Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

First of all we must acknowledge Limerick for bringing the game to Tipp, they deserve great credit for their enormous spirit of determination.

*Eoin Kelly, unfortunately will no longer be starting games.

Agree...............he should only be used now as a last resort, let the young guys take it on now. Eoin should be well down the subs list we have some forwards with great potential..............A big Thanks to Eoin for all he has done over so many years.................he will make a great manager at some future stage.

The footballers deserve more support, they play with great heart. I think some of our hurlers could learn a lot from looking at the video of the football game.

Wishing the best of luck to the Limerick hurlers and the Tipp footballers in the qualifiers.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Credit Limerick indeed they were excellent but generally the sight of the blue and gold brings out the best in them with the exception of 2009.

I will give Tipp their due credit for such a spirited comeback though i must say the most worrying factor has been the lack of intensity in our game since last years All Ireland.

Granted we did drive a good few bad wides but we lacked bite and desire and its something that has been lost on this new management. Something that is absolutely vital in championship hurling if you are to stop Kilkenny. Another criticism i have is the managements insistence on the direct ball. Grand to use it as plan A but when its not working you have to change. That all said Tipp looked jittery and had little confidence on the ball on a few occasions.

On looders point regarding the inability of our half fwd line in winning possession, yes that is true but to a considerable degree Brendan Cummins puckouts with snow on them coming down have been fairly contributory to this i feel and not just yesterday but over the years.

Is there any logic in having Eoin Kelly doing too much mullocking during the winter months? i think a training program should be developed to suit the older players. There is really no need for Lar or Eoin's participation in the league if you look at Shefflin or Tony Browne they havent featured at all in the league the last few years and are flying when they come back. I mean Tipp are putting in savage training since the beginning of the year no question but at times you wouldnt think it yesterday or else you would think they were burnt out. Conor O'Mahony for example will train very light up until the championship and Cian O'Neill realised that each player is different in this respect.

I also notice that there is players going on runs and no one running with him to give him an option and i also notice Xenophile that the footballers suffer from a similar problem.

On Tom Stapleton, my father made the point that Tom done well on the opposite flank and might have been hurling against his better hurling hand perhaps to keep Padraic Maher in his traditional position at number 7. Its a fair point i think.

I do feel management was spot on to drop Shane Mcgrath and if anything this has helped him refocus. I agree with looder that our panel is generally very strong and in fairness we've found out an awful lot about it this year so far with all the injuries we've suffered.

There is alot of positives and negatives to be taken from that win. Mentally it can only be good to recover when it seemed all was lost and had we had the benefit of a turkey shoot yesterday it may not have helped too much going down to leeside where we have only won once (2008) since 1928. Instead we had to battle against a very talented and fearless Limerick side. Our players are coming back from injury and our goal threat is far more prevalent with Bonnar around.

The one big negative is that we are not matching the intensity of 2010. We are either doing too much training or the wrong type of training completely. We might get away with going 7 points behind Limerick but we wont get away with it against Kilkenny as they have already proved.

Xenophile wrote: »

The footballers deserve more support, they play with great heart. I think some of our hurlers could learn a lot from looking at the video of the football game.

I seen the footballers play Cavan earlier on in the year and its amazing to think the same team had Kerry on the ropes yesterday. Peter Creedon deserves huge credit the way he has turned things around in such short time. The last few years i had seen Andrew Morrissey, Ciaran McDonald and Paddy Codd struggle in games under Evans but yesterday they were impregnable and immense. They played with absolutely no fear of the Kerry fwds whatsoever. Peter Acheson was another guy whose confidence was at his ankles earlier in the year but yesterday he was terrific. Alan Maloney couldn't even buy a game off Evans (was he even on the panel?) and i rate him very highly. He showed great vision against Donegal at under 21 level a few years ago and proved then that he had potential and yesterday he gave Kerry alot of problems.

Tipp need just a bit of confidence and belief and i think Creedon seems a smart man who will iron out the little problems in their play but obviously needs time. Offaly for example were a new force to hurling in the late 70s/early 80s and their manager at the time who was a Kilkenny man, said he consistently had to drum the message through that they were good enough to beat Kilkenny and go on and win the all ireland which they subsequently did in 1981 and 1985

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I went to this game -- my first Tipperary game -- and I was in great seats to see that wonderful Tipp attack in the second half that pushed us ahead. Just my few bits and pieces about the game.

I'm not sure if Cummins is on the decline, I hope not, but his puckouts are becoming poor and have been on a downward trend. At least one went out of bounds which is relatively unheard of by Cummins standards. A lot went into Limerick hands, which to be fair, have a strong group of defenders in Tom Condon and Donal O' Grady. Even Wayne McNamara who's had horrors can be good, along with Gavin O' Mahoney but I feel some balls could have been better. Some of Cummins problems do come down to the the half-forward line unable to win the necessary ball - which is a continuous problem.

How good was Conor O' Mahoney? Bloody awesome stuff. He fought damn hard and was very brave throughout. Michael Cahill, Paul Curran and Paudi Maher get many of the plaudits but I feel Conor is underrated in that group. He was a huge factor in the resurgent second half after the 50 minute mark. Paudie Maher, I'm still making up my mind, but he was good I guess. Made mistakes but was important in the defense. Tom Stapleton hasn't done a huge amount to lock down the position but his opening point was lovely. But as a whole, it's a great unit and their coverage and supply of balls spurned on the Tipp forward attack.

Woodlock had an awful time. Limerick's James Ryan was running all over him from what I could make out. Shane McGrath's deployment was superb. I thought he was very good and hopefully that form is back. I don't think Woodlock's the answer. I much prefer a McGrath and Brendan Maher combo. Speaking of the latter, his two misses were almost unheard of. Brendan will be severely disappointed at those points but his work rate is excellent.

Pa Bourke with another strong game and scored well. His goal was very nice but the teamwork was a joy to watch. O' Meara's timed pass was lovely, little behind Bourke but it worked. Noel McGrath with another influential game, scored 0-3 and set up a few more. Dropped back to midfield, a display of verstitlity. O' Meara has some engine on him, he never stops going. His points were very nice and the goal was pure opportunistic but we'll take it! It's a great return in comparison to the last time he faced Limerick, a dour 0-0 game and subbed. Disappointing about Eoin Kelly. I wouldn't drop him as he has returned before so another game before we condemn him.

One of the key reasons we won the game was the bench. Ryan made an excellent tactical decision in the subs that were brought on. Every one of them scored and contributed. Callanan, Maher, McGrath, Shane Bourke and a defender I'm forgetting. This decision helped reverse the game and surely it's the strongest bench in the country?

Bonner Maher. This man can do no wrong in my opinion. Absolutely sensational player and a treat to watch. Came back from an injury and threw himself into the foray when most other players would be hesitant over fears of re-injury. He never stops running, tries his hardest and sparked that Tipperary attack. He may not score a lot but his work rate and assists are the hidden keys to victory. This picture sums up everything I feel about him. Four Limerick defenders dragging out of him and Quaid in front isn't enough, he'll keep going. A huge asset in the team!

2b646a62-e930-4e51-917a-2a7fe3cef322_640x360.jpg

Anyway, I'm rambling on. Salient points: the wide number needs to be reigned in. There was too many of them. Limerick are a good side and are a test. Those who said Tipp were bad are suffering from tunnel syndrome in believing that Tipp and KK are the only teams around. Also, simply: need to get out of the breaks faster. If Kilkenny got that start, they'd put away goals and points like no tomorrow. Get starting quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

looder wrote: »
    This style of hurling was all thanks to one of the greatest hurling coaches around, Mr Eamon O' Shea. .

Totally agree, we badly need him or someone similar at the moment....we have the players, we just dont know how best to use them !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

One of the key reasons we won the game was the bench. Ryan made an excellent tactical decision in the subs that were brought on. Every one of them scored and contributed. Callanan, Maher, McGrath, Shane Bourke and a defender I'm forgetting

Conor O'Brien

From Tipperary GAA site.
    The Tipperary under 21 hurling team to play Cork in the Bórd Gáis Energy Munster Under 21 Hurling quarter-final on Wednesday June 6 at Páirc Ui Chaoimh at 7.30pm is:

1. Paul Ryan (Upperchurch Drombane)

2. Stephen Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

3. Andrew Ryan (Toomevara)

4. Pa Ryan (Clonakenny)

5. Willie Ryan (Clonakenny)

6. Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

7. Justin Cahill (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

8. Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)

9. Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh)

10. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule) Captain

11. Sean Curran (Mullinahone)

12. Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

13. Eanna Murray (Templederry Kenyons)

14. David Collins (Drom and Inch)

15. Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

Seen this team play a few challenges so far. Cork wont be easy but i tell ya this Tipp team play with a fair bit of intensity. Denis Maher in particular is one for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Where is David Forde? or is he still a minor.

tippspur wrote: »
    Where is David Forde? or is he still a minor.

Jason Forde is on the panel. He is over 18 alright but is doing the leaving in Nenagh CBS at the mo who he captained to the All Ireland colleges win this year. Some talent in the making. He was centre back for the minors last year and while he was ok there he was absolutely wasted there.

A few on PV reckoned that if Sweetnam was ready to join the Cork panel then Forde could have done likewise in Tipp but i dont agree for the reason that Sweetnam is physically big for his age but Forde needs more time and its unfair pressure on the lad and also young Sweetnam (huge talent that he is) probably feeling the bit of pressure too.

Its a bright future though with that calibre of talent coming through and management at all levels have a duty to ensure its not wasted. One thing for sure, grass roots hurling is very strong in Tipperary. I do wish the county board would change the structure of the senior club championships in light of this development.

I seen the scores in the Cork championship from last weekend and i was hugely impressed with the closeness of the games and Douglas 8 point win over Na Piarsaigh was considered an upset. Link here

Jason Forde is on the panel. He is over 18 alright but is doing the leaving in Nenagh CBS at the mo who he captained to the All Ireland colleges win this year. Some talent in the making. He was centre back for the minors last year and while he was ok there he was absolutely wasted there.

A few on PV reckoned that if Sweetnam was ready to join the Cork panel then Forde could have done likewise in Tipp but i dont agree for the reason that Sweetnam is physically big for his age but Forde needs more time and its unfair pressure on the lad and also young Sweetnam (huge talent that he is) probably feeling the bit of pressure too.

Its a bright future though with that calibre of talent coming through and management at all levels have a duty to ensure its not wasted. One thing for sure, grass roots hurling is very strong in Tipperary. I do wish the county board would change the structure of the senior club championships in light of this development.

I seen the scores in the Cork championship from last weekend and i was hugely impressed with the closeness of the games and Douglas 8 point win over Na Piarsaigh was considered an upset. Link here
    Great stuff gunner,I got his first name wrong but I seen him play last year and thought he was a great bit of stuff,the U/21 throws up some great games every year especially against Cork,hope our lads do well on Wednesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Anyone know will this game be televised this evening? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

OAOB wrote: »
    Anyone know will this game be televised this evening? Cheers

I believe its on TG4. They always good for the U21 games

Pouring down in Cork. Pitch is sodden. Nevertheless, good luck to the men!

some win. certainly didnt look likely, especially with 6mins to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Bubbles was the star,almost worth a run with the older lads now perhaps.

Just like the seniors a few weeks ago I thought our U/21 team were on there way out of the championship only to stage a great come back in the final stages of the game,unreal stuff, 4 pts down with only a few mins left and then score 5 to win by a point. Absolutely delighted with the result.the main reason we kept in touch with Cork tonight was thanks to Bubbles O Dwyer, MOTM without a doubt.

Wow i cannot believe we won that game. Sign of a good team. Go to Cork, not play at our best, pitch was dreadful, and still win. Amazing stuff.

Bubbles is a legend. He should definitely be on the Senior panel. Tough as nails, skillful as could be and a brilliant leader.

But Seanie Curran for me was the best hurler for us on the field. Its speaks volumes too when a great leader and hurler like Denis Maher can have an off day and we can still win.

That all said, the Munster u21 champions (and possible AI favourites) Limerick away next and that will be an even stiffer test with the vast experience they have at both senior and u21 level

Laochra Gael just featured Declan Browne in tonight's episode. A true gent and truly one of the best footballers never to win an All Ireland. Even a provincial would have been his just desserts for his humongous efforts for Tipperary football over the 10 years. One of the most skilful footballers to have graced the game he could kick with both feet and had pace to burn. Even Seamus Moynihan found it hard to contain him

They showed the 'goal' for Kerry that hit the stanchion and came back out to their forward in 1999 and in my opinion it was one of the worst officiating decisions i have ever witnessed in GAA history. Its up there with what happened to Louth two year ago or Wexford last year, even our hurlers in 2009. The umpire was looking right at it hitting the outside of the goal. He should hang his head in shame if he was watching Laochra Gael tonight.

Catch it on tg4 player. Well worth a look.

Saw it,very good program I have to say.some man to kick points with left or right leg,class footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

and still causes trouble!! A pleasure to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Four different counties are in the Munster Football Finals on July 8th. Would be interested to know when this happened last!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Any folks heading to Cork on Sunday?

I'll be there please God.:cool:

I have exams on the following thursday and Friday so should really be at home studying instead of taking the day off for the match. But I missed the win in 2008 when I was in Australia and well the less said about 2010 the better. Always great to play cork in cork and certainly not easy to beat em down there. Should be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I'll live up on the north side of cork city, I've my tipp flag out the window always get some ribbing this time of the year but always in good humour
    Hopefully it will be a good dry day down the paric, see ye all there
    HON TIPP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I'll live up on the north side of cork city, I've my tipp flag out the window always get some ribbing this time of the year but always in good humour!!
    Hopefully it will be a good dry day down the paric, see ye all there
    HON TIPP

deejer wrote: »
    I have exams on the following thursday and Friday so should really be at home studying instead of taking the day off for the match. But I missed the win in 2008 when I was in Australia and well the less said about 2010 the better. Always great to play cork in cork and certainly not easy to beat em down there. Should be a great game.

Tipperary hurling > exams!

A few hours won't kill you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ger2111

cork lad here, wondering if theres any truth in the stories. Lads fighting, drinking, slapping wives arses , breaking teeth etc etc.
    I would have thought that if tipp start against cork the way they finished against limerick they would be hard to beat, but if there is some truth in these stories I'm hearing then maybe our lads will win it easy.....
    It has been a good few years since the Cork boys have been so quiet...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ger2111 wrote: »
    cork lad here, wondering if theres any truth in the stories. Lads fighting, drinking, slapping wives arses , breaking teeth etc etc.
    I would have thought that if tipp start against cork the way they finished against limerick they would be hard to beat, but if there is some truth in these stories I'm hearing then maybe our lads will win it easy.....
    It has been a good few years since the Cork boys have been so quiet...

Yea the rumors are true there has been alot of infighting in the Tipp camp this year. But I fail to see how that will make it an easy win for Cork?

Every camp goes through these bad spells, some you wouldn't even hear of or would know about by how how good they play together.

I don't see this an easy game for either team by any stretch of the imagination. It's never easy getting a result against Cork in Cork but that's what we'll be aiming to do come Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ger2111

looking forward to it in any case.
    Think the Munster title is all either side can hope for this year what ever the result.
    Hope its a dry day!

Advertisement