from the air.Will both midfielder's finish the game...Then again, the oppostion are a bit of an unknown quantity so who knows and hope for the best.

D Gleeson

B Maher COM P Maher

N McGrath S McGrath

Brendan Cummins
    Donagh Maher
    Paul Curran
    Michael Cahill
    Thomas Stapleton
    Conor O'Mahony
    Paraic Maher
    Brendan Maher
    James Woodlock
    Geroid Ryan
    Noel McGrath
    Pa Bourke
    Eoin Kelly
    Brian O'Meara
    John O'Brien

No real suprises here I suppose and they have obviously taken the view that Bonner and Seamie are'nt ready or at least no point in risking them.

That FF line is probably the slowest in intercounty hurling, half forward line wont win any primary possesion in the air, we have two relative newcomers playing down the same side of the defence and a GK who is on the wain, that said I still think we will have too much for Limerick.

On the positives its good to see that Pa has been rewarded for he's recent form, great to see Brendan Maher back and we have a very very strong bench if they are needed.

Best of luck to the new players starting the game on Sunday,hope they all do well.I hope Buggy and Pa Burke do well and get a few scores........Hon the Premier..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Best of luck to the new players starting the game on Sunday,hope they all do well.I hope Buggy, Pa Burke, Michael Quinlivan and Alan Moloney do well and get a few scores........Hon the Premier..

Fixed your post, there are two games Sunday people seem to be forgetting.

Fixed your post, there are two games Sunday people seem to be forgetting.
    I do hope the footballers do well against Kerry but I haven't much interest in it tbh.

If tipp can avoid a hammering in the football they should be happy enough, it's been an awful season so far. Looking forward to watching the footballers as I don't go to many of there games.
    Hard to know what level limerick are at. I suspect that we should have too much for them especially as we are playing at home. The first 10 minutes will tell alot. Should be 2 cracking games given the current weather conditions. I expect the hurling to be played at a frantic pace. Fitness levels could be key.
    Up the Premier.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭oats 2

great comeback from tipp.limerick played very well today.took five subs to break them down.our forewards that started would have to be havng a good look at themselves today.bonner maher made massive difference i taught.shane mcgrath looks back to his top form.our six backs all got draged around a bit for a long time but th ball wasnt being retained in the foreward line very long so they were under serious pressure.hard day for hurling in fairness.
    lots of room for improvement but have to be optomistic at this stage

Poor performance from tipp today. Pretty clueless for 55 minutes. Relied on superb individual performances to rescue us. Think it was more a case of limerick running out of steam also which contributed to the win. Taught the referee gave us absolutely nothing either which is a yearly occurrence at this stage. Big decisions need to be made regarding lar, eoin Kelly, noel McGrath. Not sure if buggy is good enough at this level, slow, laboured and didn't seem up to championship pace.
    Lots to improve on for the next day, the cork game will define our season.

Lucky to win that game today,to be honest I was sure we had it lost with 10 mins left,even now I can hardly believe we won the game,the performance was way of the mark, in all fairness we only played well for the last few minutes of the game.Thank God Bonnar Maher was able to come on and change the game for us.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Not sure if buggy is good enough at this level, slow, laboured and didn't seem up to championship pace.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the lad here, i agree he looks slow and laboured but if he scores 1-2 in every game i'd be well happy with him. He also laid on the pass for Pa's goal.

The Positives:
    We won. I thought Conor O'Mahoney really led by example in the second half, caught and cleared a huge amount of ball when we trailed by 6. Shane McGrath and Brendan Maher seemed back to very close to their best which is a huge positive. Bonnar looked great and really showed exactly why he is so valuable to us. Shane Bourke did well for the 7/8 mins he was in but that might be as much about tired defenders.

The Negatives:
    Was hugely disappointed with the crispness of our striking, we were blocked down all over the field and just not up to the pace required for championship. Missed 3 very scoreable frees.
    One of the things i noticed at the game was how amateur looking our warm up is, it was about 5 mins of ball drills and then about 10mins of lads standing all over the field taking shots without any real structure, after 5mins of this all the sliotars were in the terrace and it was up to Shane Mcgrath to get more from a bag. Looking at it it was very slow and had no tempo to it

Fair play to Tipp for keeping at it but for 55 minutes we were second best. I just couldnt see us coming out of that one. The subs especially Bonnar and Callinan made a massive difference. O'Mahony was incredible. He hates the thoughts of losing to Limerick being on the border in Newport id say.

Footballers played very well but bit of better decision making and more belief we could have won that game today. Peter Creedon deserves great credit for the manner in which he has come in and revitalised the team. the full back line which were always suspect under Evans were immense and didn't put a foot wrong.

Our under 21 hurlers beat KK under 21s in a challenge in Gortnahoe tonight 3-17 to 2-17. Seanie Curran got 5 points (all from play) whereas the huge Cian Hogan came on and was an absolute handful for the Cats. Denis Maher picked up an injury so we would be hoping he would be fit for Wednesday week for Cork. Other that played well were Eanna Murray with a brace of goals, there was a chap, Ryan from Clonakenny who batted down every ball against Walter Walsh. Bubbles had a decent game. Liam Mcgrath i expect a bit more from though it could be a case of burnout with his dual commitments. Very entertaining game.

Was anyone at the junior/intermediate double header in Nenagh last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

It has been said here a good bit but after yesterday I think its all the more evident that we really have gone backwards Standing in the terrace in 09 and 10 you could have spent the whole match simply watching the movement of the forwards. They created space with ease.

Watching the game yesterday I didnt see any of this. We struggled to win primary possession and Limerick picked up most of the loose ball also because they were working so much harder. The reason we won was simply down to the fact that Limerick had no more to give after 55mins (like the clare match, I guess Ciaran Carey had a point) and we had better subs to bring on.

I dont mind the poor striking, the missed frees or all the block downs. These are things that can only be improved upon from playing games at championship intensity and for the first day out it wasnt too bad. My main issue is around the fact that the structure and style of play we had a couple of years ago just isnt there anymore. It was this that had teams struggling to cope with our forwards and why were able to score so many goals.

This is why Lar flourished in the Sheedy era. He is a super fit hurler who thrives in open space. Its why Jackie set up camp on his back in the All Ireland last year and it will interesting to see how he goes when he gets back to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

deejer wrote: »
    It has been said here a good bit but after yesterday I think its all the more evident that we really have gone backwards Standing in the terrace in 09 and 10 you could have spent the whole match simply watching the movement of the forwards. They created space with ease.

Watching the game yesterday I didnt see any of this. We struggled to win primary possession and Limerick picked up most of the loose ball also because they were working so much harder. The reason we won was simply down to the fact that Limerick had no more to give after 55mins (like the clare match, I guess Ciaran Carey had a point) and we had better subs to bring on.

I dont mind the poor striking, the missed frees or all the block downs. These are things that can only be improved upon from playing games at championship intensity and for the first day out it wasnt too bad. My main issue is around the fact that the structure and style of play we had a couple of years ago just isnt there anymore. It was this that had teams struggling to cope with our forwards and why were able to score so many goals.

This is why Lar flourished in the Sheedy era. He is a super fit hurler who thrives in open space. Its why Jackie set up camp on his back in the All Ireland last year and it will interesting to see how he goes when he gets back to speed.
    This style of hurling was all thanks to one of the greatest hurling coaches around, Mr Eamon O' Shea.

What we found out yesterday was that
    *Cummins puckouts are still questionable. Still number 1 in my opinion but he has to improve big time as the year goes on.
    *We still haven't replaced Declan Fanning. Tom Stapleton struggled big time.
    *Shane Mcgrath is showing glimpses of coming back to the pre 2010 form (although his league form didn't show this).
    *Bonnar is badly needed and is now probably our most influential forward at present.
    *Eoin Kelly, unfortunately will no longer be starting games.
    *Our half forward line can't win clean possession (I sound like it's 2002 to 2008 again).
    *We've the strongest panel in the country.

Advertisement