Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Great value on saturday in thurles. 3 senior games for 25 quid ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

City end €15 in Supervalu €20 on the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

5 down at half time. Can the comeback kings do it again??

Paddy on Tipp FM
    'Oh its a goal'.....
    Walty
    'No Paddy it came back off the post' :rolleyes:
    Tipp got 2 "goals" in the first half according to Paddy.Then when they got the first real goal--he said "and this time it is a goal":o Couldn't get the score right towards the end and impossible to know how much time was left.Very poor commentary i thought and one of his worst,but he is excited in fairness.How many shots must have spin on them over the years as every Tipp wide always seem to spin away at the last minute:confused: Why also is it no matter what local radio you listen to you always hear that the referee is the worst ever and onesided against that team,:confused:
    And number 1 "on goal" is another one of his???Visions of Cummins standing on the crossbar :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No minor highlights on Sunday game yet funnily enough Spillane was in the studio. Hardly a case of protecting a red faced Pat from having to talk about 'our poor footballing standard' here in Tipp (like he said during the Roscommon game last year) beating his fellow county men for the 3rd time consecutively?

AFAIK they are actually not allowed to show them, as TG4 have first rights for the provincial minor games and they show the highlights on Monday nights GAA programme.

AFAIK they are actually not allowed to show them, as TG4 have first rights for the provincial minor games and they show the highlights on Monday nights GAA programme.

Seriously? didnt know that now. must be a relatively new right secured by tg4. Apologies Pat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

hawkwing wrote: »
    Tipp got 2 "goals" in the first half according to Paddy.Then when they got the first real goal--he said "and this time it is a goal":o Couldn't get the score right towards the end and impossible to know how much time was left.Very poor commentary i thought and one of his worst,but he is excited in fairness.How many shots must have spin on them over the years as every Tipp wide always seem to spin away at the last minute:confused: Why also is it no matter what local radio you listen to you always hear that the referee is the worst ever and onesided against that team,:confused:
    And number 1 "on goal" is another one of his???Visions of Cummins standing on the crossbar :confused:

It sounds better than saying "in goals" though

hawkwing wrote: »

Ah he is terrific entertainment though. Some more of his gems

• Bonnar Maher is causing absolute 'haddock'
    • A high one.......a hooky one.
    • The ball is Hop... Hop... hopping
    • This will leave a sour taste in their minds
    • Eoin Kelly down injured there. (Response from Walty - No Paddy he's just tying his shoe laces')
    • Time please Walty (35 minutes left) 1 minute later -Time Walty
    • Drooooopppping it in now......Dropping it...high....and dropping it.....wide
    • Excellent with a capital 'C'
    • Here's Peter Acheson on.....He'll run run run.

An Paddy on Tipp FM 'Overheard in Dublin' style book would sell well in these parts. Im sure there is loads of quotes you could put in it.

Walty contributed with a one right at the end of the minor football match. 'i don't want to criticise the ref but he was terrible' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Team News

The Tipperary senior hurling team to play Waterford in the Munster SH championship final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Sunday shows 1 change from the team which started the semi-final against Limerick. Lar Corbett will start in place of the injured Gearoid Ryan. The team is:

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

2. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)

3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone) Captain

4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)

5. Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)

6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)

7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

8. Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh)

9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

10. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)

11. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)

12. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

13. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

14. John O’Brien (Toomevara)

15. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

T

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Team News

The Tipperary senior hurling team to play Waterford in the Munster SH championship final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Sunday shows 1 change from the team which started the semi-final against Limerick. Lar Corbett will start in place of the injured Gearoid Ryan. The team is:

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

2. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)

3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone) Captain

4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)

5. Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)

6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)

7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

8. Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh)

9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

10. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)

11. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)

12. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

13. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

14. John O’Brien (Toomevara)

15. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

Interesting to see Lar back starting but will he line out at wing forward? I know Gar is injured and his form has been flaky enough but is Lar ready fitness wise? Will he have a free role or will he swap with Buggy?

Conor O'Brien struggled a bit at corner back last day but got into it ironically when we went down to 14. I dunno though i think its a pity Paddy Saint isnt back. More natural in the corner.

Other than that i suppose its a team we probably expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It's a shame Paddy Stapleton isn't back all right. We looked a bit dodgy at full back against Cork.

I was hoping to see Donagh Maher but I hope we get a big game from our captain and Cahill. Also I'd prefer to see Shane Bourke in for JOB. But maybe Declan Ryan thinks he's better suited to his off the bench role.

• Advertisement

It's a shame Paddy Stapleton isn't back all right. We looked a bit dodgy at full back against Cork.

I was hoping to see Donagh Maher but I hope we get a big game from our captain and Cahill. Also I'd prefer to see Shane Bourke in for JOB. But maybe Declan Ryan thinks he's better suited to his off the bench role.

Ah Shane Bourke's time will come but tbh id never object to seeing JOB starting. Not a great goalscorer but a great ball winner and a great point taker. Shane is young yet.

Hopefully he will start every game of the league next year and finally cement his place on the starting line up for 2013. What a super sub though. I don't necessarily agree with naming a starting line up 6 days before a final tbh but there you go and i suppose Mick Ryan and Waterford will have had a fair idea of who we will name in any case.

Worth noting that Mick Ryan trained Mullinahone 2 or 3 year ago so may well know Paul Curran inside out but perhaps we could have had the same argument about Davy Fitz with Tipp's LIT players last year and previous years.

Waterford dont mark as tight as alot of teams but we all feared for Galways back line prior to last Sunday. However i fancy us to get plenty of ball into our 6 forwards and convert it into scores. Tipp by 7

Footballers to win by 1 Saturday night too and minors to win but god knows by what. A point would do nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I don't necessarily agree with naming a starting line up 6 days before a final tbh but there you go and i suppose Mick Ryan and Waterford will have had a fair idea of who we will name in any case.

Its a long held tradition in Tipp that they always name the team for a munster Final on the Teusday, and thursday for every other game, no idea where this developed from or what the thinking was.

Re. Shane Bourke, definitely the right option is to keep him in reserve, he is exactly the type of player the opposition will hate to see coming in with 15/20 mins remaining with he's pace, and besides who do you leave off?? Some people have been suggesting JOB, quite simply thats lunacy, JOB is along with Bonner the only forward we have capable of consistently winning primary possesion, which of course is vital.

Its a long held tradition in Tipp that they always name the team for a munster Final on the Tuesday, and Thursday for every other game, no idea where this developed from or what the thinking was.

Re. Shane Bourke, definitely the right option is to keep him in reserve, he is exactly the type of player the opposition will hate to see coming in with 15/20 mins remaining with he's pace, and besides who do you leave off?? Some people have been suggesting JOB, quite simply thats lunacy, JOB is along with Bonner the only forward we have capable of consistently winning primary possesion, which of course is vital.

I can remember Nicky English doing it on occasions but i dont think Sheedy ever named it on Tuesday or as far as i can recall. My own opinion is that players should be given as much incentive to push for places as possible and that should mean that the team isnt picked until the conclusion of the last training session before the game. Said that training is always light the Thursday before a final though the closer to a final the side is named perhaps then players dont go too much into a comfort zone.

While we are on the subject of possession id like to know how much time our forwards apart from Bonnar and JOB got on the ball last Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Some people have been suggesting JOB, quite simply thats lunacy, JOB is along with Bonner the only forward we have capable of consistently winning primary possesion, which of course is vital.
    While we are on the subject of possession id like to know how much time our forwards apart from Bonnar and JOB got on the ball last Sept.

For the life of me, I can't see how JOB is put into the same bracket as Bonner. These two are such a contrast in every aspect of the game in my book!
    JOB has nice hurling hands, but is only a ball winner on the loose ball and never takes on the backs 'Bonner-style'. 10 JOB's wouldn't replace 1 Bonner to 'lift' the Tipp team and supporters. JOB is closer to Noel McGrath -nice movement 'off the ball'.:mad:

sideboard wrote: »
    For the life of me, I can't see how JOB is put into the same bracket as Bonner. These two are such a contrast in every aspect of the game in my book!
    JOB has nice hurling hands, but is only a ball winner on the loose ball and never takes on the backs 'Bonner-style'. 10 JOB's wouldn't replace 1 Bonner to 'lift' the Tipp team and supporters. JOB is closer to Noel McGrath -nice movement 'off the ball'.:mad:

Very Very few players in the game are like Bonnar. Even Kilkenny arguably dont have a Bonnar type but there is no denying that the only two forwards that functioned in any way possible in last years final were Bonnar and JOB.

JOB is a fantastic man to catch a ball and lay off. He was instrumental when we beat Galway in 2010 when he beat the Galway man in the dying minutes to a puckout to put us one point behind. He got a tally of 5 from play the next day. No one is saying his style is like Bonnar but no one can deny he had an excellent game along with Bonnar in Sept when a few of the star forwards didnt turn up on the day. He deserves a great deal of respect in my opinion. Don't forget the injuries he sustained serious injuries in a car crash back in 2006 which cost him the opportunity to captain Tipperary at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

Anybody know are tipperary in blackrock end this sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

rob55 wrote: »
    Anybody know are tipperary in blackrock end this sunday?
    City end apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

City end apparently.

taught tipp were always blackrock when not playing cork, check tickets.ie ya tipp city end

City end apparently.

Yeah we were in the City end last year too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Yeah we were in the City end last year too
    At least the Sun won't be in our eyes,;)

tippspur wrote: »
    At least the Sun won't be in our eyes,;)

No but bring your brolly ;)

Well lads, any news on the minors for Sunday? Can't seem to find the named team!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Well lads, any news on the minors for Sunday? Can't seem to find the named team!!
    Unchanged team from the semi
    1. Paul Maher (Moyne-Templetuohy)
    2. Jack Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    3. Michael Breen (Ballina)
    4. Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5. Dylan Fitzelle (Cashel King Cormacs)
    6. Thomas Hamill (Killea)
    7. Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    8. Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    9. Tadhg Gallagher (Kildangan)
    10. Stephen Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11. Jack Shelly (Mullinahone)
    12. Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
    13. Mark McCarthy (Toomevara)
    14. John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    15. Sean Ryan (Sean Treacys)

ormond lad wrote: »
    Unchanged team from the semi
    1. Paul Maher (Moyne-Templetuohy)
    2. Jack Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    3. Michael Breen (Ballina)
    4. Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5. Dylan Fitzelle (Cashel King Cormacs)
    6. Thomas Hamill (Killea)
    7. Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    8. Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    9. Tadhg Gallagher (Kildangan)
    10. Stephen Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11. Jack Shelly (Mullinahone)
    12. Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
    13. Mark McCarthy (Toomevara)
    14. John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    15. Sean Ryan (Sean Treacys)

Few speed merchants in that forward line. Mark McCarthy from the Toomevara Greyhounds can run like one.Tadgh Gallagher and Sean Ryan aint half bad either. Love watching our minor teams these times with so many dual players and winners on board. You'd imagine the likes of Dylan Fitzelle and Bill Maher are growing with confidence every time they don the Blue and Gold.

Good crop and at least we get another go if we dont win. Clare have great kids on the horizon too id say.

Good to see John Mc Grath is fit for battle.best of luck to them,I hope Bill Maher will have the cup back in Kilsheelan Sunday night.

1 point win for the footballers. Well done lads!

An unexpected win in the football today is great,well done to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Just wanna wish The Tipperary team and management the best of luck tomorrow against the Deise...the management team have really stepped up to the plate and heres hoping tomorrow brings us our 40th munster final win il be there cheering them on as usual the excitement is kicking in already HON THE PREMIER!!!

• Advertisement

Well lads, ready for road hope to see ye all there, be in early to shout on the minors hopefully another two Munster titles on the way back to the home of hurling!!! HON TIPP

Advertisement