Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Title number 40 in the bag :)

Didn't think we were at our best today and had Waterford taken some of their chances it may have been a different story. We conceded alot of chances which is something we will have to look at. Also our decision making in attack was poor at times. The quality of ball coming from our half back line was disappointing for large parts of the game.

John O'Brien probably just man of the match for me. 1.3 from play was impressive and also set up some scores.
    Looks like Kilkenny in the Semi Final, massive test but might have a better chance of beating them in a semi final as opposed to the final. We will have to improve but we have plenty of time to do so.
    For now we can just celebrate title number 40 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

We always seem a bit ahead of Waterford today, taught the ref didn't do us any favours which seems to be happening In alot of games. Lar could have had 3 to 4 points from play today but was always looking to pass the ball on!!!
    Taught Micky Cahill played out of he's skin once he got a hold on mullane, jon o brien had a great first half, always looking for the goal chance when easier to slot over the bar, anyways 4th title in five years hopefully next day will be drier and fair play to the minors great win..... Jesus the weather was shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Can't believe the analyst's saying 7pts was about right,i thought we were damn lucky to come through at all,just as well the 21 was saved late on too..Attendance: 26,438---lowest Munster Final crowd excl 2010 replay since 1983, which i was actually at and 4th lowest in last 62 years...Backdoor + Munster Championship don't mix anymore and Thurles would not have meant a massive diffrence nor the weather either.

Job done by Tipp. Some great performances on display. Foxy O'Brien, Cahill, Brendan Maher for starters. Lar was excellent in the second half but JOB was my man of the match. To be fair to Waterford Moran played excellent also. Conditions were poor down in the pairc today but thankfully we came through with the result. Im optimistic for the semi no matter who we get at this stage and i wouldnt write Kilkenny's quarter final opponents yet especially if its Limerick who have unreal forwards. Galway exposed alot of weaknesses with Kilkenny last Sunday and they are not in the quarter final for nothing.

665639.jpg
    665741.jpg
    662504.jpg

3 IN A WEEK!!!!

• Advertisement

hawkwing wrote: »
    Can't believe the analyst's saying 7pts was about right,i thought we were damn lucky to come through at all,just as well the 21 was saved late on too..Attendance: 26,438---lowest Munster Final crowd excl 2010 replay since 1983, which i was actually at and 4th lowest in last 62 years...Backdoor + Munster Championship don't mix anymore and Thurles would not have meant a massive diffrence nor the weather either.

PUC is a pure dump though. Designed terribly and the outside resembles a builders yard. The only thing that should be taken to it is a wrecking ball and not a munster final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Football is opening up bigtime,nothing to be too afraid of here i think,
    Tipp/Antrim v Donegal/Down :)

fI'd really fancy our chances against Antrim but of course the venue will play an important part. Has this been decided yet?

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    fI'd really fancy our chances against Antrim but of course the venue will play an important part. Has this been decided yet?

is it not home and away for this too? if it is neutral id imagine either Mullingar or Tullamore will be chosen, perhaps even Parnell Park

One thing i noticed about Tipp is that they start off slow and gradually build up momentum and finish very strong. Now if we could keep it water tight thats well and good but if a great team like Kilkenny or that Galway team who dismantled Kilkenny gets a lead on us just as KK did last year we'll face an uphill battle.

Under the Sheedy years we more or less played in peaks and troughs. We'd start off strongly (with the exception of Waterford game in 2008 which in fairness to them they didnt leave us start) but then we'd wane a bit and when the score got close we'd push on.

Prior to the Sheedy years we were spent after 55/60 minutes. We hadnt got the legs or bulk to compete with the Corks, the Kilkennys or the Waterfords who were very hard to beat at the time under Justin McCarthy

• Advertisement

is it not home and away for this too? if it is neutral id imagine either Mullingar or Tullamore will be chosen, perhaps even Parnell Park
    Looks like the game will be in thurles.

Looks like the game will be in thurles.

The draw has been kind to us this year i have to say. If Tipp could somehow get to the last 8 it would be a massive achievement for Tipperary football at senior level and its not too unrealistic for it to happen i think.

Under 21's against Limerick down at the Gaelic Grounds on Wednesday night. Any one heading? Its on TG4. This is a seriously good Limerick team who will take some stopping. If we are lucky enough we then have to play the winners of Clare and Waterford who also have some good hurlers in their ranks.

Clare v Waterford is on TG4 on Thursday night. The Munster intermediate hurling final between Tipp and Clare will take place in Nenagh the following Wednesday on the 25th July

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

PUC is a pure dump though. Designed terribly and the outside resembles a builders yard. The only thing that should be taken to it is a wrecking ball and not a munster final

I heard they are doing it up in September, hopefully that's true as its ridiculous holding any matches there the state it's in.

Yeah heading up wed eve more in hope me thinks!! Collins will be a big loss but at least forde is back in, limerick will have to much in the tank for us this time .... Gonna have to listen to the limerick lads which will be hard!!

mags85 wrote: »
    I heard they are doing it up in September, hopefully that's true as its ridiculous holding any matches there the state it's in.

Ye Tomas Mulcahy who would agree with the general consensus on the ground and was pretty much saying the same thing yesterday. he said there is alot of red tape involved with the agri society owning the showgrounds beside it and any development would depend on the gaa acquiring their land.

To be honest i think the cranes and bulldozers should just go in today and level the whole stadium once and for all. It was a design cock-up built in the 1970s at a time when the people knew no better and were treated like animals going to matches

Actually the site itself is a small bit inconvienient considering most traffic from all the other counties more or less approach Cork at Dunkettle which is north of the City. the stadium is the opposite side of the river which there is few enough bridges and a fairly active harbour that would prevent any bridge (lifted or otherwise) from being built west of the bridge on Penrose Quay

Yeah heading up wed eve more in hope me thinks!! Collins will be a big loss but at least forde is back in, limerick will have to much in the tank for us this time .... Gonna have to listen to the limerick lads which will be hard!!

Collins is indeed a loss. Was incredible the last day. Forde is some talent. Was wasted at centre back for the minors last year. Considering all the experience Limerick have its a huge ask but i wouldnt completely write us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Who got man of the match
    Yesterday?

Who got man of the match
    Yesterday?

Waterford no 7 at wing back Kevin Moran. He had a great game in fairness to him. Think JOB can feel hard done by though

Has the team been named for the u21's on wed lads?

• Advertisement

Has the team been named for the u21's on wed lads?

Named tonight id imagine. ill post when i get any news

Can any of the Carrick posters (or anyone else for that matter) confirm for me whether Daryl Kavanagh, the Shamrock Rovers player used hurl for Carrick Swan and whether he is from Tipp or Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well I hope yesterday put an end to all the madness of people claiming Johnno wasn't worth he's place :rolleyes:

Well I hope yesterday put an end to all the madness of people claiming Johnno wasn't worth he's place :rolleyes:

Cannot understand the negativity toward Johno myself. Lad owes Tipp nothing and has a great pair of hands. Brilliant sticksman. Took beautiful scores yesterday. To play the level he is playing at the moment is incredible but to come back and do it after a serious car crash is amazing altogether.

My fear with Tipp at the moment as i stated earlier is that they start slow. The intensity gradually builds. Not sure we will get away with that against Galway or Kilkenny who start at 100 mile an hour. Kilkenny in particular are most efficient with possession. But if its tight going into the last quarter whether its level or give or take a 1 or 2 point advantage then my money is on Tipp no matter who the opposition is. I think we have the legs for any of them.

Madness the management didnt give Lar a free role last year just like yesterday. Put him between midfield and the 40. Brian Hogan would be then in a dilemma whether to follow or hold his ground. Tipp made it far too easy for them and realistically goals werent on the cards while their defenders stuck that tight to us and the ball was played into a black and amber cul de sac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

http://tipptatler.ie/2012/07/tipperary-u21-hurling-team-to-play-limerick
    1. Paul Ryan (Upperchurch Drombane)
    2. Stephen Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    3. Andrew Ryan (Toomevara)
    4. Pa Ryan (Clonakenny)
    5. Willie Ryan (Clonakenny)
    6. Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    7. Justin Cahill (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    8. Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    9. Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh)
    10.John O’Dwyer (Killenaule) Captain
    11. Sean Curran (Mullinahone)
    12. Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    13. Eanna Murray (Templederry Kenyons)
    14. Cian Hogan (Lorrha & Dorrha)
    15. Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

ormond lad wrote: »
    http://tipptatler.ie/2012/07/tipperary-u21-hurling-team-to-play-limerick
    1. Paul Ryan (Upperchurch Drombane)
    2. Stephen Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    3. Andrew Ryan (Toomevara)
    4. Pa Ryan (Clonakenny)
    5. Willie Ryan (Clonakenny)
    6. Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    7. Justin Cahill (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    8. Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    9. Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh)
    10.John O’Dwyer (Killenaule) Captain
    11. Sean Curran (Mullinahone)
    12. Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    13. Eanna Murray (Templederry Kenyons)
    14. Cian Hogan (Lorrha & Dorrha)
    15. Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

Good team in fairness. Collins a huge loss. The lad can play anywhere but that Cian Hogan isnt half bad. He is a big chap and will give plenty to think about to their full back.

Limerick U21 Hurling Team v Tipperary 18/7/12 Link here

1. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    4. Stephen O’Reilly (Ballybrown)
    5. Robert Egan (Kilmallock) – Captain
    6. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    7. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    8. Shane Kenny (Ballybrown)
    9. Seanie O’Brien (Patrickswell)
    10. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Niall Kennedy (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    12. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    13. Mikey Ryan (Murroe/Boher)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Willie Griffin (Adare)

Hannon is playing centre back for them so it will be interesting to see the battle between him and Seany Curran though id have to admit it surprises me to see a forward of his ability back there. It worried me that we played Noel there last year and Jason forde for the minors so is it a case of having no better centre backs or an abundance of quality forwards that you can afford to play him there?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

One thing i noticed about Tipp is that they start off slow and gradually build up momentum and finish very strong. Now if we could keep it water tight thats well and good but if a great team like Kilkenny or that Galway team who dismantled Kilkenny gets a lead on us just as KK did last year we'll face an uphill battle.

This is exactly my fear for the Tipp team this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Can any of the Carrick posters (or anyone else for that matter) confirm for me whether Daryl Kavanagh, the Shamrock Rovers player used hurl for Carrick Swan and whether he is from Tipp or Waterford?
    He's a Tipp man no doubt about that I'd say,and as far as I know he hurled for the Swan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It would take Duignin a Biffo to give MOTM to a player on the loosing team rather than give it to a Tipp man.Cummins,Cahil or Paudie Maher should have got it but no surprise that RTE f**k it up again.

Advertisement