Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

Maher was simply immense. Posters around here know my fascination with the man but now he's getting the attention he deserves. He got a great few write ups and there's a buzz about him now. He's likely the best player we have at the moment. Just wish he'd go for points or goals more but he's doing a serious job at the moment and an all-star awaits him even if the season ended today.

It was a terrific game and my heart wasn't well for some of it! Noel McGrath had a good game and looked effortless. Correct decision for Ryan in pushing him forward. Great to see McGrath back to his best and he was storming all over the field. I thought Paudi Maher got slaughtered in the first few minutes but got better as the game went on. Michael Cahill had a tough time while Stapleton played well. O' Mahony with a solid game. Corbett didn't do much but his assist was lovely and his presence alone allowed other Tipp players to move around.

Still a little concerned about bombing it down the field when it would have been sensible to pass it around.

RE: Munster Final, it's silly having it down in Cork when Thurles is ideal.

+1. Bigger Capacity, more centralised for everyone and most importantly SAFER.

The fact that Health and Safety are allowing such big games to take place down there just goes to show how useless they actually are at a time when they really need to do their job.

PUC is grand for low key games but not for a Munster senior final or even a Cork v Tipp (hurling) /Kerry (football) match at any stage of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

The fact that Health and Safety are allowing such big games to take place down there just goes to show how useless they actually are at a time when they really need to do their job.

PUC is grand for low key games but not for a Munster senior final or even a Cork v Tipp (hurling) /Kerry (football) match at any stage of the championship

even things as simple as toillet facilities are a disgrace...saw a lad getting thrown out for p**sing on the wall in the tunnel last year but to be fair there wasnt much more options available..id say the bowels of the colluseum were more spacious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

It's simple. Ideal here means geographically ideal. Having a final two counties over for the Waterford lads is senseless. They're OK with having it in Tipperary and the fact they're practically giving the Tipp team homefield advantage is telling you that. Tipperary obviously want it in Thurles.

I've never been to Pairc (tried to go to the match but transport was an awful prospect) but it sounds like a death trap (which is also putting me off going to the MF). I've been to Thurles and it was fine, zero complaints.

There must be some serious GAA politics going on behind the scene that we haven't an idea about. I'd like to know what their reasons are behind the 8-2 decision against Semple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Jesus i hadnt actually realised that. I thought it was a rarity for Cork v Tipp to be played anywhere other then PuC/Athletic Grounds or Thurles. I suppose the best way of asking the question is how many times did tipp beat them down there and out of how many appearances since 1928?

To the best of my knowledge thats only the second time we've beaten them there in 90 years :eek:.

Don't know the stats for games in PUC but championship results are now tied at 37 wins each and a fair few draws (number escapes me).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Jesus i hadnt actually realised that. I thought it was a rarity for Cork v Tipp to be played anywhere other then PuC/Athletic Grounds or Thurles. I suppose the best way of asking the question is how many times did tipp beat them down there and out of how many appearances since 1928?
    looks like Cork won in the Cork Athletic Grounds in 1929,then PUC in 1976 was the next Cork venue meeting,with Cork winning there by 1pt and a few times since,sometimes the media make headlines that are a bit more dramatic than they turn out to be when checked.Either way i enjoyed 2008 there a lot especially cos of having never beaten them down there while i was watching.Forwards starting to click now, i think if we can keep 6 on the field from now on and the backs tighten up it could be a good year:)

• Advertisement

To the best of my knowledge thats only the second time we've beaten them there in 90 years :eek:.

Don't know the stats for games in PUC but championship results are now tied at 37 wins each and a fair few draws (number escapes me).
    In PUC i think it is ;
    Lost 76,79,(both by 1pt),82,85,92,05,2010
    Won 2008,2012
    Drew 1991

So W2 D1 L7 in all meetings in Cork since 1976 from what i can find,previous clash was 1929 in Cork which they lost and won there in 1926:)

hawkwing wrote: »
    In PUC i think it is ;
    Lost 76,79,(both by 1pt),82,85,92,05,2010
    Won 2008,2012
    Drew 1991

So W2 D1 L7 in all meetings in Cork since 1976 from what i can find,previous clash was 1929 in Cork which they lost and won there in 1926:)
    looks like Cork won in the Cork Athletic Grounds in 1929,then PUC in 1976 was the next Cork venue meeting,with Cork winning there by 1pt and a few times since,sometimes the media make headlines that are a bit more dramatic than they turn out to be when checked.Either way i enjoyed 2008 there a lot especially cos of having never beaten them down there while i was watching.Forwards starting to click now, i think if we can keep 6 on the field from now on and the backs tighten up it could be a good year:)

Wow cheers for those stats. The media dont half talk rubbish at times. You would think they would just rephrase it. I got the impression that Cork and Tipp always had a home and away arrangement but it would seem that only came back when PUC was done up for the 1976 championship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We're in another Munster final !!

Munster minor hurling semi final result.

Tipperary 2-25 Waterford 0-12.

A 19 point victory for our young hurlers in Thurles tonight,totally blew away the opposition in the second half,some great scores taken and great to watch.Well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

The minors had a good win last. They looked like a good team. Their passing, movement, teamwork and score taking was good. Hopefully some of them can progress onto future U21s and seniors stars (fingers and toes crossed). The only thing is I would question is the quality of the Waterford team??? Anyway that's for another day. The players and mentors deserve great credit.The other semi-final is on this Friday night in Ennis where Clare take on Limerick.

Masterclass from the minors last night. At half time i thought to myself 'we are in a game here' but in the opening stages of the second half they totally put the game to bed. John McGrath's touch is unbelievable. Thomas Hamill and Dylan Fitzelle were excellent also. We have qualified for 4 Munster finals (SHC, IHC, MHC, MFC) and we can make it 5 next month if our u21 hurlers can pull off a win vs Limerick.

Up the Premier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Clare beat Limerick after extra-time and go through to meet Tipperary in the Munster Minor Hurling Final. It finished Clare 1-19 Limerick 2-14. The final v Clare is fixed for Sunday July 15 at 2pm in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Hopefully they can get the day of to a winning start. Happy Days. :o
    PS Best of luck to our senior footballers tomorrow who take on Offaly in Semple Stadium at 7pm.

Goodstuff by the footballers tonight, 1-12 to 0-10 win,was on them at 12/5 -4points :)

Goodstuff by the footballers tonight, 1-12 to 0-10 win,was on them at 12/5 -4points :)

Great win but Offaly are a truly awful side. If Tipp were more clinical they could have won by more. Still though 5 points is comprehensible enough and hopefully they can get a good run in the qualifiers.

Anyone know has Matt O'Donnell emigrated? He isnt even in goal for Killenaule these times.

Clare beat Limerick after extra-time and go through to meet Tipperary in the Munster Minor Hurling Final. It finished Clare 1-19 Limerick 2-14. The final v Clare is fixed for Sunday July 15 at 2pm in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Hopefully they can get the day of to a winning start. Happy Days. :o
    PS Best of luck to our senior footballers tomorrow who take on Offaly in Semple Stadium at 7pm.

Great to have another double header on the 15th of July.

The Minor footballers are in the final in Limerick tomorrow week, July 8th
    The Intermediates are in the final in Nenagh 25th July
    Minor/Senior Hurling double as mentioned on the 15 July
    The Under 21 hurlers play Limerick on July 18th in the Gaelic Grounds

5 possible provincial finals (4 achieved already) and we could well get a good run in the Senior football.

Could be a fantastic summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's always good to beat the Biffos,well done to the Tipp footballers.

Potential round 2 opponents for Tipperary

Wexford
    Kildare
    Kerry
    Limerick
    Tyrone
    Monaghan
    Galway
    Leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Wexford
    Kildare
    Kerry
    Limerick
    Tyrone
    Monaghan
    Galway
    Leitrim
    Leitrim are the only team there I'd be confident of beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Wexford
    Kildare
    Kerry
    Limerick
    Tyrone
    Monaghan
    Galway
    Leitrim
    Leitrim are the only team there I'd be confident of beating.
    Wexford in the next round!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Wexford in the next round!

Not a great draw, Wexford were unlucky against Dublin yesterday, going to be a very tough game for the Premier!

• Advertisement

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Not a great draw, Wexford were unlucky against Dublin yesterday, going to be a very tough game for the Premier!

We have a good record the last few years against Wexford and hopefully having home advantage might draw a crowd. I'm quietly confident we'll progress.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We have a good record the last few years against Wexford and hopefully having home advantage might draw a crowd. I'm quietly confident we'll progress.

I love your passion I really do, but I don't think our footballers have progressed enough this year compared to some of the other counties out there. Can sadly see Wexford winning this :(

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I love your passion I really do, but I don't think our footballers have progressed enough this year compared to some of the other counties out there. Can sadly see Wexford winning this :(

Fair point. I agree Peter Creedon and his management team has basically had to pull our season from the ashes and has done a remarkable job in such little time given the mess he inherited from his predecessor. He has put the pride back in the jersey and players that didn't look comfortable under the last 'system' are flying it now.

I did feel against Kerry we were defensively very organised. We have some good attacking players in Maloney, Austin, Acheson and that unbelievable talent Quinlivan who'll cause that Wexford full back all sorts of bother. Our weakness is we are inclined to overcook our attacks on occasions and alot of the scores that we concede are against the run of play. Wexford have some good attacking players that could punish us like Banville and Ben Brosnan. They will be licking their wounds after yesterday. However they wont get any free meal against us and i think we could take them. They have as much to fear from us as we do from them and crucially we have home advantage so I really hope people can turn out and support Tipp on the 14th because this team has a great deal of potential. Alot of these guys have won u21 Munster medals and have 2 promotions under their belt.

Keep the faith lockie. Up the Premier!

I do agree though that the absence of the Grogan brothers and Sean Carey is a huge blow to Tipperary's football ambitions for 2012

Fair point. I agree Peter Creedon and his management team has basically had to pull our season from the ashes and has done a remarkable job in such little time given the mess he inherited from his predecessor. He has put the pride back in the jersey and players that didn't look comfortable under the last 'system' are flying it now.

I did feel against Kerry we were defensively very organised. We have some good attacking players in Maloney, Austin, Acheson and that unbelievable talent Quinlivan who'll cause that Wexford full back all sorts of bother. Our weakness is we are inclined to overcook our attacks on occasions and alot of the scores that we concede are against the run of play. Wexford have some good attacking players that could punish us like Banville and Ben Brosnan. They will be licking their wounds after yesterday. However they wont get any free meal against us and i think we could take them. They have as much to fear from us as we do from them and crucially we have home advantage so I really hope people can turn out and support Tipp on the 14th because this team has a great deal of potential. Alot of these guys have won u21 Munster medals and have 2 promotions under their belt.

Keep the faith lockie. Up the Premier!

Excellent post with some excellent points well made.

Can only agree with everything you said there. It's great to see pride back in the footballers, we've come along way from the teams we have 10,15 years ago and our underage teams are showing we have some great talent coming up through the ranks.

So who knows in a few years again how strong we might grow as a football county team.

#keepingthefaith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

What about the minors on Sunday, will they have it as easy as the first round, Kerry most come on since then.......what ye think?

What about the minors on Sunday, will they have it as easy as the first round, Kerry most come on since then.......what ye think?

They cant have come on that much and Tipp have huge experience at minor level the last 2 years. Kerry will fear Tipp alot more than we fear Kerry. You couldnt fully write Kerry off and minors can throw up alot of surprises but apparently we 'toyed' with them down in Tralee.

I think Cork were probably a better team and its very wrong they can lose one game and find themselves knocked out and yet Kerry could lose two and could possibly still go on and win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Shur let Wexford play away, they manage to run up a disturbing amount of wides in both sports. They're their own worst enemy sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Would give our seniors a decent chance against Wexford, really depends oh how Wexford re-act mentally to their almighty fcukup at the weekend, could be a great time to be playing them, We will need to improve on last weekend though, Offally were truely woefull.

Not sure if Thurles is really musch of an advantage either and think it will suit Wexford more than us, my biggest fear would be in Midfield where I think we are distinctly average and Wexford look very good and strong, we may get over run here.

With regard to the minor, yes Kerry will have improved, but there is no reason why Tipp wont have improved also. Colm O'Riordan and Ian Fahey are back from injuries which will be a huge boost, although John McGrath is a injury concern having damaged he's shoulder playing with Loughmore last weekend. Kerry will throw everything at us and will not want to be beaten for a third successive time by Tipp, but I think our boys have enough quality to see the job through.

• Advertisement

Would give our seniors a decent chance against Wexford, really depends oh how Wexford re-act mentally to their almighty fcukup at the weekend, could be a great time to be playing them, We will need to improve on last weekend though, Offally were truely woefull.

Not sure if Thurles is really musch of an advantage either and think it will suit Wexford more than us, my biggest fear would be in Midfield where I think we are distinctly average and Wexford look very good and strong, we may get over run here.

With regard to the minor, yes Kerry will have improved, but there is no reason why Tipp wont have improved also. Colm O'Riordan and Ian Fahey are back from injuries which will be a huge boost, although John McGrath is a injury concern having damaged he's shoulder playing with Loughmore last weekend. Kerry will throw everything at us and will not want to be beaten for a third successive time by Tipp, but I think our boys have enough quality to see the job through.

Id agree from the point of view that Wexford will probably outnumber our support 10 to 1 but as Philip Austin said its hard to get up for a game when you've spent 3 or 4 hours on a bus of a Saturday afternoon so from that point of view maybe we have the advantage.

As for the minors, young Jack Shelley seemed fortunate to stay on the field the other night. Had he gotten a straight red would he have been eligible for Sunday or does suspensions follow across codes?

Advertisement